WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I am wearing the watch I got as a 2009 wedding gift, a Tag Heuer Carrera Automatic. Prior to joining WUS, I wore this watch everyday . I just knew that I had to wear this automatic watch everyday to keep it running. I thought it was cool that it didn't need a battery. I chose it at the Bloomingdale's watch section because I thought a dressier understated watch would be better for professional settings. I simply wore it everyday and enjoyed it immensely..

But then I joined WUS after reading about Horween leather watch straps in a men's magazine site. I soon discovered the wonderful world of watches and my current love of dive watches. I learned about in house movements, accuracy, alignment, preventing scratching, what ugly hands are, power reserve, and every little nuance we obsess with here. I think about watches all the time, but I also became very picky and anal about every little thing about my watches.

But going back to my humble wedding gift Tag now I appreciate it more. The date wheel matches the dial, Everything is aligned. It can be serviced anywhere basically. The indices are cool. at 39mm it's a great size. It has scratches from everyday wear, but I don't care. They are my scratches. It could be refinished, but I am OK with its marks.

Post WUS I learned some think Tag Heuer is an overpriced fashion brand. But I'm even fine with that. I'm so happy I joined WUS, as I've learned so much about watches. But just a tiny part of me longs for the carefree days when I didn't even notice if my watch was running fast or slow or if it scratched or if the end links fit nicely or if this or that.

But in the end, I'm better for my new watch knowledge, I've met great people here and learned that obsessing over every detail of a watch is fun. I'm also glad I chose a pretty decent watch before I knew what a SEL is or what COSC specs are.

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
Not sure I would go so far as to call Tag a fashion brand lol. They have made some questionable decisions at times (but really, who hasn't?)......but Tag has also offered some watches that would be respected by any level of watch enthusiast.

Do not over think it. Wear what you like.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually my point is I don't care whether it is or not. What I'm trying to say is I appreciate my watch even more now knowing more about watches. Also, I'm not calling my Tag that, some WUSers do but that's totally fine too is what I'm trying to say.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Tag is not a fashion brand, and your watch is pretty nice.

I have a Formula 1 that some would call overpriced - especially for being quartz. I love it. And it might be my watch most people notice.

Honestly, what good does it do to think something is overpriced after money was already spent on it? Just enjoy it and don't care about others think.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I hear you, its like the Matrix - I've taken the red pill and theres no going back. Until, last year, i thought my two Movado watches were the shiznit. I used to get compliments on them all the time. I don't think I've worn either since I have joined this forum. I will never get rid of either, as both have a huge amount of sentimental value, but I'm not in to them nearly as much.

As a side note, I don't think Ive gotten a compliment on a watch that I've purchased from the forum since I've joined.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems like most people reading this are not getting the point of my post. I don't think my watch is overpriced nor do I care what category it may fall under. My point is: I used to not care about sapphire, whether or not the bracelet links were truly three pieces or not, lume quality, etc... My thread is not about Tag at all. It about this hobby and how it's good but sometimes over complicated but still great. Forget that my wedding watch happens to be a Tag. I love it and I love it even more knowing it has good qualities that watch nerds like us care about.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice !

I've just joined this month, but already looking at my small collection in a different light, even with the small amount of new information I've gathered has been amazing for me as well.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I'm with the OP on this one. Sometimes I long for the days when I just thought a watch was nice without knowing why. Although I no longer have my original Movado and Tag Professional Quartz (and don't really miss them), it was easier. To quote the OP "It's about this hobby and how it's good but sometimes over complicated but still great". Yeah, I miss the days when I didn't over scrutinize everyone's wrist. People think I'm weird and creepy now lmfao.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I realized that I don't have much interest in 95% of the watches that most enlightened enthusiasts drool over--unless I visit the specific forums for the watches I like. I've learned a bit more about the functioning of watches and been introduced to brands I've never heard of before, but the watches I liked before I joined are largely the same watches I like now. I will say that I probably wouldn't have purchased a Seiko if it wasn't for this forum. And I've come to be ok in my potential ownership of a rolex at some point in the distant future. I still don't consider myself a WIS.

Having said all of that, I do enjoy the occasional back-and-forth with people and the occasional thread that really opens my eyes to something in the watch world that I knew nothing about.

Reactions: Tseg and liwang22

·
Registered
467 Posts
It seems like most people reading this are not getting the point of my post. I don't think my watch is overpriced nor do I care what category it may fall under. My point is: I used to not care about sapphire, whether or not the bracelet links were truly three pieces or not, lume quality, etc... My thread is not about Tag at all. It about this hobby and how it's good but sometimes over complicated but still great. Forget that my wedding watch happens to be a Tag. I love it and I love it even more knowing it has good qualities that watch nerds like us care about.
It seems you actually aren't that familiar with watchuseek. The content of your post is irrelevant, people will pick the most controversial statement that you happened to make (whatever the context) and spend the next few pages discussing that. At this moment we are teetering on the edge of this becoming a 20 page Grand Seiko versus Tag debate.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It seems you actually aren't that familiar with watchuseek. The content of your post is irrelevant, people will pick the most controversial statement that you happened to make (whatever the context) and spend the next few pages discussing that. At this moment we are teetering on the edge of this becoming a 20 page Grand Seiko versus Tag debate.
That is hilarious. I am quite familiar with those threads and have been guilty of reading through and even participating in them. Yeah, my hopes may have been too high and temporarily forgot that the words Tag Heuer have an ability to create controversy where it doesn't exist.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm with the OP on this one. Sometimes I long for the days when I just thought a watch was nice without knowing why. Although I no longer have my original Movado and Tag Professional Quartz (and don't really miss them), it was easier. To quote the OP "It's about this hobby and how it's good but sometimes over complicated but still great". Yeah, I miss the days when I didn't over scrutinize everyone's wrist. People think I'm weird and creepy now lmfao.
Yes! You completely get what I'm saying. Thank you.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Life is always better for the blissfully ignorant.

However, once down the rabbit hole there is no going back. You can only hope to reach a state of watch-vana where you just don't give a fig. It's harder than it sounds. It's not just declaring I don't care if you like my watch to online naysayers. It's that moment when you're by yourself, looking at watch in the showroom or online, and loving everything about it... except there's that on esoteric horological nugget that bothers you.

I've taken long stretches away from watch as a hobby because I get bogged own with too much insight. Like this guy, I can understand the compulsion to erase large hunk of knowledge.

Thankfully, the feeling passes. Sometimes instantly, sometimes it takes a few years.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Today I am wearing the watch I got as a 2009 wedding gift, a Tag Heuer Carrera Automatic. Prior to joining WUS, I wore this watch everyday . I just knew that I had to wear this automatic watch everyday to keep it running. I thought it was cool that it didn't need a battery. I chose it at the Bloomingdale's watch section because I thought a dressier understated watch would be better for professional settings. I simply wore it everyday and enjoyed it immensely..

But then I joined WUS after reading about Horween leather watch straps in a men's magazine site. I soon discovered the wonderful world of watches and my current love of dive watches. I learned about in house movements, accuracy, alignment, preventing scratching, what ugly hands are, power reserve, and every little nuance we obsess with here. I think about watches all the time, but I also became very picky and anal about every little thing about my watches.

But going back to my humble wedding gift Tag now I appreciate it more. The date wheel matches the dial, Everything is aligned. It can be serviced anywhere basically. The indices are cool. at 39mm it's a great size. It has scratches from everyday wear, but I don't care. They are my scratches. It could be refinished, but I am OK with its marks.

Post WUS I learned some think Tag Heuer is an overpriced fashion brand. But I'm even fine with that. I'm so happy I joined WUS, as I've learned so much about watches. But just a tiny part of me longs for the carefree days when I didn't even notice if my watch was running fast or slow or if it scratched or if the end links fit nicely or if this or that.

But in the end, I'm better for my new watch knowledge, I've met great people here and learned that obsessing over every detail of a watch is fun. I'm also glad I chose a pretty decent watch before I knew what a SEL is or what COSC specs are.

You can't refinish character. Enjoy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes god forbid if you don't own an uber expensive Rolex, Panerai, Royal Oak, or Patek....if you dont, people on here just belittle you like children in high school.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Yes god forbid if you don't own an uber expensive Rolex, Panerai, Royal Oak, or Patek....if you dont, people on here just belittle you like children in high school.

Says the guy who has been a member less than a month. Your statement could not be any further from the reality of WUS. There are plenty of petty arguments over horological minutiae but what you describe never happens.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts