WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two of these SRP043 Seiko divers watches and I really like them. However since I have two of them I tried to make one a little different from the other. Some time ago I installed some Mercedes hands on one and I kind of liked the looks, but in the end I was put off by the fact that the hands were a little too small/short in proportion to the watch. Not much really but enough to bother me. So I decided to handle that, I could not find any larger/longer Mercedes hands but I then settled for a different solution. The best look is the original one, and so I decided to try some similar but different hands. I got some original Seiko hour and minute hands from the "Fifty Five Fathoms" model and a seconds hand from a Seiko Alpinist.

The hands are similar in shape but they are chromed so they give a little different feel to the watch, the red seconds hand also contribute to that but since these are small changes, they only give a little different look keeping the original overall pilot feel. At least this is what I think.

Why bother with this, one may asks. Well, I really like this model and I think it is one of the best made Seiko watches actually, size, comfort, looks, proportions, etc. are ideal for me and I surely would not mind having more. But since the stem/crown position is slightly different then that on a usual Seiko divers like the SKX007 or Monster for example, any other dial won't fit unless one removes the feet. Then I also believe that because the movement is offset compared to the others, that the date window also might not align properly. I think this might be why one does not see many of these being modded with other aftermarket dials etc. As for me, when I can I prefer to use original Seiko parts like in this case and achieve a uniformity that is vital. See lume shots for example. And yes, the other SRP043 watch I have is completely stock.

Anyway, i just wanted to share some thoughts and photos, I hope you enjoy.

·
Registered
357 Posts
very nice...looks like it could have come from Seiko that way...I did it!!!

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Nicely Done .!
and it is a Great looking SEIKO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts