WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my watch checked for its water resistance. I got a receipt from the Leak checker, but no one at the store can explain to me what it means. How much water resist my watch has etc. Therefore I’m reaching out to the community to see if anyone can explain what this reading means.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
To me the numbers are weird? They only thing I can make out from the figures are that the watch was tested to a Vacuum of -0.2 Bar which as a Real World measurement means nothing IMHO.

We test watches at the Dive Club I belong to at up to 20Bar, which means we put the watch into a pressure chamber, use a dive bottle to pressurise it to 22Bar so 10% over limit? We use a dive bottle to slowly and smoothly increase the pressure with no shocks created by a pump. We then release the pressure on the chamber and lower the watch into a water bath, only and inch or so, and see if we get any bubbles, which means the air has leaked into the watch.

20/22 bar is for a full blown dive watch, 100m watches we just pressurise to 10bar as there is no need to go 10% over for most of those type of watches. 30m watches are tested to 3Bar and 50m to 5Bar.
What the idea is about using a vacuum to test is a bit beyond my knowledge :)

Best regards,
Jim

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Quick Update!
Waterproof Watch Testing Machine Vacuum Leak Detector Greiner Leak Checker Prime - HW66000

Hope this helps?
Jim

·
Registered
Check out: 📦The Timex Social Club📬
1,211 Posts
What I don’t understand is why is micrometers used as a measurement for decompression and recompression? Meter is a measure of distance...not pressure. Micro is 1X10^-6, or 0.000001m. Those measurements are 0.0000031m and -0.0000002m, that’s literally microscopic..is it measuring deflection of a pressure plate? But how does that correlate to the watches water tightness?

how much did this test run you? It’s obviously a non destructive test, and I’d be interested to see how my Loreo fairs against its stated 200m rating. (I’d be happy if it made it 100m)

edit: I looked at the 13 page user manual...which is seriously weak for a multi thousand euro piece of equipment, but does it measure the deformation of the crystal? The sensor is on the upper portion of the head, and they indicate two different types of supports for the watch depending on the watches size and crystal type. I don’t know how this would actually be checking for water tightness. I am very intrigued though.

subscribed.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Non-destructive? In thinking about the test method, putting a dive watch in a vacuum is risky, the seals are intended to keep water out. Put the watch in a vacuum and you're pushing the seals out not compressing them. A simple snap-back case, no issue. Pull enough vacuum and 'pop' there's your crystal, free from the case.

·
Registered
Check out: 📦The Timex Social Club📬
1,211 Posts
Let me rephrase. If a failure occurs, it won't destroy the watch due to water ingress.

A crystal popping out is repairable, water being pushed into the case, and throughout the movement is irreparable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts