WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
https://imgur.com/Kye0F5m

This is possibly the only image ever made of a 2009 Lange & Sohne Zeitwerk wrist watch and a circa 1895 Gedeon Thommen / Spaulding pocket watch.

The pocket watch, signed dial Spaulding & Co., is mine, the Zeitwerk is not.

Both watches have something in common. Neither watch has a minute hand nor an hour hand. Both watches have both a digital jump hour and digital jump minute. It is rather common (in yesteryear as well as contemporary) to have a jumping digital hour, but it is rather unique to have the minutes on a jumping disk, as opposed to a minute hand or a rotating (nonjumping) disk.

Both are wind up watches, no automatics here.

The pocket watch began its life as a Gedeon Thommen with an unsigned dial and movement signed GT. The movement broke and was unfixable, hard to find parts. Thoth, in Wisconsin, sold and installed for me a very nice "Majestic Watch Co." signed movement with a Spaulding & Co. Dial, and he did some cleaning to the jewels made some adjustments, and lathe turned my GT's crown stem to get it to fit the Majestic Spaulding.

Spaulding & Co. was a well known Chicago jeweler, known mostly for its silver, and this is the only Spaulding watch I have ever seen. I am pretty sure that Gedeon Thommen made this for Majestic Watch co. and Majestic sold it through Spaulding & Co.

This design is very similar to the Pallweber design from same time period, which was sold by IWC and Cortebert, the primary difference being different patents, and the GT has the Hour and Minutes very near each other on the dial, and the Pallweber has the hours much higher up on the dial. The GT also has slightly larger easier to read numbers.

The GT pocket watch, on its back, is accurate to 1 or 2 minutes per day, but in my pocket it can easily be off by 45 minutes over the course of the day. Hopefully a good cleaning will remedy this as parts are hard to find for this watch.

The Zeitwerk is sort of a knock off (homage?) of the GT and Pallwebers, and is very thick, sort of like a squat Campbells soup can, although perhaps that is just sour grapes talking as Zeitwerk is a bit out of my budget.

During the world wars Gedeon Thommen got out of the watch business and made airplane altimeters, etc., sold under the REVUE THOMMEN name. (They are still in business selling airplane items). They eventually licensed the Thommen name for watch manufacturing, and Revue Thommen watches are a bit of a thing in Europe, but I have never seen on in the US.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
20,337 Posts
Welcome to Watchuseek. That's an interesting pocket watch you have there. However, it is wrong to think that the Lange & Söhne was modelled on the GT PW - it is modelled on the Semperoper five minute clock in Dresden (it indicates to visitors when the interval is over) that was built by Johann Gutkaes and Adolf Lange rather earlier than your pocket watch was made.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to Watchuseek. That's an interesting pocket watch you have there. However, it is wrong to think that the Lange & Söhne was modelled on the GT PW - it is modelled on the Semperoper five minute clock in Dresden (it indicates to visitors when the interval is over) that was built by Johann Gutkaes and Adolf Lange rather earlier than your pocket watch was made.

Hartmut Richter
I stand corrected. Thanks

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.