WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone attempted to make his own leather strap? care to share some tips? i understand there was a short thread someone posted a while ago which got me interested to make my own strap.

what tools do i need to get started?

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
My Thoughts.......

Has anyone attempted to make his own leather strap? care to share some tips? i understand there was a short thread someone posted a while ago which got me interested to make my own strap.

I've thought of this many times. Most know I'm a strap kinda guy.
I really like how a strap wears, its comfortable and cool. I got a big wrist and a strap just fits me better. It also gives you the opportunity to
buy some cool deployants and buckles. On a big watch, its the only way to go as the bracelet becomes awkward on a large watch.

In my opinion, this would be the way to start. Right from the source.
You gotta start with the basic raw materials.
But, first of all, you gotta find some idiot to get them for you.
I think I found one.........................DMB.

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
In my business...............................

We call that a ground level vendor. David

·
Registered
8,485 Posts

It's very involved with specialized tools. NOT that easy. John Wilson.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know its not gonna be easy-peasy, but at least starting a thread like this hopefully someone will come out and get us started and share. Watch-tinkering IMHO is too risky and i will not go into that.

Strap changing, bracelet resizing, polishing, all of us can do. but beyond that, before getting into the watch tinkering, why not play abit on the leather?

Ive seen some pretty good homemade straps (think Delurian). they're great stuff and i was thinking i could try my hands on it. might not cost the earth and worth a try.

But i need to get some started. some advice, maybe some resources, links and feedback.

will appreciate some inputs. cheers all. :-!

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
Re: My Thoughts.......

I've thought of this many times. Most know I'm a strap kinda guy.
I really like how a strap wears, its comfortable and cool. I got a big wrist and a strap just fits me better. It also gives you the opportunity to
buy some cool deployants and buckles. On a big watch, its the only way to go as the bracelet becomes awkward on a large watch.

In my opinion, this would be the way to start. Right from the source.
You gotta start with the basic raw materials.
But, first of all, you gotta find some idiot to get them for you.
I think I found one.........................DMB.
Hey Frog, Jim's right on the money. There is nothing quite as satisfying as harvesting your own strap. The key is to select only the finest materials. In this case I chose Louisiana Alligator. Most important though is to not get eaten. As far as tools go, I used a .40 Glock to "punch the holes". It worked fine. :-! - David

·
Banned
2,913 Posts
Can you use a .40 Glock............................

to punch holes in kevlar? Oh Yeah, got any pics? David

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
(laughing at myself) - i was too lazy to buy a proper punch and used a handdrill to make a hole into my strap. it frayed a bit, but did the job nicely as i wanted to. the trick is to have patience when doing such things.

what exotic leathers do you guys use?
alligator, ostrich, shark, stingray, buffalo, shell cordovan (horse), and what else?

I quite like shell cordovan. im gonna get a hornback alligator soon. on order with a dealer at the moment. pricey! :-x

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
(laughing at myself) - i was too lazy to buy a proper punch and used a handdrill to make a hole into my strap. it frayed a bit, but did the job nicely as i wanted to. the trick is to have patience when doing such things.

what exotic leathers do you guys use?
alligator, ostrich, shark, stingray, buffalo, shell cordovan (horse), and what else?

I quite like shell cordovan. im gonna get a hornback alligator soon. on order with a dealer at the moment. pricey! :-x
My first alligator and croco straps were real alligator and crocodile. After they were ruined in less than 6 months from sweat due to the 8 months of summer we have in south Louisiana, I started buying the leather with the gator pattern on it. Usually a fraction of the price and I couldn't tell the difference unless I got real close. I'd still buy a real one for a dress watch, but definitely not for a daily wearer. - David

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys mentioned that croc or alligator straps arent recommended as daily beaters (daily wear). is it because of the sweat or because of the constant strapping on and twisting the leather?

Im intending to splurge on an expensive leather, but dont want it to be ruined that quickly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts