WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello experts!! Few questions for you....

I never lost a watch with a metal bracelet but I experienced only once a link failure on a 20+ year SS Seiko (one of my dad watches). The watch did not fall off, simply two lugs of a link sheared off.

Spring bars seems critical and even high end watches do not seem immune, some time ago a forum member lost its Submariner on a lake during a fishing trip.
Are friction pins more reliable because are simpler?? Less part that can break?? What about screw tubes?? You can lose a screw (no pun intended) for sure.
Someone thinks that Swatch actually has the toughest bracelet to case attachment with its 4 lungs and a simple friction pin through...What do you think??

So what is the life expectancy of these crucial elements and there should be a periodic check up of all of them on your watch or maybe even a replacement cycle after a certain amount of years is recommended regardless on how these attachment parts look on the outside??

Thank You!!

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Watches need to be maintained, and not just the movement. Seals will eventually deteriorate, springs bars fail, pins and sleeves wear through. The items you speak of are typically check/replaced at every service.

So every watch that comes into my shop gets new spring bars installed, all the bracelet pins, tubes, screws or whatever are all checked, and anything that requires replacing, gets replaced. I've had quite a number of instances where when I remove a bracelet from watch, the spring bar just falls apart. Pins get worn - here is an example of a worn folded pin removed from a bracelet next to a new one:

Here's a worn tube from a pin and tube system:

Worn pin from the same bracelet:

Even worn holes in the links:

These things need to be paid attention to...nothing lasts forever...

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Thanks for showing us those examples, Al.

I have a question for you. Most of us here switch straps quite often. Is there an added stress placed on spring bars by doing so? Should they be replaced more often?

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Thanks for showing us those examples, Al.

I have a question for you. Most of us here switch straps quite often. Is there an added stress placed on spring bars by doing so? Should they be replaced more often?
Not really, unless the bars are getting damaged from the swapping, it shouldn't affect them long term.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Watches need to be maintained, and not just the movement. Seals will eventually deteriorate, springs bars fail, pins and sleeves wear through. The items you speak of are typically check/replaced at every service.

So every watch that comes into my shop gets new spring bars installed, all the bracelet pins, tubes, screws or whatever are all checked, and anything that requires replacing, gets replaced. I've had quite a number of instances where when I remove a bracelet from watch, the spring bar just falls apart. Pins get worn - here is an example of a worn folded pin removed from a bracelet next to a new one:

Here's a worn tube from a pin and tube system:

Worn pin from the same bracelet:

Even worn holes in the links:

These things need to be paid attention to...nothing lasts forever...

Cheers, Al

Thank you very informative!!

I guess people that lose watches (even expensive ones) often is because they simply neglect a good servicing (I never serviced a watch so far) which include bracelets....like expecting a trouble free scuba session with a 20 year diver watch, no matter how expensive, that never had it seals replaced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts