WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read about a Lange sports watch release on the horizon in another thread here and was wondering if anyone has more information? I was considering an AP but would much rather wait to see what Lange is going to release if that is true. Nothing touches their finishing!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Same here, read it on WPS and it makes me want to hold off all purchases, except Sub ND as I'm already on the waitlist. Would be great if Lange releases a Steel model, hopefully not a limited release. Pretty sure someone on a thread I started here said to expect something in October(or something similar).

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Same thing here. As much as I like RO and Nautilus, it's nto enough to pay those premiums.

Is there any additional source for this other than Tim?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I heard it would be steel, with an integrated bracelet and priced around 30k USD. Limited edition. No more info than that so far.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Ohhh, very interesting. Excited to see pictures!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anything? I'm contemplating a few purchases but don't want to buy and then have this come out right after. 🙂

·
Premium Member
20,863 Posts
Looking forward to seeing it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Where does this information come from? If they would indeed launch such a watch, it would be a colossal break from their current marketing philosophy and I question if they would do that for a limited edition. Doesn't really make a lot of sense given the development costs of such a watch.

Common sense would suggest this is either just wishful thinking or they would launch it as a permanent addition to their offering.

·
Premium Member
20,863 Posts
Where does this information come from? If they would indeed launch such a watch, it would be a colossal break from their current marketing philosophy and I question if they would do that for a limited edition. Doesn't really make a lot of sense given the development costs of such a watch.

Common sense would suggest this is either just wishful thinking or they would launch it as a permanent addition to their offering.
Indeed, retooling to handle stainless steel is a nontrivial endeavor, even in the age of CNC machines.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Indeed, retooling to handle stainless steel is a nontrivial endeavor, even in the age of CNC machines.
It goes beyond that. Just think about the bracelet, in order to compete in this space it would have to be at least on Rolex or Glashütte-Original level and that would mean a major development which would easily run in the millions. Then there is the question of water resistance, their current watches have nowhere near the levels required for such a sports watch and it continues to marketing and overlaps at their AD network.

·
Premium Member
20,863 Posts
It goes beyond that. Just think about the bracelet, in order to compete in this space it would have to be at least on Rolex or Glashütte-Original level and that would mean a major development which would easily run in the millions. Then there is the question of water resistance, their current watches have nowhere near the levels required for such a sports watch and it continues to marketing and overlaps at their AD network.
I agree, developing a sports watch of the quality and refinement of a Patek Nautilus, AP Royal Oak, or VC Overseas requires a nontrivial investment, and even a $30K limited edition isn’t going to come close to recouping the development costs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree, developing a sports watch of the quality and refinement of a Patek Nautilus, AP Royal Oak, or VC Overseas requires a nontrivial investment, and even a $30K limited edition isn’t going to come close to recouping the development costs.
Lange subcontracts all case production, so there's no investment required here, other than coming up with the design. Stainless is not an issue for these subcontractors, one of which happens to produce...the Royal Oak :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Lange subcontracts all case production, so there's no investment required here, other than coming up with the design. Stainless is not an issue for these subcontractors, one of which happens to produce...the Royal Oak :)

Ah yes, the subcontractors will be happy to develop a completely new watch case production process free of charge for a limited production run. So that's sorted then.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I heard this will not be a limited edition. It will be a standard-production watch. We will see in 3 weeks!
That would certainly make more sense than a limited edition. A big break from tradition, but those are necessary sometimes. They must be looking with envy at what's happening with steel Patek and Audemars Piguet watches, it would be outright stupid if they wouldn't at least consider this. But they will need an iconic design (which is one of the strengths of the brand).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Get your wish lists ready.
Mine is modest because I'm taking as given that the craftsmanship/finishing will be to the Lange standard:

--Not too big (no bigger than the 40.5mm of Grand Lange)
--Something I can swim with
--Some measure of anti-magnetism
--GMT
--Date (double window Lange style)

4/5 and it's "Shut up and take my money!"

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Wow 30k will put it far above RO 15500 msrp which is around 19k, overseas v3 msrp is around 19-20k too. Not sure it will be well received unless it’s absolutely breathtaking

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
They must be looking with envy at what's happening with steel Patek and Audemars Piguet watches, it would be outright stupid if they wouldn't at least consider this.
Yes, this was likely the motivation for Lange's decision. Personally, I never understood the craze about steel Patek and AP watches -- why, when a marketing department decides to make some of their watch cases out of the most ordinary metal, people go crazy and these watches command such a premium. I'd much rather have a platinum case than a steel case unless the steel watch costs significantly less money.

Also, given Lange's small annual production, they won't be able to make very many of these in any event. I'll be curious to see if Lange will now use steel more regularly for limited edition pieces (in the way that they've been using honey gold), and also if the upcoming non-limited steel watch will command a premium on the secondary market in the next few years. I have a feeling that it won't command much of a premium -- that it won't be like PP or AP steel pieces -- but I can't articulate why I feel that way, and of course I might end up being completely wrong.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts