WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping some experts can chime in here but I'm looking at this watch but despite everything looking authentically vintage, the case back looks too clean/fresh/modern for a company that went extinct in the 60s.
I can't post links but here's the full album:
imgur.com/a/NGqNc

I also found another example that looks slightly different with an appropriate looking case back. This one has been assembled/serviced and re lumed but is that a reasonable price for it?
lsyf.com/free-french-forces-leonidas-wrist-watch/

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
499? Is that in USD? That seller has got to be kidding. That whole listing is full of baloney. Please do not pay that much for a franken-watch that probably has no real military provenance at all.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
Dan is right. The listing for that Free French watch is indeed full of crap.

Basically, it's a redial, with the Free French symbol having been added by that redialer (although the term "counterfeiter" would be more appropriate here), who can't even spell "de Gaulle" (De Gaul in his listing).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That wasn't worded clearly but I'm looking at a separate watch, not the one for $499. I was just referencing that listing as its the only other similar styled Leonidas I could find.

The pictures/album are of the one I'm looking at which is $130 and I'm still hesitant.

Anyone have useful info? Even an educated guess about that case back wrt Leonidas and their mid 60s merge with Tag Heuer?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Im still a novice, but i am always warry when the seller doesnt show the movement, when they have other watches listed with photos of movements.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The watch pictured looks much older than mid '60s. I don't think there is much of a connection between Heuer and this piece.
I'm thinking $130 doesn't buy much of any Heuer these days.

·
Registered
768 Posts
All chrome gone, the dried out plexiglass, I would think hard if asking price was $30. It is a genric movement in a bad condition, very small case, that's what it is.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
All chrome gone, the dried out plexiglass, I would think hard if asking price was $30. It is a genric movement in a bad condition, very small case, that's what it is.
...and if I'd see a watch like that at a flea market, I'd still try to haggle over that price down to $20 or thereabouts:-d

1 - 9 of 9 Posts