WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I'm starting to become more invested in watches and I am looking to purchase a swiss automatic. The one that has caught my eye in particular is the Le Locle Chronometre.

However, I am debating whether or not to go to an AD. (sorry, I realize this question has probably been asked many times) I would be able to save almost $500 from the listed retail price if I buy from Jomashop. I am usually very careful with anything expensive or valuable that I have and it seems to me that the Jomashop warranty would cover any defects that might occur with the timekeeping itself/stuff that is most likely not my fault (as I understand it). So from that point of view, it seems to me that saving the $500 could be worth it. Additionally, after the 2 year warranty is done, would I be able to take it to most watch repair places to get it serviced or fixed? (Since Tissot wouldn't take it?)

Finally, I'm also debating between the silver dial and braclet and the black dial and strap. I personally really like the rose gold on the black but I've also seen some people say that the black version may not be suitable for non-formal occasions:

sLZwLvC.png tMrBbp4.png

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
The cost to service ETA is around $200. Your savings are well more than the cost of a service. I would go grey...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have purchased five Tissots from Jomashop over the years. No regrets there.

Personally I think the rose gold on black looks better. I really like the Tissot leather straps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see, I guess the grey market thing is a done deal for me then.

Although, I really like the one with the bracelet as well because it would have a nice weight to it. Kinda of a silly reason I guess though :p

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Not silly at all, many a watch has been purchased for a more seemingly inconsequential feature. The gold is not sold with a bracelet and aftermarket rose gold bracelets are very hard if not nearly impossible to find. Since bracelets are very expensive if purchased AFTER the watch is bought, but quite reasonable when purchased with the watch and straps are pretty much always inexpensive (comparatively) the economically wisest move is to buy the SS model with bracelet and buy a strap and a tool to allow you to change it yourseld. For not much more than the price of the watch you now have two different looks.

·
Premium Member
71,229 Posts
For a saving like that I would go grey. You could ask the AD if he will get close to it. I have to admit that I'm a fan of manufacturer's warranties and like to give AD a chance to compete.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Not silly at all, many a watch has been purchased for a more seemingly inconsequential feature. The gold is not sold with a bracelet and aftermarket rose gold bracelets are very hard if not nearly impossible to find. Since bracelets are very expensive if purchased AFTER the watch is bought, but quite reasonable when purchased with the watch and straps are pretty much always inexpensive (comparatively) the economically wisest move is to buy the SS model with bracelet and buy a strap and a tool to allow you to change it yourseld. For not much more than the price of the watch you now have two different looks.
Yes, if you like the look of the SS, you should pick that up and add the strap later. Only get the rose gold if you have to have the rose gold case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see, thanks for the insight guys. I actually really do love the rose gold casing but like you said, I can't even find any rose gold bracelets sadly. Are they just mostly unpopular or something?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, it's probably a long-shot, but what if I purchased a (fairly) cheap rose gold watch and just took the bracelet off that? Would it be possible to find one that would fit?

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Sorry, that is a really long shot.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I purchased my two tissots from joma, and no regrets to... i think if you save a two + service cost is a good deal. About your options, i realy like the rose gold in leather strap, is a nice contrast (all rose gold, case a bracelet is to much for me) and just Jeff113 says, the leather straps from Tissot are very good, im happy with mine.

20160613_110735.jpg

Reactions: sarangooL

·
Registered
111 Posts
I understand your frustration with rose gold bracelets. Rose gold has always been preferable to me over yellow gold, but it seems more elusive, regardless of price point. Rose gold is tough to find when looking at affordable watches and is typically quite a bit more expensive than yellow gold when looking at luxury watches. Maybe one day I will be able to pick up a rose gold watch on bracelet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts