WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This thread is inspired by Bradjhomes recent comparison between 3 classics and their updated versions (https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/new-=-bad-am-i-just-stuck-my-ways-904047.html).

We are all WIS here, and when it comes to watches, we have a tendency to go OCD. Some watches are real classics. They always come up in "What should I buy?" threads. I'm talking about the Seiko 5 SNK809, the Obris Morgan Branco, Citizen Nighthawk, ...

They're almost perfect.

Almost.

Almost perfect, because there is always this little detail that could have been done differently, and then, and only then, would it be a perfect watch.

So, what would YOU change on a classic to make it perfect?

I'll start with the Seiko 5 SNK809.

540653d1319303422-seiko-5-automatic-snk809-inexpensive-military-style-snk809k2-2.jpg
(Picture borrowed from www.rauken.co.jp)

Here we have an automatic, well under $100, with a very nice military/pilot dial. Proportions are good and the design is well balanced. It's almost perfect, BUT it is small at 37mm diameter.

If it was anywhere between 40-42mm in diameter it would be perfect to me.

Your turn! Pick whatever F71 classic you want and tell us how you'd make it perfect!

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Nice idea for a thread. Regarding that Seiko, I think that's why the SNZG15 is so popular - at 41mm it offers much of what you are hoping for (slightly different design of course.)

My first contribution (I could think of several): Citizen BJ9130, Europe-only model, absolutely brilliant design in every way EXCEPT THERE'S NO LUME ON THE DIAL! A spot of lume on the hands is great unless you are in darkness and you can't see the top of the watch, not even a pip at 12. What were they thinking? Light this up like Tokyo and you have a winning watch.

CitiBJKraft1.jpg

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't know if it's a classic, but if you put bigger hands of a different style on the Citizen BM6400 I think it'd be a much better looking watch.

la_1209821_citizen_BM6400-00E.jpg

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Mine are largely aesthetic and cosmetic.

My Vostok Amphibia came with the usual red-black dot bezel. Am not a fan of it. To me, it looks too toy-like, especially with this case and the blue dial.

7570343662_176e1bb534_z.jpg

I think the look drastically improved when I modded it with a Murphy bezel and a Seiko insert. There are enough people who agree with me for Dave to have a viable business from this.

Vostokmurphyblue.jpg

That said, I think the old bezel works with certain Amphibia, like the Zissou.

Another peeve: the Seiko 5 shield. To me, it cheapens the watch, like wearing a big numbered sports jersey over a good suit.

seiko5dial.jpg

And so I got rid of mine by tapping a pin to knock of its footing behind the dial.

8059654931_ccc0d269f0_z.jpg

I think the "shieldless" version is much better. I do agree with you, Nadim, that the SNK809 is on the small side for a non-vintage. I rarely wear it, and it may end up being a donor watch for a mod at some point.

8063939344_dce66107b2_z.jpg

·
Premium Member
40,679 Posts
Good shout on the SNK80[x]. Picked one up earlier in the year but sold it very soon after as it was just too small.

I'd choose one of my favourites. I love this watch but it could be improved.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377068271.783113.jpg
Move the date window to exactly 4.
Make the window round.
Put the date the right way up rather than slanted.

Done

Edit: maybe RJW83 could work his photoshop magic to see what some of these suggested improvements would look like?

Reactions: Hoonnu

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
This thread is inspired by Bradjhomes recent comparison between 3 classics and their updated versions (https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/new-=-bad-am-i-just-stuck-my-ways-904047.html).

We are all WIS here, and when it comes to watches, we have a tendency to go OCD. Some watches are real classics. They always come up in "What should I buy?" threads. I'm talking about the Seiko 5 SNK809, the Obris Morgan Branco, Citizen Nighthawk, ...

They're almost perfect.

Almost.

Almost perfect, because there is always this little detail that could have been done differently, and then, and only then, would it be a perfect watch.

So, what would YOU change on a classic to make it perfect?

I'll start with the Seiko 5 SNK809.

View attachment 1196548
(Picture borrowed from www.rauken.co.jp)

Here we have an automatic, well under $100, with a very nice military/pilot dial. Proportions are good and the design is well balanced. It's almost perfect, BUT it is small at 37mm diameter.

If it was anywhere between 40-42mm in diameter it would be perfect to me.

Your turn! Pick whatever F71 classic you want and tell us how you'd make it perfect!

They have one pretty similar at 42mm
51yl683BjSL.jpg

For me the watch is perfect at 37mm. The only thing it needed was a decent strap.

DSCF3602.JPG

Ah, perfect :)

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Not a classic watch by any stretch of the imagination, but... My Orient Metro. The apperture at 3:00 is absolutely useless. Close it up and I think the look is improved a bit.

Another one of mine is the Citizen Skyhawk. The small LCD screen by the 9:00 position shows nothing but the home time zone. The home date would have been a good choice there, since the date at 3:00 only shows the second time zone date. This forces me to keep both time zones set to the same place.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I'll pick on the Citizen Nighthawk.

NH2.jpg

This suggested improvement applies to any watch with a rotating inner bezel, really.

Make it so that the crown used to rotate the bezel is either lock-able, or so that you have to pull it out a click like you do on the main movement crown to turn the bezel.

Let's face it: We spend FAR MORE time re-adjusting the bezel that little fraction of a millimeter when it gets nudged out of that spot-on perfect alignment than we do actually using it as a slide rule.

·
Registered
502 Posts
407128d1300571612-strap-seiko-green-alpinist-448821190_o.jpg

I happen to think that the Seiko Alpinist is probably one of the most perfect watches in existence but the one change that I think would make the watch perfect is if the case were bronze or some other material that matched the style of the face more.

·
Premium Member
40,679 Posts
I'll pick on the Citizen Nighthawk.

View attachment 1196806

This suggested improvement applies to any watch with a rotating inner bezel, really.

Make it so that the crown used to rotate the bezel is either lock-able, or so that you have to pull it out a click like you do on the main movement crown to turn the bezel.

Let's face it: We spend FAR MORE time re-adjusting the bezel that little fraction of a millimeter when it gets nudged out of that spot-on perfect alignment than we do actually using it as a slide rule.
While the last part is true, I'm not sure a lockable bezel is really worthwhile. Lockable internal bezels on dive watches are very useful so that you don't knock it and then run out of air because your timings were wrong. A slide rule bezel is for doing quick calcs on the fly so there's no need to lock it in place to preserve the result for later.

·
Registered
Oris Aquis Date Titanium
5,396 Posts
Mine are largely aesthetic and cosmetic.

My Vostok Amphibia came with the usual red-black dot bezel. Am not a fan of it. To me, it looks too toy-like, especially with this case and the blue dial.

View attachment 1196596

I think the look drastically improved when I modded it with a Murphy bezel and a Seiko insert. There are enough people who agree with me for Dave to have a viable business from this.

View attachment 1196597

That said, I think the old bezel works with certain Amphibia, like the Zissou.

Another peeve: the Seiko 5 shield. To me, it cheapens the watch, like wearing a big numbered sports jersey over a good suit.

View attachment 1196601

And so I got rid of mine by tapping a pin to knock of its footing behind the dial.

View attachment 1196603

I think the "shieldless" version is much better. I do agree with you, Nadim, that the SNK809 is on the small side for a non-vintage. I rarely wear it, and it may end up being a donor watch for a mod at some point.

View attachment 1196604
Good job, I hate that 5 shield too. It would be nicer if the crown was bigger and maybe a bit different.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I have a Citizen BM8180-03E … I wear it when I don’t much care what might happen to it but …

bm81'.jpg

I would like it better if it had hands that were just a bit bigger … didn’t have a day window

1 - 20 of 45 Posts