WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love straps and a custom leather strap for a Sinn U1 deployant isn’t one of those common strap projects. I was able to find only two forum threads on the subject and both were rather old.

My wrist size is between 6.75”-7.00” and have always had custom straps made for my for me. I’ve dealt with only a few strap makers in the past and am always looking to find a US based, up and coming timepiece tailor.

I recently started following Level.5x and his journey as a strap maker. A committed artisan who is working on refining his craft and willing to share his progress with an audience. I liked what I saw, decided to reach out and this is what happened.

Cognac Brown with Gunmetal thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I love straps and a custom leather strap for a Sinn U1 deployant isn’t one of those common strap projects. I was able to find only two forum threads on the subject and both were rather old.

My wrist size is between 6.75”-7.00” and have always had custom straps made for my for me. I’ve dealt with only a few strap makers in the past and am always looking to find a US based, up and coming timepiece tailor.

I recently started following Level.5x and his journey as a strap maker. A committed artisan who is working on refining his craft and willing to share his progress with an audience. I liked what I saw, decided to reach out and this is what happened.

Amazing I am going to reach out for my next strap

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Looks fantastic Ray! Love how it looks on that watch. Heres some additional pics of the strap and leather used.

Thanks for the opportunity to make this for you!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Sweet leather,what kind of horween is that ?

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Sweet leather,what kind of horween is that ?

Not Horween actually. Its from an Italian tannery called Badalassi Carlo. Its cow hide with a waxy content and then 'tumbled' in a giant cylinder to give it a natural distressed look. This also helps the leather have a softer, more flexible hand. The wax and oils do give it a 'pull up' effect similar to Horween Dublin/Derby tannage as well as Horween Chromexcel tannage.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Not Horween actually. Its from an Italian tannery called Badalassi Carlo. Its cow hide with a waxy content and then 'tumbled' in a giant cylinder to give it a natural distressed look. This also helps the leather have a softer, more flexible hand. The wax and oils do give it a 'pull up' effect similar to Horween Dublin/Derby tannage as well as Horween Chromexcel tannage.

Very nice and excellent work!! Will DM you soon

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks fantastic Ray! Love how it looks on that watch. Heres some additional pics of the strap and leather used.

Thanks for the opportunity to make this for you!

Thanks for an amazing job on this project. This is just the start!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Level 5 sure has come along, I remember those first posts where I was like "that's not bad for a first try!" These days I have no doubt he could do strap making for money and legitimately succeed, kudo's man great work!

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Level 5 sure has come along, I remember those first posts where I was like "that's not bad for a first try!" These days I have no doubt he could do strap making for money and legitimately succeed, kudo's man great work!
Thanks Karkarov! I know youve been following me from the start so I appreciate you noting the progression. I hope to open a webpage or etsy store soon, though I have to say WUS has been so helpful to getting me started. To post FS ads and have thousands of views and not have to pay anything is extremely generous now that I explore other platforms. Really helps us little guys get off the ground running!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Thanks Karkarov! I know youve been following me from the start so I appreciate you noting the progression. I hope to open a webpage or etsy store soon, though I have to say WUS has been so helpful to getting me started. To post FS ads and have thousands of views and not have to pay anything is extremely generous now that I explore other platforms. Really helps us little guys get off the ground running!

When/If you set that store up, let us know man!

·
Registered
930 Posts

When it looks so good on the diver guess how amazing it looks on the pilot? ;-) Show them, Nick! You have my permission.

For those of you guys considering - not only the leathers and skills are top quality but the man is a pleasure to work with and super fast with the project.
5 Stars*****

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When it looks so good on the diver guess how amazing it looks on the pilot? ;-) Show them, Nick! You have my permission.

For those of you guys considering - not only the leathers and skills are top quality but the man is a pleasure to work with and super fast with the project.
5 Stars*****
I’ve already placed a second order to strap up a Stowa Ikarus. Nick is absolutely a pleasure to work with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,542 Posts

5 Stars*****
I’ve already placed a second order to strap up a Stowa Ikarus. Nick is absolutely a pleasure to work with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you guys! Have had quite a weekend with custom orders to make. The Waxy Veg tans by Badalassi Carlo tannery in Italy have been very popular! Here's one on transporter305's beautiful Zenith...

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

Also sending this one out to another repeat customer tomorrow!

20180414_172309.jpg

And sending this Horween English Tan to a new customer tomorrow!

20180413_211618.jpg

And my first custom order of the new Red Waxy Veg tan leather for Ray finished today! Expecting more orders with this material but for now, only have enough material left for 3-4 more straps!

20180415_141617.jpg

20180415_142013.jpg

20180415_141533.jpg

Thank you everyone for your orders!

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Couple new leathers I've been working with this weekend! Few new projects finished...1 sold, 2 available, 1 for me. b-)

1. Custom order for 18/16 Horween Dublin Chestnut w/ cream thread-
20180421_175601.jpg

20180421_175341.jpg

2. 22/20mm Red Waxy Veg tan w/ pyrite(dark grey) thread-

20180422_181555.jpg

20180422_181623.jpg

20180422_181944.jpg

3. 20/18mm green Horween Chromexcel lined with soft veg tan calf w/ pyrite thread-

20180422_182401.jpg

20180422_182741.jpg

20180422_182428.jpg

20180422_182720.jpg

4. For me - 22/20mm blue Tochigi Harness leather minimal stitch and lined with natural veg tan calf. With curved spring bar holes for my Chr. WARD C60!

20180422_182928.jpg

20180422_183154.jpg

20180422_183120.jpg

20180422_183246.jpg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts