WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18,167 Posts
Nice. These un-brand watches can be real neat.

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Very cool watch, as any vintage chrono is.
Is the chronograph running, or do the hands need re-seating to zero? Both chrono hands slightly out.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Beautiful chronograph, typical for its age (late Forties/very early Fifties). Probably running on a Landeron movement. Have it serviced by a good watchmaker and it will serve you very well for the years to come.

Is that a steel case?

Best,
Tomcat

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yup. It's a stainless steel case. I suspect it's a Landeron too. I approached my watchmaker but he isn't very confident about it. I figure I'll just leave it be for now maybe.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Hi there,

Yup. It's a stainless steel case.
This would make it a sensation, but I'm afraid it is chromed like almost all of this kind. However, you shot a great representative of its kind. And I guess the time will come when people pay kilo$$$ to remove the fake signatures from all the "upbranded" junk. Then you are already finished.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
(...) This would make it a sensation, but I'm afraid it is chromed like almost all of this kind.
... in which case the chrome or nickel plating would be in excellent shape. That's why I asked ;-) More images (especially side elevations and one showing the back) would help to establish the fact.

(...) I guess the time will come when people pay kilo$$$ to remove the fake signatures from all the "upbranded" junk. Then you are already finished.
On which would you base this hope? Even this forum reaches not more than say 5% of all potential buyers of 'upbranded' junk to whom you can sell even a "Rolex-Chronographe Suisse". As long as there are enough such gullibles out there, genuine 'lesser brand' watches remain an endangered species.

@ carddard: what exactly is your watchmaker not very confident about? Spares? Did he open it yet?

Best
Tomcat

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As long as there are enough such gullibles out there, genuine 'lesser brand' watches remain an endangered species.
I couldn't agree more.

@Tomcat - Spare parts is one thing, I don't think he is comfortable with fixing chronographs. My belief is he isn't experienced enough.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
(...) Spare parts is one thing, (...)
Trust me - if your watch is running a Landeron movement, spare parts are no issue. For one, there's plenty of "NOS" - practically every item (except maybe some special parts for the rarer items like split-second chronograps or 'Index Mobile' or for the calendar mechanism on the L/187) is available on ebay - and second, there are enough scrap movements left over when whatever little gold clad was thrown into the smelter. Whatever someone tells you - the L/48 is one of the best-supplied vintage movements out there.

(...) I don't think he is comfortable with fixing chronographs. My belief is he isn't experienced enough.
Then look up one who is. Period. Your watch shouldn't become the training ground for anyone but yourself.

Best,
Tomcat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts