WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'll admit this is a pretty lame thread I'm starting, because I won't have the chance to post any pix until late tonight or tomorrow...

I was at Joseph Edwards in NYC, and saw some of the new Seiko Solar chronos, and the "black ion" plated SSC079 really caught my eye. Even though it's stainless steel, it's light enough that it almost feels like titanium. When I get home from my trip tonight, I'll put it up against my titanium Oceanus, and realize that I've been silly. ;-)

I haven't seen much about this new line beyond a few random eBay listings. But my (much more) expensive Swiss-movement watches are sitting in my carry-on luggage while I wear this Seiko!

I'm off to Vegas this weekend, so I'll be hitting the Seiko outlet there. I wonder if they'll have any deals on Spring Drives... (last time, they had a few models in stock, but AZ Fine Time had MUCH better prices)

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Congratulations on the Seiko solar purchase, looks great on you! I am currently into solar watches and have quite a few in my collection, Seiko solar, Citizen eco-drive, Casio tough solar. I just love the grab and go versatility of these watches, they always stay charged and keep excellent time. Good luck at Vegas, hope you win some big $ for more Seikos!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am really interested in this watch... but my fear is that black ion coating is gonna rub off in a few days while I bang on my keyboard at work....
how's the black wearing for you?

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
I only have one comment, and that is on the dial.
Seiko has finally produced a chrono dial that has not cut off and obliterated the numbers on the major markers. Sure, there is a small incursion to the 12 and 6 numerals but they are still complete and obvious. I imagine that this is almost seamless when viewed at 'arms length'.

The 9 o'clock 'sub dial which I imagine is a PR meter; is also well done since it hardly deflects attention from the rest of the dial and it is placed in a perfectly symmetrical position!

I sincerely hope that the designers at Seiko keep going on this trend of good looking dials/watches and stop making chopped up displays and mal-placed PR displays :)

Congrats on one of the best looking solar products Seiko has released so far!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am really interested in this watch... but my fear is that black ion coating is gonna rub off in a few days while I bang on my keyboard at work....
how's the black wearing for you?
I"ve worn the watch all week and it looks fine. They have another, similar model (SSC091 I think) that is stainless with yellow markings

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
Wow, really, really nice. Enjoy!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only have one comment, and that is on the dial.
Seiko has finally produced a chrono dial that has not cut off and obliterated the numbers on the major markers. Sure, there is a small incursion to the 12 and 6 numerals but they are still complete and obvious. I imagine that this is almost seamless when viewed at 'arms length'.

The 9 o'clock 'sub dial which I imagine is a PR meter; is also well done since it hardly deflects attention from the rest of the dial and it is placed in a perfectly symmetrical position!

I sincerely hope that the designers at Seiko keep going on this trend of good looking dials/watches and stop making chopped up displays and mal-placed PR displays :)

Congrats on one of the best looking solar products Seiko has released so far!
It's the second hand, not a power reserve. Since these watches can store a charge for months, I don't think a PR meter would really be useful.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Guys - I like the look of the watch a lot. And, I think the price ($250 on-line) is very attractive. What I don't get is the compass markings: N,E,S,W and the 360 scale on a watch that does not have an electronic compass feature in it. Also, the Seiko manual for the SSC079's v172 movement indicates that the rotating bezel is to aid the calculation of elapsed time in minutes - how does a moving ring divided into 360 do such a thing?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts