WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The thought occurred to me, as I was wearing one of my favorite watches, that, as much as I love it, there are a few small details that would have just made it perfect. I imagine most of that have a watch like that. We love it and wear it all the time but it would be perfect if only they had done "x". So what what in your collection, that you like and wear, would be perfect to you if there were just a few small changes?

Here's the watch that got me thinking.

Uhuru Impi

20150904_145655.jpg

Honestly it's nearly perfect to me. I wear it all the time and I don't think I'll ever flip it. What would I change then?

There are 3 aspects that I would improve upon. First the choice of a Miyota 8215 is not my favorite choice. It's a perfectly good movement but I would have preferred a Miyota 9015 in this one. Then there's the lume which, to be honest, is almost non-existent. Only the hands are lumed and it fades in moments no matter how charged. I would have used higher quality lume and also lume the 3,6,9,12 indices. The last thing is the inner bezel crown at 9 isn't screw down. Not a big issue for most and I know the reason is the factory wasn't confident in it but, as a lefty, I have to keep resetting since it turns from my wrist.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Good thread idea (unless it makes me hate all my watches because they all have something I would change).

Based on the watch I'm wearing - Seiko SARG015 - I would i) change the white hands to silver (the white hands look a bit cheap to me on an otherwise very nice watch); ii) reduce the diameter by a mm or 2 (42mm is on the large side for this style for me); and iii) make the tip of the second hand a true red rather than orange (although it's a darker colour than it appears in this pic and many others).

There are other things I'd change if I was looking for perfection, but those 3 changes would take this from an 8/10 to a 9/10.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
erafasfsa.jpg
This Bulova:
Brown Date window
Remove lume from hands
The rose gold here is not as pink as most, so I don't mind it, but I think yellow gold would make this perfect.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I love my SARB035 but find that the gap between the end links and the rest of the bracelet bothers me increasingly. Similarly, I really wish it were more accurate. I think I lose 20-30 seconds per day.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
asbvbafav.jpg
Date window at 6. I would say that about pretty much every watch. It would make this one more symmetrical as it would for most other watches. However, I do like some asymmetry/quirkiness now and then.
Also, regular lugs would be nice as I like to add straps. Though I'm not sure the chrome lends itself to anything other than black or red - not so versatile as silver.

Reactions: DPflaumer

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Two watches, one change. Take both of these bad boys from 42mm to 38mm and I'd be in love forever.

That said, the Alpina is too beautiful to be in jeopardy either way (seriously, I've never seen a blue dial that even comes close). The Citizen... I'm not sure. I want to love it. I just don't know if it's there...

sKlfKut.jpg
UDMsttn.jpg

·
Registered
354 Posts
Deep Blue-Orange Bezel.JPG
The hands, more specifically, the hour hand. I don't understand why you would make the minute hand silver but the hour hand black when it is that small. On the black dial the hour hand is hard to see.
But I love the weight, the finish, the crowns and the orange second hand.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Okay, I'll bite.

Vostok Amphibia. My favorite case style (470) and my favorite dial.

There's some low-hanging fruit when it comes to Vostoks, but I wouldn't go for most of it. Case size stays the same, and so does the 18mm strap. Plenty of bigger divers out there, which makes the smaller size distinctive. Same with big domed acrylic crystal; no sapphire nonsense here to dilute the vintage feel. Keeping the case means the stem diameter stays the same, which means the wobbly crown is still in. That case is a glorious piece of overengineering and I wouldn't touch it.

I'd start the changes with the bezel. The big flaw with the current bezel is that it's plated brass and has crude engraving. The big flaw with replacement bezels is that they need too much height to clear the crown tube and thus lose the nice sloping line from the crystal dome to the bezel edge. So keep the general form, but make it in stainless with finer engraving. Keep the lume pip at 12, but use something bright and modern. If you can make it uni-directional in the current form, do so. Bi-directional if not.

The next change is the dial. First off, make sure it earns that "antimagnetic" label. The technology behind it is pretty standard; the movement cover and the dial form a sort of antimagnetic cage around the movement, at least in theory. Put the current system through it's paces. If it works, keep it. If it doesn't work, make changes so that it does. After that, I would seriously consider fully luming the markers and numerals in the black ring on the dial. Keep the style, but tighten the application up so it doesn't have those sloppy areas. And while I'm at it, lume the 12 in red-orange. The dial SHOULD have a red 12, but the paint they used had absolutely no staying power so almost all of them have faded, exposing the green underneath.

Scale up the hands slightly. The tip of the hour hand should hit the edge of the black ring. The tip of the minute and seconds hands should hit the outer ring of minute markers. Since we've lumed the dial, clear up the now unneeded lume pips on the outer edge.

And while we're at it, a bracelet. Polished, for this version of the case, brushed for the version with the thick radial brushing on the top. Solid end links, double-locking clasp with the Vostok "B" logo on it.

It sounds like I have a ton of problems with this watch. I don't. I love it. But the title says "perfect," so that's what I went for.

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It sounds like I have a ton of problems with this watch. I don't. I love it. But the title says "perfect," so that's what I went for.
Exactly why I thought this would be fun. We can take a detailed look at a piece we already love and think about what if.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I'd replace the yellow second hand on my Damasko DA36 with a delicate white one. Something similar to the ones on the Speedbirds.
In my opinion, that would get rid of the only interesting thing about the DA36's design. It needs that splash of colour - although I'd prefer blue or red myself.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Well yes, quick set date is something I would change on the Vostoks. I'd also replace the Amphibian arrow hour hands with the Komandirski pencil hands.

Acionna: use the 6 o'clock variation of the 9015 & eat the 6 instead of the 3.

·
Registered
Oris Aquis Date Titanium
5,399 Posts
I don't have it anymore but if this had a screwdown crown and the crown was bigger, with maybe some Hydro Conquest style crown guards, it would be my favourite and I would still have it.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Two watches, one change. Take both of these bad boys from 42mm to 38mm and I'd be in love forever.

That said, the Alpina is too beautiful to be in jeopardy either way (seriously, I've never seen a blue dial that even comes close). The Citizen... I'm not sure. I want to love it. I just don't know if it's there...

View attachment 6745138
View attachment 6745154
The date windows on both watches bother me. The Alpina (yes, a beauty) would look so much better without it. The Citizen...I don't like the shape of the window frame.

I've spent a lot of time reading up on that Citizen and staring at pictures, wanting to like it. The specs are incredible, and technically speaking it might be one of the best sub-$1000 watches on the market if not THE best. But it just isn't pretty. It reminds me of some women I've dated whom I knew I should be into because of everything they are, and yet I hesitate because, well, because, I don't know...but then I figure it out. They're just not pretty.

Reactions: ABud21

·
Registered
326 Posts
I would take my W3 Diver and make it 2 mils smaller. Then it would be perfect :p

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
The NonVisoDate? Maybe they could hide it then. It might actually make sense to have that awful font on it then as if it were italics to differentiate the two :p

If the Visodate lost the day window I'd be laughing,

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
adsfsafs.jpg
Everyone's new favorite watch to hate? I feel like the haters would change everything about it. I love the green, and really dig the gold on it as well. I actually like the compass - different feature and cool old technology. But, I think it would be awesome with no date and no compass, just lumed 5 sec dots and white tick marks. A sunburst blue version would look awfully cool coupled with the gold as well.

Reactions: Omegafanboy
1 - 20 of 29 Posts