WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many dont realise that connies come in 2 sizes. The regular connies are 34mm in size (left hand watch) but you can get later connies which are larger at 36mm in size (right hand watch). These connies have a hidden crown under case and although it does make it more fiddly to make a date / time change i think it makes the case look more balanced. The lugs are verydifferent between the 2 types of connies and i actually prefer the lug designs on the smaller 34mm connies rather than the straight lug designs of the larger connie. The crystal of these connies tends to sit up rather higher too which does make the design fairly unique.
I have been after one of these larger connies for a while, but they do seem harder to find especially in original condition... here is an all original cal 561 i picked up next to its cal 564 smaller brother. It has a scrtach near 10pm marker but otherwise watch is mint. In terms of which is my favoruite i would say i prefer the 34mm design..

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Just gorgeous Mamas..:p :p :p

·
Premium Member
13,242 Posts
a fine watch:)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi, great comment, but i have attached a picture of a Connie with old style lugs, this watch is big size and measures 36mm, there are few outhere, they were made for the US marked.:thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stefan, i have never seen this design in 36mm... this is very interesting. Another nice piece from the 'connie master' from iceland :-!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes my friend life is full of surprises, as you can see on the pictures of the movement there is a extra outer ring to fit it to the case., and if you look closely to the top of the strap it is marked 20mm between the lugs on this beauty, case ref is 168 001 and it got golden observatory on the back, the crystal is original Omega with a magnifying window, this watch dates back to 1966, maybe rare, it was the first Constellation i bought and i wore it daily for some years then i sold it, i regret it afterwards but somewhere you have to draw the line.:-!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I quite like the look of the over-sized dial and hidden crown. I have seen a few of them going about the place - 168.004s and 168.010s. I have not however seen the 168.018 anywhere as yet. My research indicates that these three models (168.004, 168.010, 168.018) are the only constellations to feature the 'hidden crown'. Though I am sure there are more knowledgeable people around here to correct me if I am wrong :think:.

Beautiful watches, I always have at least one eye on the look out for them!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Hi

Nice SS case - quite similar to some Seamasters cased in the US - whats the case back number on yours ursmidur?

Cheers

desmond

Hi, great comment, but i have attached a picture of a Connie with old style lugs, this watch is big size and measures 36mm, there are few outhere, they were made for the US marked.:thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi

Nice SS case - quite similar to some Seamasters cased in the US - whats the case back number on yours ursmidur?

Cheers

desmond
Hi, it is 168 001, this case is the same shape as the 14393 8 SC which is about 34mm, i have attached some pictures of the smaller version, this one is from 1961, as you can se no outer ring needed to fit the movement in to the case. The last pictures showes the caliber 561 after i cleaned it.

santasmile

1 - 11 of 11 Posts