WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy to be joining the Shanghai 7120 club with this clean looking model. |>
It arrived a couple of weeks ago and is running reliably. Feels solid and winds well. A few minor scratches on the crystal which should come out - I hope. It's stamped with model/batch number 936 on the case-back, so I'm guessing it's from the late seventies - perhaps '79? The experts might know... ;-)
Verdict: I'm liking the 7120!

IMG_5599.jpg
IMG_5594.jpg
IMG_5597.jpg
IMG_5602.jpg

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,169 Posts
Welcome to the 7120 club.

The 7120 is one of the very best of what my brother calls a "watch watch"...just a regular, classic, dependable winder. There's nothing spectacular about them except their excellent reliability and the fact they have a straight up "in house" pedigree.

Big congrats!

(And from what I see, the crystal will clean up very nicely with a dab or two of Polywatch or something similar. I'm betting the crystal looks pretty much perfect right now to most eyes.)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ron! There's nothing like a dependable hard working 'watch watch' I reckon ;-)
By the way, I've been very inspired to collect a few more Shanghai's etc. since following your posts from China - what a brilliant journey. Thanks for all the great photo's and reporting. I for one really appreciated it!

·
Moderator: F72 and F71
8,169 Posts
By the way, I've been very inspired to collect a few more Shanghai's etc. since following your posts from China - what a brilliant journey. Thanks for all the great photo's and reporting. I for one really appreciated it!
太客气

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Congratulations! I'm not surprised you like it -- 7120s are great watches, and yours appears to be an excellent example. I think 936 would bring the caseback into the early 1980s. I have one with a similar dial, my first 100% VCM. The movement code dates it to 1979, but it doesn't have a number on the back. It has proved to be a very reliable watch.

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Congrats! :-!

Everyone needs a 7120:

Regards,

Martin
I often heard such words: everyone who loves watches needs a Rolex.:roll: A Shanghai 7120 sounds like a Chinese "Rolex". Another similar phrase is everyone who loves photography needs a Leica.:p

If Shanghai 7120's movement was inspired by one of Enicar's AR series, and Enicar was a competitor to Rolex and other Swiss brands, It has some truth in it.

Regards,

Soviet

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts