WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
New thread? While I agree that watch designs can be stiff and be more bold instead of the just another Submariner thing... I definitely don't think I want watches to go bald, yeah.

Ironically this seems like the least bold of your designs, but it also looks the easiest one to produce as it has no particularly strange or difficult features.

The gear-like crown is a bit unrefined looking for the otherwise semi-dressy look, I think, but someone who wants something that looks classy at a distance with flavor up close should like it.

Reactions: ProdCastDesign

·
Registered
703 Posts
I like the basic graphics, but not a fan of the colors. I'm more into silver/blue/grey than brown/gold, but I like what you've shown so far. I'm a fan of simpler, less cluttered watch faces, so less is more for me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New thread? While I agree that watch designs can be stiff and be more bold instead of the just another Submariner thing... I definitely don't think I want watches to go bald, yeah.

Ironically this seems like the least bold of your designs, but it also looks the easiest one to produce as it has no particularly strange or difficult features.

The gear-like crown is a bit unrefined looking for the otherwise semi-dressy look, I think, but someone who wants something that looks classy at a distance with flavor up close should like it.
Thank you for your comment: indeed there are no tricky features... The crown needs to be recognized as my Design

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Referring to the title of the thread..(is this about watchdesign in common , or just to introduce your proposal)

Or better :what do different people feel when using the word design..

Over time I have seen plenty of shiny pictures, ambitious proposals and

- I hope you will not take it for bad -

unwearable artwork which perhaps could be built with lots of efforts ,

but which never will be wearable or usable in daily life.

Just for me and my position..
sketching something down once, making a visual proposal..
rendered or with pen and paper doesnt matter and letting it stand as it is,
is just effort , sometimes art - and very seldom it is an idea which can be thought about a second time.

Sketching something down is just FORM . In my eyes design is nothing which stands alone for itself as art does.
Design has a reason and an orientation. One will prior FORM the other one puts FUNCTIONALITY at first place.
But in any case both halves of the whole have to be brought together with some focus and orientatation to achieve an optimum solution for something which the design ist to be done for (ok this one in my eyes is rather industrial or product design)..

E.g. The dial may be an artwork itself but its always important that it tells the time, date or whatelse it is made for to fulfill its duty in the spec of the product it is designed for. And under conditions e.g. for a diver it has to be designed and optimized to be readable under water, and at low light conditions.
The same for every other part of the watch. And when everything comes together the whole thing must look as one piece and as just this one ist the wanted product.. Those are just my 5 Pence in .. just my opinion , please dont take it for an offence... but many "designs" shown here with the question for help on building a proto are quite far away from this point..

Regarding your proposals.. the big crown may cause some difficulties in manufacturing the mid part of the housing with the transition (casting would probably a way but relates to limited materials to be used for this..) ... and your logo will probably increase the price of the crown by factors.. (you have very fine lines on the logo and I would suggest to simplify it .. not to come into issues).

And think about.. a big crown on a dresser affects wearability and it is not necessary (e.g. to manipulate with gloves or under harsh conditions)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Referring to the title of the thread..(is this about watchdesign in common , or just to introduce your proposal)

Or better :what do different people feel when using the word design..

Over time I have seen plenty of shiny pictures, ambitious proposals and

- I hope you will not take it for bad -

unwearable artwork which perhaps could be built with lots of efforts ,

but which never will be wearable or usable in daily life.

Just for me and my position..
sketching something down once, making a visual proposal..
rendered or with pen and paper doesnt matter and letting it stand as it is,
is just effort , sometimes art - and very seldom it is an idea which can be thought about a second time.

Sketching something down is just FORM . In my eyes design is nothing which stands alone for itself as art does.
Design has a reason and an orientation. One will prior FORM the other one puts FUNCTIONALITY at first place.
But in any case both halves of the whole have to be brought together with some focus and orientatation to achieve an optimum solution for something which the design ist to be done for (ok this one in my eyes is rather industrial or product design)..

E.g. The dial may be an artwork itself but its always important that it tells the time, date or whatelse it is made for to fulfill its duty in the spec of the product it is designed for. And under conditions e.g. for a diver it has to be designed and optimized to be readable under water, and at low light conditions.
The same for every other part of the watch. And when everything comes together the whole thing must look as one piece and as just this one ist the wanted product.. Those are just my 5 Pence in .. just my opinion , please dont take it for an offence... but many "designs" shown here with the question for help on building a proto are quite far away from this point..

Regarding your proposals.. the big crown may cause some difficulties in manufacturing the mid part of the housing with the transition (casting would probably a way but relates to limited materials to be used for this..) ... and your logo will probably increase the price of the crown by factors.. (you have very fine lines on the logo and I would suggest to simplify it .. not to come into issues).

And think about.. a big crown on a dresser affects wearability and it is not necessary (e.g. to manipulate with gloves or under harsh conditions)
Hi thank you for your detailed commends they are appriciated...

I think a watch is more than just a device to Check the time or date..
Than your phone or a electronic device does a better job on this..
I see it as a mechanical artwork a fashion device a device to show your love of technics, a show off a piece to talk about.. To show that you think differently about common things... Within the limit of the need to show time...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But I also like to challenge the way watches are designed and made.. And try to step on the edge of thinks... A different look at watches... And do want to bring one in production.. But I see there is a lot to learn about designing the inside of a case and fitting a mechanic inside...

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
To bring one in production.. just to say you should dig into productikn technologies to get it or at least the parts manufactured economically.. e.g. the logo.. there is a posibility to manfacture the part in detail and precision the technology is called LIGA.. but the parts are just to be made from a few materials which may not be rigid or harmless (soft Gold or Nickle) .. and the process is just done by a hand full of labs over the world and it is extrordinary expensive..

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To bring one in production.. just to say you should dig into productikn technologies to get it or at least the parts manufactured economically.. e.g. the logo.. there is a posibility to manfacture the part in detail and precision the technology is called LIGA.. but the parts are just to be made from a few materials which may not be rigid or harmless (soft Gold or Nickle) .. and the process is just done by a hand full of labs over the world and it is extrordinary expensive..
How are your experience in this: if I see your profile you must have the capability to actual create a watch...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
LIGA is too expensive.. Ithink that IWC did some LIGA parts for their il Destriero but thats rather400k Swiss Francs ..

Meanwhile I took several attempts on watch cases but now its more or less work.. and for the huge steps there is neither money nor time beneath the job..

To join my idea.. when I started the thread I would have had the time but meanwhile I have a new job which makes me someway less spontaneous.. so as soon as I finished my current processes and as there are some more attendents I'm in, but dont ask for a timeline.. there are too many guys around asking for that...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No watch but with rather
38 gears and pinions fairly close to..
https://youtu.be/6QqNPTTxtyQ
I saw that impressive... Do you know how to assamble a watch? Like do you know the tolerance between the main part: mechanic and case that are thing I struggle with... I can let a case be printed in steel an assemble the mechanic in but have no clue about the tolerance between the parts..

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Normal prints (slm) will not satisfy you by surface quality nor tolerances.. means you will have to rework it completely.. for precision it would be easier to cut it once from stockmaterial..

You could try what jewellers do.. make an oversize wax pring and vacuum cast the part with Bronze or Gold but this means tha you again will have to rework the tolerances for the fitting interfaces.. if you will take a look into technical documentation you will see tables for tolerance pairings.. (dependent on the material you will have to fine tune this..) but as you probably know Watchmaker is one of the hardest apprenticeships within the mechanical professions..

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Normal prints (slm) will not satisfy you by surface quality nor tolerances.. means you will have to rework it completely.. for precision it would be easier to cut it once from stockmaterial..
If you keep to their rules you can check your 3d designs if it's possible to print in polished steel it's done with pouder.. 'Holthinrichs Watches' does this too...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts