WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just pick this up at the Timex factory outlet for $29.00 no tax.. It's a really nice time piece for such a cheap price can't
understand how they can make money selling watches this cheap. I know its not an Omega, Rolex or Tag but it has to cost
some money to make. For only $29.00 what gives. Would love to hear Thoughts on what makes it so cheap... Thanks

Be Gentle on me iam new to this.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306798775.614293.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306798801.966118.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306798837.798047.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306798857.832061.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306798882.778477.jpg

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
3 words:

1)Made

2)In

3)China

Im sure theyre still making some money off the watch though. Along with the low manufacturing costs, if its at the outlet its likely an old model or something, so theyre selling them at minimal profit just to move them.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lemrick PA, The Philadelphia Premium outlets The Timex factory store.. I love the watch had it 2:32 so far and Iam impressed by the built and quality for only $29 crazy can't beleive my eyes. LOL

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3 words:

1)Made

2)In

3)China

Im sure theyre still making some money off the watch though. Along with the low manufacturing costs, if its at the outlet its likely an old model or something, so theyre selling them at minimal profit just to move them.
Funny! but true

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
Outlet prices can be crazy, I bought two Zodiacs at the Fossil outlet store in the Poconos a few years back, 50 bucks apiece. If I had more money on me I know I would have gotten more as list prices on Zodiacs are multiple hundreds of dollars. Unfortunately the Fossil outlet here never seems to have Zodiac anymore and the regular prices are more than I like to pay. Great watches, but I'm cheap! :-d

I have to stop by the Time Factory outlet again, it's in the same outlet complex as the Fossil store, and they have a Movado store too. Got a great price on an ESQ there once too.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cant beleive how cheap the outlet store was I would of pick myself up a Zodiac as well at that price.. Hope to go back and pick up some more soon.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
For the price you paid though you can't go wrong. Nice looking watch and Timex watches are pretty well built. I have an old Timex chrono that I use as one of my beaters...I think that watch is going to last forever.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There is an interesting article in Wikipedia about the Timex Corp. Timex makes money in volume sales. They are able to place their respective timepieces in almost any store , increasing visibility and they currently own several other brands (Nautica for example). Yet. they are able to maintain quality control by aggressively reducing manufacturing processes as quoted by Wikipedia," Product quality and fashionable design became essential to success in the mass market. Although Timex had a solid reputation for durable products, increased efforts were put behind quality improvement. Longer battery life, more durable gold plating, greater accuracy and more water resistant styles were some of the many improvements that were implemented. New quartz analog movements were created using fewer components, reducing overall production time and costs". So in short, Timex is able to continue making quality durable watches at a great price point. You will have many years of good service with that watch. Enjoy.

·
Registered
20,576 Posts
The quartz movement is cheap, if you buy them in a container the unit price is something like $5-7.

The whole cost to make that watch shouldn't be higher than $20.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Love the Limerick outlets! Will be heading back to PA in August so I'm definitely headed there for some shopping.

Great looking watch. Can't beat it for the price ^^

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think the watch could be made even cheaper than the $20 stated. The $5-7 is if one of us were to buy in a quantity price. In china things are made in such mass quantities that I would bet my collection that that watch was probably made at around $5 a unit. Us as americans sometimes cant believe what is able to be made at such a low price. I think if any of us could take a peek into timex's financial records of what things cost them it would make you sick even paying $29. This isnt always the case though. Most times even with the watch you purchased there is a profit being made but other times its marketing.

The market for watches is odd. Any brand that manufactures in significant quantities isnt always looking to make a killing on each unit they sell. It comes down to quarterly numbers where overall profit margins for everything they manufacture is more important than the profits on each individual unit. Sometimes entry level products are sold as a loss to draw customers in and keep them there. Some call it "planting the seed". If they can offer a good product at a great price it is likely to insure a return customer and big corporations know that the real money is in repeat business. Companies know that if they can gain customer confidence in the brand they are more likely to come back and buy a higher dollar unit next time. Just look how excited you are with your new Timex. This is exactly why the company does this. They have gained your interest and made you feel very satisfied. In essence you didnt buy the timex watch but rather they bought your confidence and are banking on you buying from them again. I cant say for certain that this is what happened but its surely one of the two scenarios I mentioned.

Enjoy your new watch. At that price its a no brainer. But I do feel if you stick with watch collecting you will find your tastes and standards rise. This is a wallet consuming beast of a hobby. Just like any collecting hobby.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think the watch could be made even cheaper than the $20 stated. The $5-7 is if one of us were to buy in a quantity price. In china things are made in such mass quantities that I would bet my collection that that watch was probably made at around $5 a unit. Us as americans sometimes cant believe what is able to be made at such a low price. I think if any of us could take a peek into timex's financial records of what things cost them it would make you sick even paying $29. This isnt always the case though. Most times even with the watch you purchased there is a profit being made but other times its marketing.

The market for watches is odd. Any brand that manufactures in significant quantities isnt always looking to make a killing on each unit they sell. It comes down to quarterly numbers where overall profit margins for everything they manufacture is more important than the profits on each individual unit. Sometimes entry level products are sold as a loss to draw customers in and keep them there. Some call it "planting the seed". If they can offer a good product at a great price it is likely to insure a return customer and big corporations know that the real money is in repeat business. Companies know that if they can gain customer confidence in the brand they are more likely to come back and buy a higher dollar unit next time. Just look how excited you are with your new Timex. This is exactly why the company does this. They have gained your interest and made you feel very satisfied. In essence you didnt buy the timex watch but rather they bought your confidence and are banking on you buying from them again. I cant say for certain that this is what happened but its surely one of the two scenarios I mentioned.

Enjoy your new watch. At that price its a no brainer. But I do feel if you stick with watch collecting you will find your tastes and standards rise. This is a wallet consuming beast of a hobby. Just like any collecting hobby.
I agree, I own a Formula 1 Tag which i love, saving up for a Omega Diver next. in the meantime i need to feed the hunger cheap and fast. LoL. thanks for so much info and the time you took to write it. cheers friend

1 - 20 of 39 Posts