WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 weeks ago I was itching to get a Speedmaster X33 and thought it would be a great year ending purchase for 2011..

I was really looking for a premium/semi-premium digital-analog combination watch for daily use and since I have migrated my collection to an all omega roster recently, the x33 seemed to be the obvious target

I just had 2 hiccups along the way...

First, i had a dilemma on the titanium case and bracelet- it didn't really appeal to me having owned several Oris TT1s and Pro Divers before...they are so easy to scuff and almost impossible to restore unlike ss cases. But that did not stop me from wanting it because I knew it probably wouldn't last with me that long to worry about the titanium aging and scuffing anyway. This dilemma caused me to slightly delay in the purchase to do more research and eventually led me to hiccup #2..

If you guys saw my last thread, while I was searching for the right x33 to buy, I stumbled into an immaculate Speedy 3510 that was too hard to pass up on
and I eventually bought it, eating up a big chunk of my X33 funds.

Now the Speedy Reduced did arrive and I have absolutely no regrets with that one as I love it but my craving for the X33 was still there so I started looking for some alternatives to see if any other watch could kill the craving.

There were 2 watches that caught my eye..the first one was the Victorinox that Jake G. wore in The Source Code and the Tag Heuer Aquaracer Chronotimer. Because of the xmas rush, I thought I'd go retail on this purchase.

After a day of window-shopping and fitting, the Tag won the match up and is officially now my "poor man's x33" :)

It just ticked all the boxes for me with the case being stainless steel, good 43-44mm size, tachy markers, and a diver's watch to boot.

It's no X33 but good enough to feed the beast I reckon..

As always, any violent reactions
or objections are welcome :)

Sent via Tapatalk for Blackberry

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Sorry, the photo uploader on this app is not the best..for some reason it keeps inverting the photos

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
That's a really cool watch! I also like that Victorinox you were talking about, I wouldn't mind having one of those myself. I've been obsessed with Breitling anadigis as of late, but I can't justify the expense.

Congratulations! My last watch of 2011 is on the truck right now. I can't wait to get it.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
+1 on the Victorinox..it's well priced too specially if you buy it online...retail, it was a bit overpriced in the shop where I found it. Whereas I was able to bargain my way into online price range on the Chronotimer.

When your last watch for 2011 arrives, post it here but don't make me drool too much as I don't want to spend a cent more this year haha :)

That's a really cool watch! I also like that Victorinox you were talking about, I wouldn't mind having one of those myself. I've been obsessed with Breitling anadigis as of late, but I can't justify the expense.

Congratulations! My last watch of 2011 is on the truck right now. I can't wait to get it.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
I purchased a chronotimer a few years back after researching the similar options. Never a moments regret as I've found very little to criticize. It has become my watch of choice for those movie date nights. I purchased it on the bracelet, but I have switched to the rubber strap because I like the rugged look.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Very nice, i'm new to Tag, having purchased my two Tag's recently, so i've never seen one of those before, looks like something i could go with further down the line (my last purchase of the year has passed! ;-().

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
It's a nice watch, that's for sure.
However, if it were me, I'd have probably gone for a second hand Breitling Aerospace.

cheers,
Jake.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's good to know! I actually ordered a sailcloth from bradystraps last night for it..i'd love to have a rubber one too but the OEM strap is so darn expensive...i'm thinking maybe an orange or blue isofrane or hirsch extreme later on. I think it will also go well with a quality carbon fiber strap..oh, these watches...there's always something nice to buy down the track :)

I purchased a chronotimer a few years back after researching the similar options. Never a moments regret as I've found very little to criticize. It has become my watch of choice for those movie date nights. I purchased it on the bracelet, but I have switched to the rubber strap because I like the rugged look.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually had one earlier this year and I now regret parting with it.

i think the "aerospace look" inspired victorinox to design the XLS MT model I mentioned earlier

poor man's aerospace?

It's a nice watch, that's for sure.
However, if it were me, I'd have probably gone for a second hand Breitling Aerospace.

cheers,
Jake.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm probably the opposite...this is my first Tag after 15 years..I went thru 3 Tags when I was younger..my last one was back in college..the very first kirium model in quartz.

They also have an F1 Chronotimer which I also like.

Good luck with the watch craze!

Adam

Very nice, i'm new to Tag, having purchased my two Tag's recently, so i've never seen one of those before, looks like something i could go with further down the line (my last purchase of the year has passed! ;-().

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now that I've re-visited the other options i had..i suddenly noticed that the chronotimer still has a second hand..hmmm..i have yet to play with it so i don't know if it is for the chrono

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
poor man's aerospace?
I'd say it is almost on the same standard.
The base movement used is actually the same ETA Thermoline as the Aerospace, it is just that Breitling change a few bits.

cheers,
Jake.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
That's a nice watch, congratulations!

But, if you really want an X-33, you probably won't stop thinking about it till you get it ;-)

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
Yellow Aquatimer Chronotimer! It's like a Breitling Emergency on the cheap!

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
That's good to know! I actually ordered a sailcloth from bradystraps last night for it..i'd love to have a rubber one too but the OEM strap is so darn expensive...i'm thinking maybe an orange or blue isofrane or hirsch extreme later on. I think it will also go well with a quality carbon fiber strap..oh, these watches...there's always something nice to buy down the track :)

Check out Bonetto Cinturini. That's the brand I buy all my aftermarket rubber straps from. Great, smooth design, natural, vanilla scented rubber, reasonably priced. I prefer the "Suave" models.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you're probably right :) this watch calmed me down but if you ask me today what my next realistic purchase would be, it would still be
an x33 hahaha! At least i'll still have time to change my mind in case this digital/analog craving of mine turns out to be temporary just like
my previous projects :)

That's a nice watch, congratulations!

But, if you really want an X-33, you probably won't stop thinking about it till you get it ;-)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey, great site! thanks for the tip. It's quite scary too that they don't advertise the prices of those mouth watering straps..before I go and
humiliate myself, how affordable are they? :)

Check out Bonetto Cinturini. That's the brand I buy all my aftermarket rubber straps from. Great, smooth design, natural, vanilla scented rubber, reasonably priced. I prefer the "Suave" models.

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
hey, great site! thanks for the tip. It's quite scary too that they don't advertise the prices of those mouth watering straps..before I go and
humiliate myself, how affordable are they? :)
They're about $30 or less, depending on style. I usually buy from thewatchprince.com. I have two 22mm Suave and a 24mm something else (a little thick for my tastes).

I've thought about getting an Isofrane myself, but they're ugly and expensive as hell. If they made one without the "venting", I might give it a shot.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Yellow Aquatimer Chronotimer! It's like a Breitling Emergency on the cheap![/QUOT

similar in color only raza. i cionsider it to share more in common with the breitling b1(with greater wr of course)

·
Banned
53 Posts
Yellow Aquatimer Chronotimer! It's like a Breitling Emergency on the cheap!
And uglier. And isn't the Breitling Emergency pretty cheap (looking) anyway?

similar in color only raza. i cionsider it to share more in common with the breitling b1(with greater wr of course)
Now that I've managed to insult both the Aquatimer and the Emergency, I agree with Devon here. The B1, however, is a better looking watch than the Emergency, even if the Emergency has better features.

It's like a middle aged actress with a good "personality".

1 - 20 of 29 Posts