WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased this Omega at a swap meet for $50 a few months back, and have been trying my best to learn as much as I can about it. I've verified its authenticity with a local watchmaker, which was stationed in Nieman-Marcus, and was quoted at least $900 to repair it, as he suspected rust in the movement. Movement isn't currently working, unless I engage the crown, and then it starts ticking for a bit. Crystal needs to be replaced, as it is quite scratched. Otherwise, I love the classic look of this watch.

Here's mine:
image2.JPG

image3.JPG

image1 (2).JPG

I wanted to know if anybody has owned this model, as it seems to be a bit rare, and what your thoughts are. Few posts about it online, even fewer eBay sales.

Here was a NOS auction: 1970 Omega Constellation Watch For Sale - Mens Vintage Time only

Here was a Watchuseek discussion on it from 8 years ago: https://www.watchuseek.com/f20/new-vintage-omega-need-help-identifying-114962.html

Here was another forum's discussion on this exact model: http://www.watchprosite.com/?page=wf.forumpost&fi=677&ti=857208&pi=5825948

I'd also like any suggestions for repairing it. I feel silly not getting it brought back its former glory, as I feel that it's such a unique peace that it'd be a waste. I also want to avoid spending at least $900 if possible, as it seems like that would really be pushing it. Does anybody have a suggestion on a good watchmaker in San Diego County, CA?

Help me, as this could either become the pride of my collection or the disappointment of a lifetime.

Reactions: busmatt

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Looks mid to late seventies to me, get the case back off and post a photo of the movement please, which will tell us more.

$900 for a service is very expensive, Omega themselves may be cheaper! $300 is a more reasonable target price I would have thought from an independent watchmaker?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks mid to late seventies to me, get the case back off and post a photo of the movement please, which will tell us more.

$900 for a service is very expensive, Omega themselves may be cheaper! $300 is a more reasonable target price I would have thought from an independent watchmaker?
I can't get it open, but have seen it open, and can verify it is a Caliber 1012 movement. It's authentic. Do you know of any databases for Omega repair shops?

·
Registered
776 Posts
$900 is deffo high, Swatch Group service for it is roughly $480 + tax. An official Omega service centers may be even lower.
You do have an scratchy glass, a non-original one, because of model has a sapphire glass. You can't get new glass (approx $100) nowhere but SG or official Omega service center.
Look from Omega home pages there is a service center locator.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Do you know of any databases for Omega repair shops?
I suggest posting in the 'watchmaking' section stating your location and what model you want serviced, it doesn't necessarily have to be an approved Omega repair centre, any good watchmaker would be able to tackle your watch.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great news.

I had a watchmaker look at the watch and quote me just $250 to get it working like new again. He told me not to do that crystal, as he said it'd cost $170 and it'd have to be shipped to Omega (or another place) as the glass requires a gasket to be heat-applied.

(He also said the "crystal" was glass)

Are there any suggestions in that regard? The glass is quite scratched. Is there any solution to possibly reducing the scratches on the current crystal? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Great news
$250 is more like it. $170 for the glass may not be worth spending though. Cousins here in the UK sell many types/shapes and sizes of mineral glass that may fit?. I polished a Seiko hestalite crystal once but it did take hours, half a tube of autosol (or similar) and a few sheets and different grades of wet & dry paper, not a job for the faint hearted!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$250 is more like it. $170 for the glass may not be worth spending though. Cousins here in the UK sell many types/shapes and sizes of mineral glass that may fit?. I polished a Seiko hestalite crystal once but it did take hours, half a tube of autosol (or similar) and a few sheets and different grades of wet & dry paper, not a job for the faint hearted!
Mind explaining some of the details?

I found this guide online. Good starting point?

How to Remove Scratches from Watch Glass or Crystal - Gear Patrol

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The guide gives good info. T-cut, some types of car polish, Autosol or other metal pastes or even toothpaste, basically any liquid/paste with a cutting compound in it will suffice, along with 600, 800, 1000, 1200 & 1500 wet & dry paper. I polished the Seiko glass whilst it was in the watch because the glass protruded past the case and bezel, this may not be the same on yours? Not sure how easy it would be to polish just the glass as you would have nothing to hold on to! Perhaps practice on a cheaper watch before attempting the Omega!?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, the glass on this one protrudes quite a bit as well, so I feel that it wouldn't be too difficult to do, just possibly time consuming.

This will be my project once I get it back in a few weeks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, guys, it's alive!

Lots of work done to it, and it's running beautifully as of now. (Un?)fortunately, the dial's was bubbling, and when cleaned, it revealed a slight patina. I'll get used to it.

FullSizeRender.jpg Got it back from my local watchmaker. Next step: strap. I am considering the matte Staib 18mm mesh band. Any other suggestions?

I also want to look into sanding down and refinishing the crystal. Looks to be glass. Thoughts on that?

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
The mesh could give it a bit of a 1970s style.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The mesh could give it a bit of a 1970s style.
Yes, it would, but having the original band that lies flush with the case would be best. I can't even find the model number for the original band!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update for y'all. Inspired by this thread, I decided to take the dreaded sandpaper to the crystal. A replacement didn't look possible, and if I find one in the future, I'll snag it up in case, but now the watch maintains an aged look without keeping the abused look.

I used 600 grit sandpaper for about 15 minutes, switching to 1000 grit for about 20 minutes, and ending with 2500 grit for 15 minutes and a 5000 grit pad for 5-10 minutes. Pretty nice for less than an hour. I could probably continue on, as it's not perfect, but I'm not looking for perfection. This small step makes a vast improvement. Now, should I invest a few bucks into some diamond paste, or will that even make a difference? If yes, what concentration will I be looking for?

image1.JPG

Before:

image2.JPG

After:

image1 (1).JPG

1 - 14 of 14 Posts