WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the Tudor GMT but it’s big for my dainty wrist (especially the thickness)

Any reports or rumors of Tudor doing the 58 resize on the GMT?

thanks.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No.

Not unless they spend the money to engineer a smaller movement to fit the case which is unlikely.
Is that the main reason why Tudor GMT is so large? is the movement dictating the case size -- not they are seeking to find a "large watch" market? I mean Rolex can cram a real GMT into a 40mm slim case (and I recognize that there is a price difference for a reason -- kind of why I'm hoping for the Tudor smaller GMT)

·
Registered
579 Posts
I would say it's low likelihood as this might cannibalize the BB GMT. You don't see Rolex issuing different case size for their GMT.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I don’t think it’s too difficult to engineer. The Tudor GMT is a complication added on top of their MT 5412 (number correct?).

if you have ever had the chance to look at GMT movements it’s normally some extra gears that piggy back over the date function. Hence why the hour hand jumps and you can’t quick set the date. It’s also tricky to do well because the new motion works gears and springs can be touchy. Rolex even screwed up their 3186 when they first released it. There was a spring that would snap.

my opinion on why they won’t do it is because a BB GMT in smaller dimensions would threaten actual RolexGMT master II sales. People have complained that the Pepsi ceramic bezel just doesn’t look right and an aluminum bezel is more pleasing. Having a bicolored bezel is quite bold and having it in bright ceramic is even more so. The 16710 and 1675 are better looking watches than the 116710 and 126710 in two tone. There will be people who agree and disagree with me. But if we could imagine an aluminum bezel Pepsi in nice proportions I think it would be an absolute hit.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I expect that they will do it.... eventually... given the popularity of the 58. They will probably keep cranking out new versions of the regular 58 for the next few years and once sales start dropping release a GMT. I wouldn’t hold your breath though.

we know that Rolex/Tudor won’t adjust their production capacity due to market demand as they have no motivation being owned by a non profit. There is zero reason for them to engineer something different when current demand exceeds production.

Of course the P01 happened, so they can always surprise you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts