WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, my greatest nemesis is the misaligned seconds hand on quartz. I was thinking today about the various strategies for fixing that.

1. Perfect alignment. I've seen it, usually on Citizens but also on Grand Seiko watches. I was lucky enough to get a Timex with perfect alignment but I figure that will never happen again in this universe.

2. Sweeping quartz. Bulova's the king here, but most of them aren't my style.

3. Two-hand quartz. My favorite of these is by Uniform Wares but I've seen a few other nice ones.

4. Digital seconds. Today's thread. Of course all digital watches are perfect, so I thought I'd bring up ana-digi watches that have analog time with digital seconds. To me it's a perfect solution. Casio does it well, but if I'm not mistaken I've seen Seiko, Breitling, and a few others do it. Somebody here probably knows which ETA quartz movements do it.

Since it's rude to start a thread without pictures, here's what I dug up with a couple of minutes' thought:
efa132pb-1av_xlarge.jpg Casio's 4334 module
590894d1325348114-looking-new-ana-digi-slide-rule-snj019-2.jpg Seiko SNJ019. I could have had one of these on clearance for $150 once but I was into mechanical and didn't get it. I could kick myself now.

aeros6.jpg Breitling Aerospace

Victorinox-Swiss-Army-XLS-Ana-Digi.jpg Victorinox Swiss Army XLS

41tQXNB78iL._SL500_SS500_.jpg Tissot T-Touch

What am I missing? I'd use the search function, but what do you search for here?

Reactions: mitadoc

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hadn't seen that one. What's the little yellow hand for? Is it only chronograph seconds?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was looking at the Tissot T-Touch for a while but heard they drain batteries fast. I think I read one battery every two or three years. There are a few G-Shock an-digi I've seen but no model numbers are jumping out at me. My favorite ani-digi had to be the Chronosport UDT, but that has a second hand.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
180726d1291138746-citizen-navi-hawk-jn004-51e-citizen.jpg 2869488791_900204825f.jpg
Looks like I can add Citizen Navihawk to the list, but none of the Eco-Drive models in their current lineup.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
This is a sweet deal...most of an Aerospace, brand new for $300, can't beat it.
Tissot Men's T34748762 T-Classic PR50 Analog-Digital Titanium Watch: Watches: Amazon.com
Let's throw a pic of that on here since I am intending this thread to be a resource.
1279804572.jpg
I like it. The Aerospace's bezel is nicer of course, but at only 38mm there's nothing wrong with this watch being a simple 2.5-hander.

I just saw one on eBay with a rubber strap, so maybe that bit in the middle of the lugs can be removed, which would give you a lot of strap options.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Normally, I do not wear quartz because I don't like to deal with batteries. (big collection = lots of dead batteries when you go looking for something) But, recently I wanted something that would be good for when I am out mowing, working in the garage, or just working around the house, etc. I came up with this, which I got for under $75 on Amazon. I got it specifically for the "hands" as I'm not a fan of all digital.... G'day to all!
DSC00146.JPG DSC00147.JPG
Casio Mens G300-3AV G-Shock Ana-Dig Black Street Rider

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Casio has a lot of movements like this. I wonder if a second hand getting knocked into misalignment or knocked off entirely is a common impact trauma for watches. The only analog Casio I have is pretty well aligned, although it helps that it has small seconds at 6 o'clock and only uses the central hand for the chronograph or as a function indicator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Tissot Sea-Touch is another tickless ani-digi. Read mixed reviews of it. Some people said the hands were hard to see at a glance and that some of the features, like the compass, really weren't meant for a dive watch. It seems a bit forced and I think the orange hands would be hard to read under bad light. Tissot-Sea-Touch-atlant-T-T026-420-17-281-00.jpg Tissot-Sea-Touch-atlant-T-T026-420-17-281-00.jpg

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
groupdial.jpg
A trio of ETA 988.432 based Swiss watches.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tagzzz.jpg
Tag Heuer 2000 Multigraph.
This is almost the perfect watch for me.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I own this one on the OEM bracelet. This is not my photo, but fellow WUS'er TimetoLive's. I believe it qualifies ani-digi, but it does have a seconds hand. I hope he has better luck with his than I do with mine...because mine is a complete POS. Misaligned hands? How about hands that are off by 2 hours and 17 minutes? Interestingly they line up perfectly with the dial markers...just the wrong ones...

006-4.jpg

on bracelet

1 - 20 of 21 Posts