WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

A new genre of watches has really grown on me lately, starting with the Tudor North Flag (bracelet):

Tudor-North-Flag-KD-2.jpg

Really love it. Unfortunately I'm going through a teenage rebellious phase with luxury Swiss brands so I became attracted to some nice Hamies:

49382_v_1337866265.jpg

h70595963_pr_original_11409.jpg

Even the Tudor Ranger:
Tudor-Ranger-79910-watch-8.jpg

But I feel that it's a little too minimalistic for its price.

I'm not really sure how to define what I'm looking for, is it the big, bold font used on dials that define a field watch? Or is it the strap? But I really like the North Flag on bracelet so it can't be the strap. Can you recommend something along those lines?

Not really interested in a quartz at the moment because I have an awesome GShock for some real heavy duty work or play.

Better yet, let's see yours!

Howi

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,281 Posts
I recently sold my Omega which was probably the closest thing I've had lately to a field watch.

.. is it the big, bold font used on dials that define a field watch? Or is it the strap?
Field watches originated as civilian versions of military watches for outdoor activities - they started out generally small, light, durable, highly legible, and usually inexpensive. Hamilton and VSA have them in their blood and many other brands offer variations on the theme. There's always some to be found in Seiko's huge line up:

The Archimede Outdoor Protect is another modern take on it:

Archimede_out_1__6__jpg_18.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,940 Posts
That Victorinox Field Artillery is very nice. It's clean and straightforward but still reasonably individualistic. Their site shows a gold-tone case, but the color is more like that of 10K gold instead of 18K or better...softer. More like a rich Champagne color. With brown dial on light or brown strap...this watch practically screams leather NATO strap to me...awesome. List price is very reasonable.

I'm considering getting something *exactly* like this, too. This may well check off every box except (barely) size. It's 40 mm, and I personally would prefer *just* a bit smaller. That said, I've got some 40s; it's an OK size.

UPDATE: Saw a very good price. Ordered.

·
Premium Member
7,117 Posts
Hmm, I think this could fit the bill. Edit: probably one of the few which don't have Arabic numerals now that I think of it...
It's not a bad option, but I think of the Explorer (posted by faiz) as more of a field type watch than the Exp II.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hmm, I think this could fit the bill. Edit: probably one of the few which don't have Arabic numerals now that I think of it...
It's not a bad option, but I think of the Explorer (posted by faiz) as more of a field type watch than the Exp II.
Yeah that is my thought as well, but there is a reason why both share explorer name. I guess I'm using the word adventure since that gives me a clear idea. I can go on an adventure: I'm not sure what going on a field or fielding is.

If you went on an adventure, such as climbing the Himalayas which is why they created the explorer, which one would you choose? I would choose the explorer II as I think it would be more useful. Maybe it is the modern interpretation of an adventure watch.

·
Premium Member
7,117 Posts
Yeah that is my thought as well, but there is a reason why both share explorer name. I guess I'm using the word adventure since that gives me a clear idea. I can go on an adventure: I'm not sure what going on a field or fielding is.

If you went on an adventure, such as climbing the Himalayas which is why they created the explorer, which one would you choose? I would choose the explorer II as I think it would be more useful. Maybe it is the modern interpretation of an adventure watch.
Either would work, though I'd probably opt for the black dial version of the Exp II for the sake of legibility. ;)

1 - 20 of 80 Posts