WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Not a QC issue, just a poorly implemented method of keeping that wheel steady and true, IMO.
One presumes they have decided that the best result is to allow the marking to occur on a highly polished surface (not to mention reducing frictional losses) rather than brushed or other decorative finish.
I doubt there’ll be anything offered other than a cursory sympathetic response, as it would require being re-engineered, and presumably they arrived at this solution after thinking of alternative ways and means of achieving the same aim.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a QC issue, just a poorly implemented method of keeping that wheel steady and true, IMO.
One presumes they have decided that the best result is to allow the marking to occur on a highly polished surface (not to mention reducing frictional losses) rather than brushed or other decorative finish.
I doubt there’ll be anything offered other than a cursory sympathetic response, as it would require being re-engineered, and presumably they arrived at this solution after thinking of alternative ways and means of achieving the same aim.
You are almost certainly correct. Nevertheless, if Lange knows about the problem and seemingly is "fine" with it is not acceptable.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
TJMike...Hello.

Considering the many ( many! ) years that this Company's been in business--and the vast reservoir of knowledge as relates to proper mechanical design and fabrication that they have surely acquired--I respectfully suggest that what we are looking at here is a rare--very rare--instance where a mis-alignment / mistake in fabrication or assembly has occurred.

It is a simple matter to design this wheel so that it never rubs against anything that will damage it.

Let's allow Lange the 'benefit of the doubt' here, and assume that this situation is Rare, and is being attended to at the Factory.

Michael.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TJMike...Hello.

Considering the many ( many! ) years that this Company's been in business--and the vast reservoir of knowledge as relates to proper mechanical design and fabrication that they have surely acquired--I respectfully suggest that what we are looking at here is a rare--very rare--instance where a mis-alignment / mistake in fabrication or assembly has occurred.

It is a simple matter to design this wheel so that it never rubs against anything that will damage it.

Let's allow Lange the 'benefit of the doubt' here, and assume that this situation is Rare, and is being attended to at the Factory.

Michael.
I would give Lange the benefit of doubt (and I am a big fan of the brand), except the issue appears on a number of Sax-O-Mat models. It is just not a “bad” batch.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Here is a picture of mine after I bought it (new) early this year; it appears pristine, although I realize that's not dispositive of the issue. Next week I can take a look and see if there are any signs now that it's been running for months.

Lange AC Back copy.jpg

·
Registered
14,862 Posts
Hmmmm, if design flaw, could the Sax AC be affected with it's micro rotor setup, though maybe not the exact movement calibre?

·
Registered
14,862 Posts
Mine is a Saxonia AC.
Thanks mlcor . . . I've always like that model, hopefully you will experience no problems and it can continue to be a piece that I hope to acquire one day . . .

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Thanks mlcor . . . I've always like that model, hopefully you will experience no problems and it can continue to be a piece that I hope to acquire one day . . .
I will post to this thread again when I have the opportunity to look at the movement as it is now, after six months of use...

·
Registered
427 Posts
where those photos posted on Rolex form of a brand new watch? or where they from a 2nd hand watch?
i have seen watches that looked mint and upon closer inspection of the movement appears to have clearly been serviced a watch maker that might not have been familiar with the watch. scratches on the dial only visible under lupe, scratches on information display disks etc

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
As promised, here some macros from my Annual Calendar taken today. I realize this is anecdotal evidence, but I see no marks on mine, which I’ve had since January. It’s either been on a winder or my wrist since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
13,351 Posts
As promised, here some macros from my Annual Calendar taken today. I realize this is anecdotal evidence, but I see no marks on mine, which I’ve had since January. It’s either been on a winder or my wrist since then.

So based on these photos, are we concluding that the Sax does not have a design flaw and the OP (and other posters) experienced some randomly-occurring QC problems?

Not sure what to think at this point.

·
Premium Member
6,694 Posts
So based on these photos, are we concluding that the Sax does not have a design flaw and the OP (and other posters) experienced some randomly-occurring QC problems?
I would say you don't really know that, unless you know what percentage of the watches have the issue, and what the root cause is. And you'll probably never know that - but ALS will.

If some very small percentage, like 1%, of the watches show this problem, and the cause is something off or wrong in the assembly or test on those watches, then I'd say there isn't a design flaw and it's a QC issue. But if it's a much higher percentage, or if the problem occurs sometimes even when everything is in spec (i.e. QC can't prevent the issue), then I would call it a design flaw. It might be a flaw ALS chooses not to correct if it's still a rare occurence, but it would be a flaw nonetheless.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I would say you don't really know that, unless you know what percentage of the watches have the issue, and what the root cause is. And you'll probably never know that - but ALS will.

If some very small percentage, like 1%, of the watches show this problem, and the cause is something off or wrong in the assembly or test on those watches, then I'd say there isn't a design flaw and it's a QC issue. But if it's a much higher percentage, or if the problem occurs sometimes even when everything is in spec (i.e. QC can't prevent the issue), then I would call it a design flaw. It might be a flaw ALS chooses not to correct if it's still a rare occurence, but it would be a flaw nonetheless.
I think that's right, which is why I prefaced my pictures with the "anecdotal evidence" caveat. Just because mine (so far at least) exhibits no signs of the problem means nothing more than there is at least one watch out there that isn't affected, at least not for the first eight months of ownership. We probably can't get a statistically large enough sample to draw a conclusion as to whether it's rare or not. Only Lange can know that.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Not sure what to think at this point.
Mclor's watch does not have the issue (curious; mclor, what would you have done if your watch had the issue?). There are a number of others that do, including one sent out for review. I doubt Lange is sending a watch to reviewers that has not been inspected to the nth degree. As such, I doubt it is a QC issue and more like a design flaw that may affect a certain number of watches. But as others have said, no one apart from Lange will ever really know.

Oh, I do not have a Lange Sax-o-Mat; just passing on information.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Mclor's watch does not have the issue (curious; mclor, what would you have done if your watch had the issue?).
I would have shared this thread, and the situation with my watch, with my AD, who is very very well connected with Lange (they just opened a boutique for Lange in addition to their main store). Since that’s not the case, and all we have is a couple of instances, I’m reluctant to say anything. As I understand it from this thread, the question has already been asked of them, and it will be interesting to see if/what they answer.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mclor's watch does not have the issue (curious; mclor, what would you have done if your watch had the issue?).
I would have shared this thread, and the situation with my watch, with my AD, who is very very well connected with Lange (they just opened a boutique for Lange in addition to their main store). Since that’s not the case, and all we have is a couple of instances, I’m reluctant to say anything. As I understand it from this thread, the question has already been asked of them, and it will be interesting to see if/what they answer.

Well connected, but said the Lange sports watch was coming this year?! 🙂 In case you have not heard, the sports watch is all but confirmed for next year.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Well connected, but said the Lange sports watch was coming this year?! �� In case you have not heard, the sports watch is all but confirmed for next year.
I saw Tim’s YouTube video. All I’m going to say is we’ll see.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts