WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys I am needing a new watch I just lost mine at the beach last week( diff story for a diff day lol). Im a police officer so I use it all the time and I had a G Shock G110-1A that I lost I liked the watch for the most part. But the thing I did not like was having to hit a button for it to light up and the hands and stuff not just glowing. I really had to twist my arm just right to make out the time in the dark on this watch and also about 2 months ago i woke up and the hands were 14 minutes slower than than the digital time and I couldnt fix it. But I probably want to get a none digital display and just have the hands or a watch that the hands and stuff also glow. I have always like the Luminox watches but I also saw the Gshock aviation watches like the GA1000-1a it has the neon hands and number and a compass. So its a toss up between the gshock ga1000 and a luminox 3051 b.o what do you guys think? There about the same price whats the best watch.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I'd pick the G-Shock, since it has more than just timekeeping functions. Either one is likely to survive anything that will happen in the course of your work.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Welcome, demo! G-Shock is a hardy contender on this forum. But the Luminox is good, too. It's just a question of what functions you want.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Casio makes some Protrek Pathfinder watches with an autolight that comes on when you turn your wrist and lift in the manner you would when looking at your watch. You might want to look into it. Perhaps some of the G shocks have this feature. The Pathfinders are probably plenty tough enough, though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:O I like the protek prg550-1a1! I have likes the Luminox for along time but when I look at the Luminox and G shock you get so much more function from the G shock. It will probably be one of the G shocks one with the neon illuminated hands and numbers.

·
Registered
20,963 Posts
Marathon TSAR/GSAR should be a third contender.
I know a fellow who is a beat cop or some such, and a few years ago he went from a rotation of cheapies that got destroyed to a TSAR. He wears his on a Zulu. He's very happy with it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The watch you want is "Ball".
Ball has the most bright laminating face in the watch industry.
Forgot the name of it but they have the tiny rods filled with a gas that is constantly lighting like little fluorescent light, at night you can see it from across the room, you don't need to get near a light source to "charge" the face because this gas is constantly lighting even in day light even though you don't see it when the light is on of course.
I had a Ball and waking up in the middle of the night to check the time was always a fun thing.
Do a little research into this company and you will see what I am talking about.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Take a look at Traser and Marathon watches. Tritium is hard to beat in low light conditions. Second hand with tritium tube is great for SFSTs.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
396 Posts
Take a look at Traser and Marathon watches. Tritium is hard to beat in low light conditions. Second hand with tritium tube is great for SFSTs.
Ah yes, that's it Tritium tubes, Ball watches (most of them) have Tritium Tubes and they are gorgeous!!!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
With the vest and all the stuff you're already carrying on your duty belt, I'd go with something light... Like another G-Shock.

And thanks for doing what you do.

Sent from Russia.... with love.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Having worn a GShock, Luminox, Traser, High Gear, and undoubtably others over the years on duty, and having owned a Ball for off duty wear, I wholeheartedly recommend Marathon watches. They are tough as hell, but look more presentable than a GShock (or a black plastic Luminox, IMHO). Order directly from Marathon with your credentials for the best price. I've worn a TSAR, and now a GSAR on duty and they're both great watches. I nearly flipped the GSAR for something with a day/date display, but I'm glad I didn't.

My Luminox and Traser watches held up fine, but felt cheap for the money (plastic case and bezel). The mineral crystals also got badly scratched, and the one I had with blue tritium was too dim for my liking. My GShocks also held up fine, for the most part, but just looked a little juvenile to me when worn in uniform.

If you pick a tritium watch, stick to green tritium. Try to hold out for something with a sapphire crystal. Another budget friendly option, despite not having tritium or sapphire, would be a Seiko Monster. If I decide that I must have a day/date (4 on/4 off schedule with varying start times depending on day...) I'll keep the GSAR and add a Monster to my collection.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts