WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been 3 months of research on finding the perfect watch for me and I've narrowed it down to these two. I just wanted to get any final input from you all before deciding. I basically want a watch that can be both tactical and used for casual dress with the following:
rated at t100 tritium, titanium or metal (plastic stuff seems to hard to make dressy), screw down crown and back (seems to be the best way to go), preferably numbers on the face, 43-48 mm case ( wrist is 7 1/4 and 5cm wide and I like big but not gaudy), rugged and dependable (I'm in law enforcement and like to do adventurous activity), lumed bezel, Price around $1000.00

Candidate 1
Deep blue 47mm 63 tubes

Pros:
Great lume (even on bezel), automatic with exhibition case back (pretty neat), dressy and with the right strap could look tactical, not many reviews on this model but deep blue in general gets pretty positive reviews, overall classic dive look, big but not gaudy ( I don't think )

Cons:
Maybe to bright for tactical purposes, automatic (can it actually handle shooting, fighting and adventures?), cost of maintenance, maybe to dressy to be tactical? Cost ( I would die if I broke this at work!)

candidate 2
tawatec titan diver ( natural)

Pros:
quartz dependability, titanium is shiny enough to be dressy with the right strap and dull enough to be tactical. Like the numbers on the face, lume is rated t25 so it should be brite enough.

Cons:
no lume on bezel (possibly add it on later), numbers on bezel are difficult to see which could be fixed with paint or lume paint, Ronda 515 movement and not the newer 715 movement ( I don't know if this is a problem or not), tritium not as brite as deep blue

im leaning towards the tawatec but in five minutes I may want the deep blue! Any last words from anyone? I've looked at just about everything. Seems to me the deep blue would be perfect if I could just get over my fear of automatics dependability. The tawatec would be perfect if it had t100 rating and lumed bezel! This is driving me nuts!

Attachments

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I much prefer the look of the Deep Blue. The dial and bezel look a lot better to me. A bracelet is also a far more versatile look than rubber. Yes, it is an automatic, but the is also more desirable in my view. I think it would hold up fine, people have done far worse than shoot a gun and their watch has held up. Besides, its not as if you are going to be shooting all that often anyway are you? If you are going to shoot hundreds of rounds a day wearing your watch, or something you might think twice. If you are concerned you could always take off your watch off at the firing range. You should be able to get that watch serviced for $150 when the time comes if you look around. I do not think you are going to 'break' it in any substantial way in any case.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Again, I personally think you want too much out of one watch. To my mind a Tactical Watch (if it is truly to be used as such, which you make a point of saying that you will) is pretty specialized. Too much lume could make you visable, too little might not be rapidly readable. Shiny parts are a no-no, you really don't want a bracelet. And so on. But, the attribute that make a purpose driven tac watch make it a bit too "military (for lack of a better term) for 'casual dress'. I guess it's like asking you to use the same gun you tool around town with (using your concealed HG permit) and taking it to a drug cartel shoot out.
The deep blue is nice for shopping w/the wife, dinner, just hanging out but I wouldn't choose it for tactical work, although it could be done. Likewise, the Tawatec would be great for battling baddies but would be too rough for the mall.

As I recall, you recently retired or were working part time? If so, the Deep blue would serve you most of the time. Maybe you could pick up a Victorinox Renegade for under a 100 bucks - good lume but no tubes, quartz, black rubber and resin, highly legible. Next year get the Tawatec if you still need it.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
This could have gone in the other thread you made...

When your eyes are adjusted for the dark and you really need lume, I doubt you'll care too much if it's t100 or t25.

·
Premium Member
71,229 Posts
Unless you have a real reason not to want an auto then go for one. O.K. so the reliability is not quite as good as a quartz and they are more expensive to service but that's no reason not to own one. It's a well known fact that I choose watches on looks and IMO the DB is the better looking of the two.

·
Registered
14,379 Posts
I like the TAWATEC and I love titanium. I was thinking about buying one of these a few years ago but went with a Dievas Vortex instead. It has an ETA movement and they used to use titanium Fricker cases but I believe they now manufacture them in house. The lume on these bad boys was killer.

Here's a review from A Blog to Watch: Dievas Vortex Diver Watch | aBlogtoWatch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts