WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been liking the Dynamic a lot more lately, but there doesn't seem to be much discussion on it here, searched and didn't come up with much.

M4tt found his and I saw that thread, which really makes me want one now.

What do you guys think about the watch? I'm not into the vintage Dynamics, I like the ones from 1998-2000. I think it fits the simple, no frills, great design and readability bill perfect.

|>

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Great design and legibility. I used to own the Dynamic Chronograph until a few months ago. When these came out in the 90's they were not a big success. Omega stopped the line within a few years and dumped the remaining inventory. Good prices back then.

Here is a site that reviews the watch:

http://members.chello.nl/~h.mennink/watches/_private/omegadynamic.htm

·
Registered
575 Posts
In large part they were underappreciated, although Omega kind of shot themselves in the foot with with these. They bear a direct design lineage with the Omega '53 pilots watches made for the RAF, but Omega chose not to advertise the military lineage. Without an understanding of the history, the design on these just seems a little dated and they're not especially attractive to a casual buyer especially with non-chronometer movements.

Given that military watches have now become much more valuable and the internet has brought increased awareness, I bet they would be great sellers today if they sold with a 2500C inside and they captialized on the cachet of the military lineage.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The 97-98 Dynamic was my first "real" watch, and the main reason for my Omega enthusiasm. I purchased my Dynamic (non-chrono) back in 98 after having a string of bad luck with watches; I had within a 3 month periode gone through 3 Seiko Kinetics (first one started running very erratic, next one flat out just stopped ,and the last one got its crown yanked off after getting caught up in a thread on my shirt sleeve..). I had at the time very limited experience with swiss watches, but the utilitarian design and extreme "readability" of the Dynamic grabbed my attention. The clean and clear face, the easy to read numerals, the big beefy crown, all just screamed "quality and function" to me.

Through the 10 years of usage it only came off my wrist for bathing and showering, and this was simply because I was never able to find any data on water resistance. Other than that it was my all-day everyday (and indeed only) watch. I don't go out of my way to bang up watches, but I certainly never babyed it. And this watch just held up like a champ. Yes, there are small dings and scratches on the steel case, but the crystal is simply perfact after all these years. I have gone thru 3 straps, and the last year it has started to slow a bit whenever I have it off my arm for a while, but this must be chalked up to a lack of service (10 years without any TLC).

So now its time to send it off for some service, while my new 42mm Planet Ocean assumes the "daily timekeeper" duty. And rest assured that the Dynamic will stay with me, as I find it just at robust and visually appealing now as I did the day I got it. A undervalued Omega gem IMHO.

A few shots of my Dynamic (after 10 years use and abuse) sporting its new Hirsh strap:

Thor

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for sharing Thor, I think I saw your first post talking about this watch and wanting to get a new PO. Congrats on getting it!

The Dynamic still looks pretty damn good after 10 years!

·
Registered
204 Posts
My first "serious" watch was also the Dynamic and it was the start of my love affair with Omega. Feedback that i got from this forum:
1. Underrated. Really is a good watch
2. Poor sales in the U.S. - no date (chrono version)
3. Dubois Depraz chrono module piggyback hard to repair
4. Perfect legibility
5. Small for a modern day chrono

I thought of letting it go a couple of times but the watch sort of grew on me. Here's mine:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts