WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All-

This is my first post on this sub forum. Apologies if my google skills are weak but I can't seem to find a large (45mm+) HAQ that would qualify as semi-dressy. These terms are subjective I know. I have an 8 inch wrist and many pieces 40mm and smaller are just too dainty for me and often are not very legible. Im looking for something without a dive style bezel and many chronographs are too cluttered for my taste.

I would ideally like something with a sweeping seconds feature, sapphire crystal, and great lume, if such a beast exists. I'mnot too concerned with price or brand. I am a noob to HAQs but I own a couple of mechanical watches and a spring drive tuna.

In looking around I've seen a few cool Bulovas like the 96b158, the UHF military, and the Lunar Pilot. I do not much care for the styling of most of the Percisionist line. Grand Seikos are very cool but many of their JDM models just aren't big enough for my taste.

Let me know what is out there. Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi All-

This is my first post on this sub forum. Apologies if my google skills are weak but I can't seem to find a large (45mm+) HAQ that would qualify as semi-dressy. These terms are subjective I know. I have an 8 inch wrist and many pieces 40mm and smaller are just too dainty to me and often are not very legiable. Im looking for something without a dive style bezel and many chronimeters are too cluttered for my taste.

I would ideally like something with a sweeping seconds feature, sapphire crystal, and great lume, if such a beast exists. Im not too comcerned with price or brand. I am a noob to HAQs but I own a couple of mechanical watches and a spring drive tuna.

In looking around I've seen a few cool Bulovas like the 96b158, the UHF military, and the Lunar Pilot. I do not much care for the styling of most of the Percisionist line. Grand Seikos are very cool but many of their JDM models just aren't big enough for my taste.

Let me know what is out there. Thank you for your time.
I have a Bulova Lunar Pilot and a blue Lobster. You could dress up the Lobster, but the lume is just OK and the crystal is mineral. The Lunar Pilot is one of my favorite watches. The lume is also just OK but the dial is easy to read, the crystal is sapphire with AR, and it looks a heck of a lot like an Omega Speedmaster. Make sure that if you want the bracelet, you buy it with the bracelet. The bracelet and strap versions of the Lunar Pilot have lug holes in different places, so you can't fit a bracelet on the strap version. But you could always buy an aftermarket strap for the bracelet version.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hanks Aardy. I saw a pvd version of the lunar pilot I really liked. I could always pay a watch guy to put obscene amounts of lume on as a project. A moon watch should glow, right?

·
Registered
421 Posts
You just described a Bulova Sea King with a bracelet. This watch was discontinued the last time I checked, but you may still be able to find one. Either the Black Ionbond non-chronograph model or the stainless chronograph model might suit your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
I must really be living in an alternate reality - things just don't make logical sense anymore.

First:

Im looking for something without a dive style bezel ...
The response:

You just described a Bulova Sea King with a bracelet.

or

In what reality are all these elements congruent?

Rant over/

·
Registered
421 Posts
I must really be living in an alternate reality - things just don't make logical sense anymore.

First:

The response:

or

In what reality are all these elements congruent?

Rant over/
Ok, so 1 box is not checked. The rest are checked nicely. The OP may just as easily take or disregard my suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the suggestion Bill. Something in a compressor style case with an internal bezel MIGHT do, but that tractor-tire is a no go. You are right however in that in other respects it meets the criteria.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gents- Thanks for the suggestions thus far. Besides Seiko/Citizen, Omega, Brietling, and Longines, and Bulova, whom should I be looking at? Are there "boutique" HAQ brands that might meet my requirements?

·
Registered
12,702 Posts
Not HAQ. And you’d have to buy used. And they don’t surface very often - maybe some Watch Recon and eBay alerts and want-to-buy posts will turn something up for you. But the Maratac Pilot quartz (large is what you’d be looking for). It ticks at 4 beats per second.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Well the only watch that I know of with sweep second hand, Sapphire crystal, HAQ, 44mm, great visibility in the dark is the Apple watch.

Everything else there are going to be trade offs. Bulova will give you some nice dressy/sporty 3 hand options in the Precisionist line at 42 to 43mm, lume is okay but not sapphire crystal. Breitling you'll get the saphire, size 46mm, lume, and HAQ but not a sweep second hand, and all of them pretty much have a dive bezel except the B55.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks wbird. Totally understand tradeoffs. I got a Lunar Pilot off the sales forum. Not technically a HAQ and lume is only ok, but it has sweeping seconds hand, very good accuracy, and saphire crystal. Also like the history assoicsted with the watch. If I love the watch, Ill put a little money into getting the lume jazzed up.

I saw a Certina DS2 (i think was the model) dress watch that looked great. A larger, dressy HAQ. My trouble is, l love the sweeping seconds hand of a mechanical and the accuracy of a quartz. When I see ticking, I just think of a run of the mill cheap fashion watch.

I blame the tiny wristed Japanese market for this. If Seiko only made a 45mm snowflake with some luminessence, I'd have my perfect watch. :)

Do keep the suggestions comming though. I'm becoming a serial watch flipper.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts