WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are LED's now replacing EL back light??

The new version of the GW-M5610 has a white LED back light...

And all the new modern F91W replacements also have orange LEDs ....

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another GW-M5610U review... (shows new backlight) ... the guy also said they are moving from EL to LED now .....

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
You answered your own question. (y)

·
Registered
505 Posts
There is a certainly trend towards using LED instead of EL. In the same way that we can see the trend towards using BT for time sync rather than MB6.

That does not mean EL will disappear, it just means that Casio seems to favor LED going forward.

I doubt there will be many new models with EL.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
There is a certainly trend towards using LED instead of EL. In the same way that we can see the trend towards using BT for time sync rather than MB6.

That does not mean EL will disappear, it just means that Casio seems to favor LED going forward.

I doubt there will be many new models with EL.
I'm fine with the LEDs but the bluetooth crap can go straight to hell.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"The operating life of an Electroluminescent (EL) panels depends very much on the initial brightness and it's applications, for example; 1) When used as an Aircraft Emergency Light Strip, the initial light output is about 30cd/msq. The half-life can be more than 10,000hrs."

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"How long does electroluminescent last?

Although EL wire has great staying power, its color will eventually fade from sun exposure. Keeping your EL wire outdoors in direct sunlight will cut the life span to one to two years. When kept indoors or with limited outdoor exposure, your EL wire's color will last as long as three years."

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Electroluminescent panels are a capacitor where the dielectric between the outside plates is a phosphor that gives off photons when the capacitor is charged. By making one of the contacts transparent, the large area exposed emits light."

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did I do the math right? ...

3000 hours = 1.08e+7 seconds ... 1.08e+7 / 3 = 3600000 days = 9863 years

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Speedposting?

Reactions: Dxnnis
1 - 15 of 15 Posts