WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 431 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want to stir things up a bit and what's the better way of doing this than start a good old discussion about watch snobbery these days...

You can bury your head in the sand and say that no one usually cares about the watch you are wearing, which might be true when you go down to your local mall for a weekly shopping (please don't take this literally its just a metaphor) but when it comes down to the dealings with certain type people or business circles this can turn into a completely different story and sometimes can contribute to a deal-breaker.

In our materialistic world, like it or not but first impressions matter - the way you look, your haircut, your suit/clothes, your shoes, the car you drive, the watch you have on your wrist... the list can go on and on.

People do and will make judgements about the others, its just human nature. On what factors these judgements are made is down to each individuals personal values, culture and upbringing.

In some cultures it is important to show of your wealth and success to be taken seriously, which is sad, but then if you look at the historical events you can understand the thinking behind it.

Now there are a few ways to go about it:
You can wear what you like and don't give a toss what others will think of you, or try to "fit in" to an extent and use that to your advantage.

I saw a mention in another thread from WUS member where he was wearing a quality boutique diver to a meeting when someone pointed out saying "nice fake!". I doubt it was helpful to make a good first impression.

Some would probably describe the person who made the rude comment as an ignorant ........., and I would agree! But reality is, as long as you need that .........'s business you might have preferred to make a better impression of yourself by wearing something more "respectable" by his terms.

So I want to start a discussion about the subject of watch snobbery, your personal experiences, stories etc. Also which lower end brands in your opinion at least would get some "respect" from who is true and ignorant "Watch Snob".

I think you have to admit that even on this forum we have some snobbery going on and it is not going only one way... Just look at some threads when it involves Homages, Seiko vs Rolex etc.

As for me, I think there's a good Japanese saying - "The nail that sticks out gets hammered."

In my line of work I deal with large spectrum of clients from a very conservative and traditional to super flashy and in your face types. For the latter type to the meetings I tend to wear my Cartier Satnos 100 on which I get lots of compliments and appreciation. When I have more formal and conservative meetings I wear my newly acquired Frederique Constant, Hamilton Jazzmaster or some lovely vintage pieces that I got.

Everything should have its own place and time... when you've made it you do what you want b-)

Sorry about the long post... but let's keep it civil though

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have never ever denied being a "Snob"....
But I'm a loveable,friendly "Snob"......;-)
Count me in there.

My snob vitriol only comes out on rare occasions. I mostly just enjoy sharing my opinions and knowledge.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
16 Posts
I find that this actually breaks down into 2 categories. Uneducated Snobs and Aficionados. Let me explain...

Please keep in mind I come from a background in car culture and will draw parallels to that.

When it comes to nice things, expensive goods, high class, what ever you call it, there are really 2 types of people out there. Those who buy things because their bosses boss has it, and those who buy things because they truly appreciate them. There are many people out there who buy a submariner because its a "fancy watch" beyond that they know nothing about it. Then there are those who will buy it because it is automatic, a certified chronometer, and good to 1000ft under water which like it or not is a true feat of engineering. These people will do their research, reading and chose the right watch for them, where as the other kind will pick the shiniest one in the store. Now I have nothing against those who chose the shiniest one but at the same time I do... I come from a world of cars, vintage Porsches to be exact. I have restored, fixed, collected, raced them since I was in high school. I have a variety of them that really did not cost me very much. I have always found the people with the vintage stuff that they work on to be much nicer than the guys who have a 911 because their boss does. Now dont get me wrong the new 911 is epic but I dont need 500HP and 2 turbos. My tame 180HP, naturally aspirated 911SC from 1978 gets me into enough trouble as is.

I guess what im saying is its ok to be a snob but if I ask you if that's a 996 or a 997 your response should not be "neither its a 911" you should know what your car is. Much like if I ask you is that a chronometer or a chronograph your response should not be "what, neither, its a watch"

Regards
Dave

·
Registered
716 Posts
...if I ask you if that's a 996 or a 997 your response should be "neither its a 911".

Regards
Dave
Off topic:I had this exact interaction with a gentleman once (89 Carerra owner myself).

On topic: Of course "snobbery" exists. Right wrong or indifferent there will always be those who judge others based on their material possessions. One can either accept it and use it to their advantage or ignore it and do whatever they d**n well please.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
I have never, ever, ever found that I need to be wearing a particular "level" watch in any life situation, personal or business. In fact I find that I can't even think of a situation where a watch was REQUIRED at all, or where it had any impact at all on the business interaction. Sure there ARE scenarios where wearing a 55mm Invicta or all-white G-shock is inappropriate and CAN create a bad impression, but I've never seen a scenario where a tasteful Timex wasn't perfectly fine.

I know there are people out there who operate in a world were fashion is much more important, hollywood, clothing industry, etc... but I think those people are the extreme minority.

I think the reality is that most WIS snobbery is really about wishful thinking. We've gone and spent exorbitant quantities of money on a luxury item that very few people appreciate. I think we all wish other people would share our passion a bit more and select watches with a bit more ooomph.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I can't say I've experienced any level of snobbery one way or the other. Granted, I don't have any stunning pieces, but the SMP and the Jazzmaster Mastro are pretty decent looking, IMO. The SMP being an Omega, it has a good reputation--but it's also a really common higher end watch. The Hamilton may be less well known among the public, but it's a really big watch--you can't really miss it IMO. I've never gotten any comments on the SMP and only one on the Hamilton. But I also don't work in a field where people notice or care what you wear (or what you drive). Out in public, no one says anything--unless I'm in a watch store and an employee notices what I'm wearing.

My cars, which aren't really anything terrible special (a VW Corrado and late model mustang GT), get FAR more attention than any watch I've ever worn. In both instances, I buy what I like, but it seems like more people like what I drive than what I wear on my wrist.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have never, ever, ever found that I need to be wearing a particular "level" watch in any life situation, personal or business. In fact I find that I can't even think of a situation where a watch was REQUIRED at all, or where it had any impact at all on the business interaction. Sure there ARE scenarios where wearing a 55mm Invicta or all-white G-shock is inappropriate and CAN create a bad impression, but I've never seen a scenario where a tasteful Timex wasn't perfectly fine.

I know there are people out there who operate in a world were fashion is much more important, hollywood, clothing industry, etc... but I think those people are the extreme minority.

I think the reality is that most WIS snobbery is really about wishful thinking. We've gone and spent exorbitant quantities of money on a luxury item that very few people appreciate. I think we all wish other people would share our passion a bit more and select watches with a bit more ooomph.
This is a great post. You should wear a nice watch because you want to and appreciate it, and not for the benefit of anybody else.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Any snobbery I may have would be directed towards those who don't like watches.;-) And I'd never describe it as snobbery - instead I'm thinking along the lines of "they don't know what they're missing".

To get a little more on track with what the OP is talking about, I do acknowledge that for many people watches are some form of status symbol, this isn't true for eveyone.

I am not so interested in status, but instead I prefer dealing with enthusiasts who can put aside stigmas and who share a real passion for watches. I have enjoyed discussions with such enthusiasts wearing anything from an Orient to a Patek. I have also met d-bags wearing the same span of watches. The watch doesn't make the person, nor does a watch make an enthusiast.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
It also goes both ways. I've witnessed Orient wearers turning their noses to a Patek.
Yup, I've witnessed that also, there is definitely reverse snobbery.

As for myself, I have a Rolex Sub, which in a way is the ultimate in your face watch, simply because it's very recognizable to even non watch people. As such I do NOT wear it if I'm meeting a client. In my business, wearing an expensive watch or arriving in a flashy car are negative. I can't tell you how many comments I got about driving a BMW, to the point I traded it on a VW. So while I do like nice watches, I don't ever want to be judged based on what I'm wearing. And to be honest, I have a hard time believing that people in any culture really notice that much (I could be wrong here) because there are a lot more non watch people than watch people.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
As I have said b/4....My Rolex helped me close million dollar deals on occasion..:-!..I have never ever denied being a "Snob"....b-)
But I'm a loveable,friendly "Snob"......;-)
(Please ignore this question if it's intrusive.) But this makes me curious. Without getting into private details, could you explain in general terms the mechanics of this? I assume some client found it reassuring that you were a person of adequate substance to wear a Rolex, and then made the deal? It's all pretty interesting, in that, as you well know, any number of people have posted variations on, "I never wear my Rolex/Patek/etc. when I'm meeting a client." One of the financial advisors in my small town drives a Ferrari, and some people avoid him for that reason, but I figure it's a good thing.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
This is why I prefer watches that are not universally recognized. Also, I agree with the comments that one should not wear something blatantly out of context.

When I was a lad, I loved wearing my Sub or DJ as it made me feel special, but for the wrong reasons, i.e., I wanted people to recognize what I had on. Now, I have gone completely the other way, everything I buy is for ME to enjoy and I don't care what others think. Do I like bumping into the occasional WIS and discussing watches...you bet, but I don't like mine being recognized for anything other than it is, a miraculous little machine that ticks away for decades.

I have never had a meeting or anything else go awry due to what watch I had on. I drive a BMW and wear nice clothes, but that is just the norm for my profession and I don't drive it to "be seen", it's because I like to drive and it tickles me every time I get behind the wheel.

Bottom line, who you are and how you present yourself defines you, not the watch you wear and the car you drive.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
I'll admit to being a watch snob..Only what I dub a "Watch Snob" may be different from ones perspective..I only purchase brands w/ solid reps,great mvmnts & classy service.I enjoy purchasing Rolex,Pam's, Omega's but NOT to get noticed cuz seldom do I get approached about what I'm wearing unless @ a AD or High end jewelry store.
But sadly our world does judge us by our financial status..But hey I never have to worry bout that I'm tattoo'd from head to toe so automatically society looks @ me like a Dirt-bag all the while I'm wearing a 6k-8k "TIMEPIECE" so let-em judge I say..
I run a business & I've never closed a deal from the piece I have on my wrist.But I do believe it happens.
I also feel good wearing a NICE TIMEPIECE OTW.

Reactions: Splinter Faction

·
Registered
16 Posts
Off topic:I had this exact interaction with a gentleman once (89 Carerra owner myself).

On topic: Of course "snobbery" exists. Right wrong or indifferent there will always be those who judge others based on their material possessions. One can either accept it and use it to their advantage or ignore it and do whatever they d**n well please.
I actually mis quoted my self here. I meant to say that should not be your response as the owner should know. But I digress, very cool on the 89 I have been looking for a Carrera coupe recently. I have a 78 SC Targa, 87 944 and 88 924S

Regards
Dave

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
Snobbery is usually down to ignorance and bias and I can mostly ignore those as well, it is the person demonstrating those traits are the ones with issues, not me.

Yes, that makes me a snob snob.

1 - 20 of 431 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.