·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, does anybody own a led watch?

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
David, you might want to ask this question in our Digitals and ABC forum. There are several folks there who own these and other cool digital watches.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Tokyo Flash "S-Mode Oberon" LED watch. My girlfriend got it for my birthday earlier this year...

...It's a little small (36~38mm) but it is fairly solid and has a nice 20mm solid stainless bracelet. It takes a little getting used to reading it, but it's not that hard once you know how!

(Time-- 5:14pm)

·
Registered
25,151 Posts

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
My son owns two Tokyo Flash LED watches. How he sees the time on them - not a clue!
I would LOVE to own an Omega early 70ies LED watch!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
David, you might want to ask this question in our Digitals and ABC forum. There are several folks there who own these and other cool digital watches.
You're right! I'll post the question there too.
Thanks.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a drawer full of vintage LED's, such as these. Any particular reason for asking?
Just curiosity, I've never seen one of these watches live so I just wanted to know your impressions.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Just curiosity, I've never seen one of these watches live so I just wanted to know your impressions.
I've collected and repaired/restored vintage LED's pretty much since they first hit the market in the early 70's....so maybe I'm a little biased. ;-)

Vintage LED's certainly have their weak points: high power consumption (depending, of course, on how many times one pressed the buttons, and most of us pressed them a LOT). The red LED display washed out easily in bright light making in difficult to see the time. One needed two hands to tell the time until the development of the "flick of the wrist" or "auto-command" feature (which could be problematic in itself). Many suffered from reliability problems due to the delicate electronics and poor manufacturing, especially in the less expensive watches which flooded the market in the mid 70's.

Yet...they were the first mass-market solid-state watches and thus earned a place in horological history. There also were quartz analog and early quartz LCD watches from makers like Seiko and Optel on the market, but the LED was the one that captivated the public with it's dramatic styling and flashing red digits. They reminded one of lasers and computers and space and all sorts of cutting edge things.

Personally, I still love these things about my LED watches. Treated with care, reliability isn't much of a problem. I don't mind pressing a button to see the time, in fact I rather like it. I don't care if I have to replace the power cells twice a year. I love the dramatic styling (of most of them...some were jaw-droppingly tacky and weird). I love wearing a piece of history on my wrist. In short, I don't find any of the classic problems with original LED watches to be problems for me. And most of all, there is that incredible, ruby-laser red, flashing LED display. I was hooked way back then, and I'm still hooked.

If you are thinking about buying a vintage LED, do be very careful. Finding one in good reliable condition is increasingly rare. Do your homework and hang out online where the knowledgeable LED collectors hang. Feel free to PM me if you'd like any more info.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've collected and repaired/restored vintage LED's pretty much since they first hit the market in the early 70's....so maybe I'm a little biased. ;-)

Vintage LED's certainly have their weak points: high power consumption (depending, of course, on how many times one pressed the buttons, and most of us pressed them a LOT). The red LED display washed out easily in bright light making in difficult to see the time. One needed two hands to tell the time until the development of the "flick of the wrist" or "auto-command" feature (which could be problematic in itself). Many suffered from reliability problems due to the delicate electronics and poor manufacturing, especially in the less expensive watches which flooded the market in the mid 70's.

Yet...they were the first mass-market solid-state watches and thus earned a place in horological history. There also were quartz analog and early quartz LCD watches from makers like Seiko and Optel on the market, but the LED was the one that captivated the public with it's dramatic styling and flashing red digits. They reminded one of lasers and computers and space and all sorts of cutting edge things.

Personally, I still love these things about my LED watches. Treated with care, reliability isn't much of a problem. I don't mind pressing a button to see the time, in fact I rather like it. I don't care if I have to replace the power cells twice a year. I love the dramatic styling (of most of them...some were jaw-droppingly tacky and weird). I love wearing a piece of history on my wrist. In short, I don't find any of the classic problems with original LED watches to be problems for me. And most of all, there is that incredible, ruby-laser red, flashing LED display. I was hooked way back then, and I'm still hooked.

If you are thinking about buying a vintage LED, do be very careful. Finding one in good reliable condition is increasingly rare. Do your homework and hang out online where the knowledgeable LED collectors hang. Feel free to PM me if you'd like any more info.
Thanks for all these precious information. |>|>

·
Registered
25,151 Posts

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,209 Posts
Hi, does anybody own a led watch?
Vintage DataTime

can't figure out how to do a lit up wrist shot. Not enough hands o|

It's a great old watch and I wear it when going out of an evening. Utterly useless in the Australian sunlight though.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
I sure am glad there is a few people keeping these LED's alive.It does remind me of my childhood.Boy were these watches expensive at first come out.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Vintage DataTime
Very cool!! I've seen several led watches in the internet and most of them are gold coloured, is there any reason? Was it a fashion colour during the 70's?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Very cool!! I've seen several led watches in the internet and most of them are gold coloured, is there any reason? Was it a fashion colour during the 70's?

I've got an old Bulova, and it's gold too. Most that I've seen on ebay seem to be as well, from that era.

I like a lot of the LED watches on Tokyoflash myself. Some are pretty cool, though the equations required to figure out the time may be a bit much for me.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2 snapshots from the italian tv series Romanzo criminale, first episode:

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Very cool. That's a Pulsar Time Computer P4 "Classic". On my wish list!

·
Registered
2,879 Posts

Here's my favorite.

One note of caution. I've noticed that some newer "LED" watches are actually LCD watches with a red back light. The thick LCD like numbers usually betray their true identities.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts