WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd pass along this fun concept from Yanko Design. Can't wait to see the diver :-d

"Aurora is a watch that doesn’t have an apparent dial. There’s more of a transparent face with no signs of the hour or minutes hand. It’s not as if the designer forgot to put them there, he just got innovative and decided to perk up this analog piece by including funky laser light beams for the hands. The red beam indicates the minutes and the blue depicts the hour. They appear only when you tap the bevel edge around the watch ring; until then it’s just a hip jewelry around your wrist."

·
Registered
405 Posts
I don't get the "automatic" and "officially certified chronometer" bits, but apart from that it's quite awesome. A pity it's just a concept. :-(

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Very interesting - thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
That's pretty darn cool.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Actually, that's pretty darn cool. |>

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Having been a designer, I am aware of the fact that what makes some of these "design concepts" good, has nothing to do with the laws of physics.

A laser cannot be seen from the side, otherwise you can see a red line coming out of a laser pointer. Likewise, it cannot just fizzle out at a pre-determined distance. So this whole thing might be cool, but what makes it cool cannot be done.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Having been a designer, I am aware of the fact that what makes some of these "design concepts" good, has nothing to do with the laws of physics.

A laser cannot be seen from the side, otherwise you can see a red line coming out of a laser pointer. Likewise, it cannot just fizzle out at a pre-determined distance. So this whole thing might be cool, but what makes it cool cannot be done.

I'd like to think that this would be possible with simple, doable design changes. Lasers can be seen if the there is a gaseous density that refracts light. So instead of having a completely empty hole in the center, a gaseous layer can be trapped between transparent covers, top and bottom. The second part of having a laser beam that only runs through the radius of the watch would require a center "pole" to stop the laser dead center.

So technically, if they aren't stubborn about having a completely empty hole where the dial should be they should be able to create this.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts