WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am from the school of, if a watch is worn with a suit, it's a dress watch. If it's worn with a polo and shorts, it's a sport watch. Not everyone is like me though, so naturally I am looking for a top ten brand that makes a watch that would be considered a dress watch, but has cases in the mega size categories. I know I won't find this with Rolex, but maybe some of the other brands, Omega, Breitling, AP, Zenith. I know this is a difficult task here, if not impossible. Once you get to these sizes, it is almost always some sports watch, such as Hublot and Panerai. Is there anyone out there with some suggestions?

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
True, large diameter dress watches are hard to find. Some of them are large due to special complications, but then it also gets really expensive. The 46mm Lange 31 is such an example. See this picture from aBlogtoWatch:

In a price range comparable to Rolex, IWC, etc., there's for example the Glashütte Original Senator Observer at 44mm.

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
Not everyone's cup of tea, or mug of coffee, but many "marriage" watches (old pocket watch movements in new cases) clock in at 43-45, and many would be suitable for "dress". Here's one I used to have, for an example.
IMG_6354 d.JPG

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IWC have a few

This Portugieser Annual Calendar comes close at 44.2

The Portofino is 45mm

IWC is probably the one I was looking at the closest. This is a difficult task and they have a few more options than A. Lange & Sohne. I figured those two, and maybe Cartier XL watches were about the closest big boys would get.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
True, large diameter dress watches are hard to find. Some of them are large due to special complications, but then it also gets really expensive. The 46mm Lange 31 is such an example. See this picture from aBlogtoWatch:

In a price range comparable to Rolex, IWC, etc., there's for example the Glashütte Original Senator Observer at 44mm.

I love the Lange 31. The ONLY drawback is it's limited options. It is by far one of the best pieces of German engineering on the planet(yes better than their cars:)). I was looking at Glashuttte Original for myself, but then I realized, my department store Bulova is 46mm. I really do need large cases. I'm not a big dude, but I have been cursed with larger than average bones which makes my wrist almost 8".

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not everyone's cup of tea, or mug of coffee, but many "marriage" watches (old pocket watch movements in new cases) clock in at 43-45, and many would be suitable for "dress". Here's one I used to have, for an example. View attachment 15504241
These watches are definitely not my cup of tea, but I understand them. They look too old if you understand what I mean. I like more classic vs. antique style. It's hard to put into words.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Unless one has pretty big wrists, a 45mm+ watch is simply too big, IMO, to be a dress watch. But I'm old school when it comes to watches, wardrobe, etc.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unless one has pretty big wrists, a 45mm+ watch is simply too big, IMO, to be a dress watch. But I'm old school when it comes to watches, wardrobe, etc.
Yes that is exactly the dilemma, I have a 46mm department store Bulova on and it definitely has space to spare. I'm not even a big guy, just tall and lanky with big wrists.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Yes that is exactly the dilemma, I have a 46mm department store Bulova on and it definitely has space to spare. I'm not even a big guy, just tall and lanky with big wrists.
So it's really all in the wrist size. With my 6.75" wrist, those would be way too large for me. But consider, back in the day, no matter the wrist size, men wore watches no larger than 36mm typically. Still, for a dress watch, IMO, 40mm max regardless of wrist size. Sports and casual watches have different rules. I mean, look at all the skinny wristed young guys, especially in Japan that wear those giant G-Shocks. Over there, it's a street fashion statement.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So it's really all in the wrist size. With my 6.75" wrist, those would be way too large for me. But consider, back in the day, no matter the wrist size, men wore watches no larger than 36mm typically. Still, for a dress watch, IMO, 40mm max regardless of wrist size. Sports and casual watches have different rules. I mean, look at all the skinny wristed young guys, especially in Japan that wear those giant G-Shocks. Over there, it's a street fashion statement.
HAHA I am picturing it now. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cartier Ballon Bleu XL may be the winner at 46mm. It will take some saving to get there. I could "fill in the gap" with an IWC though.

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
While not quite as gigantic as you're looking for, the Breitling Transocean runs 43mm. That’s still pretty damned oversized for a dress watch.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I am from the school of, if a watch is worn with a suit, it's a dress watch. If it's worn with a polo and shorts, it's a sport watch. Not everyone is like me though, so naturally I am looking for a top ten brand that makes a watch that would be considered a dress watch, but has cases in the mega size categories. I know I won't find this with Rolex, but maybe some of the other brands, Omega, Breitling, AP, Zenith. I know this is a difficult task here, if not impossible. Once you get to these sizes, it is almost always some sports watch, such as Hublot and Panerai. Is there anyone out there with some suggestions?
The Chronoswiss Grand Regulateur is a magnificent piece of chunk at 44mm:
There is also a version in this line that is an actual pocket watch that you can insert into its strap fixtures and wear as a wrist watch.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Just about anything IWC Portugieser. Really you could fill a top 10 with just IWC Portugieser models: small seconds, small seconds w/ date & PR, chrono, rattrapante chrono, yacht club, moon & tide, annual calendar, perpetual calendar, minute repeater, etc.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
While not quite as gigantic as you're looking for, the Breitling Transocean runs 43mm. That’s still pretty damned oversized for a dress watch.

View attachment 15505106
I have worn 43mm Tag Heuers. I had the PVD Black/Blue Way208B. It was a little small for me, however for the sport watch, SuperOceans hit that sweet spot, however I have a slight afinity for the Planet Oceans.

·
Premium Member
3,060 Posts
I have worn 43mm Tag Heuers. I had the PVD Black/Blue Way208B. It was a little small for me, however for the sport watch, SuperOceans hit that sweet spot, however I have a slight afinity for the Planet Oceans.
I‘m sure you understand that an “all dial“ dress watch with a thin bezel will wear larger than a sports watch with a thick bezel and proportionally smaller dial.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I‘m sure you understand that an “all dial“ dress watch with a thin bezel will wear larger than a sports watch with a thick bezel and proportionally smaller dial.
I do, I haven't experienced it though because I have only ever had divers, and my 46mm department store watch.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It's 2020, what's a "suit"?

·
Registered
359 Posts
You'd be surprised at how big you can wear. I have a 6" wrist and wear a 50mm+ Garmin Fenix 3 and it fits just fine.

What I look at is the lug to lug size and the curve of the lugs. That seems to be a much better measurement over the width.

With that said, I do like to stay below 41mm (my most narrow watch is 39mm).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts