WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking for a watch off and on the last year, I feel ready to finally make a decision. I am close to buying the Orient FFD0F004W (FFD0F004W | Orient Automatic Watches & Reviews), but my hesitation is I really don't care for the name and logo, which, sad to say, is apparently important to me. What similar high-value, affordable (~$300 or so) automatic watch can anyone recommend? I've considered Orient's 60th Anniversary model as it doesn't use the current logo, but it's a bit too dressy. 40mm case size is pretty much the maximum for my small wrist; a few millimeters less would be ideal. I prefer a white or silver dial with a dark brown leather strap, and I'm not averse to removing a bracelet if necessary. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
You can get a Christopher Ward Malvern for $320 or Henley for $350 (both on leather).

The UHR watches are in the $240-$350 range, but the all caps logo/name makes them pretty casual.

Seagull have a more subtle logo, but the "China Made" is pretty prominent at the bottom.

Since you are happy with a Japanese watch and movement, why not look at Bulova automatics?

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
I don't care much either for the Orient name and logo, which manages to look cheap and pretentious at the same time (guess they're not mutually exclusive are they :-d). But the quality of their watches makes it ok. Orient can do anything they want, they can call themselves what they want, including logo, they're superb watches at their price point, and if you're concerned about spending too much money on a Seiko (e.g. grand seiko) and having it be seen as "just a Seiko;" well, no one's heard of Orient except us WISes and maybe one guy in Iowa :-!.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't care much either for the Orient name and logo, which manages to look cheap and pretentious at the same time (guess they're not mutually exclusive are they :-d). But the quality of their watches makes it ok. Orient can do anything they want, they can call themselves what they want, including logo, they're superb watches at their price point, and if you're concerned about spending too much money on a Seiko (e.g. grand seiko) and having it be seen as "just a Seiko;" well, no one's heard of Orient except us WISes and maybe one guy in Iowa :-!.
Glad I'm not the only one:) "Cheap and pretentious"--exactly! It looks like an awesome watch. I may buy it. But, the stereotypical name and the logo compel me to explore competitors a bit more.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Personally I like the Orient logo, and the name, while carrying an unfortunate connotation because of all the cheap Chinese crap flooding the country, is also not a problem for me. Since they make a quality product for a fair price, I don't worry too much about superficial aspects.

And as Sean779 points out, the watch will be respected by those who know watches. If you avoid them because of the logo, you'll miss out on some great watches.

Reactions: Monocrom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can get a Christopher Ward Malvern for $320 or Henley for $350 (both on leather).

The UHR watches are in the $240-$350 range, but the all caps logo/name makes them pretty casual.

Seagull have a more subtle logo, but the "China Made" is pretty prominent at the bottom.

Since you are happy with a Japanese watch and movement, why not look at Bulova automatics?
Thanks for the ideas! I really like the Christopher Ward Malvern. Using the full name is a little silly, but the logo doesn't bother me. I've looked at Sea-Gulls for a while. I'll check out the UHRs and Bulovas.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I understand where you are coming from. "Orient" seems like some sort of cheap Chinese crap brand. However, after reading all the positive reviews, I did buy a Mako. I have to say, it is awesome. An extremely nice watch for the price. Does not feel cheap or tacky in any way. Only downside is when someone asks (and they have) what it is and you say "Orient" it pretty much ends the conversation. I take comfort in knowing that those who really care about watches know the truth. Don't let it bother you. Get the Orient.

I should add....they don't exactly help themselves with some of the odd marketing techniques they use. I've heard some folks even received tu tus or skirts or something as a free gift. Fine by me. Keeps their prices low and turns off everyone but watch geeks.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
I should add....they don't exactly help themselves with some of the odd marketing techniques they use. I've heard some folks even received tu tus or skirts or something as a free gift. Fine by me. Keeps their prices low and turns off everyone but watch geeks.
It's important to keep in mind that Orientwatchusa is NOT Orient Japan. They're a DISTRIBUTOR, and allowed to use whatever tricks are effective to get you to buy their watches.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
Personally I like the Orient logo, and the name, while carrying an unfortunate connotation because of all the cheap Chinese crap flooding the country, is also not a problem for me. Since they make a quality product for a fair price, I don't worry too much about superficial aspects.

And as Sean779 points out, the watch will be respected by those who know watches. If you avoid them because of the logo, you'll miss out on some great watches.
I think we both feel the same way...no matter the shortcomings of the logo/brand name, they're great value for the buck, and I want them to thrive. They have an important niche in horology, in-house affordable movements--it doesn't get better than that at their price level. Essentially (and legally) they're Seiko without the stigma of the commonness of Seiko.

I do think they're at least potentially handicapped by their very name "Orient," which to "Occidentals," is a word that is beyond not politically correct to say (it's like calling blacks ******, although it seems to be of more "politically correct" concern among Westerners than among Asians, who don't seem--and please correct me Asians out there if I'm wrong--terribly bothered by being referred to as being Orientals or from the Orient).

·
Registered
608 Posts
When I wear mine and someone asks what it is, I say "an Orient" and it's usually the beginning of a conversation. They're still fairly new in the US, so it's an opportunity to talk about an awesome brand with someone who isn't familiar with it yet. I started buying them as a recommendation from a friend. I had never heard of Orient before, but I'm thankful that someone took the time to introduce me to them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If I ever have the pleasure of having a conversation regarding my Orient watch, I would first say they are a wholly owned subsidiary of Seiko (something they can relate to), then say they are the largest mechanical watch maker in Japan.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
It is still common and acceptable to refer to tangible items as being of oriental design/origin. Oriental Rug for example. No one is taking offense to that.

When referring to people though it's either Asian or their specific nationality. Asian is safer though in most instances because a lot of people have a hard time differentiating one race from another if they do not live in an area where there is a large Asian community of varying nationalities.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.