WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. O recently came across a watch and bought it for $2 at a thrift store. It is a vintage (looks 1930's-1940's ish) but I know it's more like 60's. Anyway, it's a manual wind (I'll get a pic tomorrow as it is 2:00AM here and I'm writing this from my bed on my iPod haha). I was just wondering if anyone here had heard of the brand and could provide any info on them. I know there's two "limit's" one is "limit of Switzerland" and the other is "limit international" or something like that. Mine runs on an FHF 69-21 that beats at the high rate (for the time) 21,600 BPH. It's very accurate and I love the sound of it lol. Anyway, any info on the brand would be great. Thanks!

Btw I looked them up and i see a new limit brand but I think they are a complete separate company than the one mine is. Mine being the "of Switzerland"

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Hi

Limit is a British company Limit Watches Limit Watches - Our history - still going. It changed its name from Limit of Switzerland to Limit International when it moved from having watches assembled in Switzerland and instead had them made in the Far East. Tons of them - old and new - around over here. It sounds like you got a bargain.:-!

Reactions: Champagne InHand

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where do you think this brand would fall (back in the 60s) in the watch industry? What companies should they be compared to? Bulova? Benrus? Tissot? Helbros?

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Well not Tissot - they were a premium brand back then - and the other 3 are US brands so I'm not sure. But I suppose, like Benrus and Helbros they used decent quality Swiss movements and aimed at the mass market. If I recall correctly, Limit were sold through catalogues (aka catalogs:roll:)as well as jewellery chains.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well not Tissot - they were a premium brand back then - and the other 3 are US brands so I'm not sure. But I suppose, like Benrus and Helbros they used decent quality Swiss movements and aimed at the mass market. If I recall correctly, Limit were sold through catalogues (aka catalogs:roll:)as well as jewellery chains.
Thanks for all the info! I hope it runs well. It has the FHF 6921 "high beat" (21,600 in the 60s) movement.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
---------- It has the FHF 6921 "high beat" (21,600 in the 60s) movement.
My apologies stratct! I've always referred to you in the masculine - I guess I just assumed wrong.

The 59 & 69 FHF's are some of my favorite movements for lady's watches!

p

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My apologies stratct! I've always referred to you in the masculine - I guess I just assumed wrong.

The 59 & 69 FHF's are some of my favorite movements for lady's watches!

p
lol I just picked this up for my girlfriend! Lol yes sir I'm a dude.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Hi

Limit is a British company Limit Watches Limit Watches - Our history - still going. It changed its name from Limit of Switzerland to Limit International when it moved from having watches assembled in Switzerland and instead had them made in the Far East. Tons of them - old and new - around over here. It sounds like you got a bargain.:-!
Coming late to this thread but wanted to correct one thing. The name change to international did not mean they stopped making them in Switzerland. I have a 1970's Limit International which is signed at the bottom of the dial. T Swiss Made T

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Coming late to this thread but wanted to correct one thing. The name change to international did not mean they stopped making them in Switzerland. I have a 1970's Limit International which is signed at the bottom of the dial. T Swiss Made T
Strange, there website states that from 1963 they manufactured in UK for 39 years, then moved to Far East (with limited production in UK?).

So by 1970 seems not Switzerland.
Can you explain?
Thanks
A

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,210 Posts
Strange, there website states that from 1963 they manufactured in UK for 39 years, then moved to Far East (with limited production in UK?).

So by 1970 seems not Switzerland.
Can you explain?
Thanks
A
I'd be curious to see a watch that was 'manufactured' in Britain any time after 1980.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I might be picking a Limit Switzerland from the U.K. It's a gents dress watch with an A. Schild 25j automatic movement. It's Swiss made as well. Or so says the dial.

It should be an interesting addition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I might be picking a Limit Switzerland from the U.K. It's a gents dress watch with an A. Schild 25j automatic movement. It's Swiss made as well. Or so says the dial.

It should be an interesting addition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Holy 3 year old thread

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
875 Posts
Zombie thread I know. But seeing many LIMIT and Bucheror as well as Tissot, Hami and Omegas pooping up from estate sales. Most have been over-polished or are in sad shape.

Perhaps it best to note the added $150US+ needed from a basic watch smith when investing in these vintage beauties will keep the drive-by flippers at bay.

I know the LIMIT and it's A.Schild movement will require a new mainspring, perhaps a new hairspring and cannon pinion as well as a crystal polish minimum which adds $150US+ to the purchase price.

I love vintage but many don't understand that a full movement tear down and proper lube-adjustment and some new parts go into wearing and owning these timeless beauties.

Serious factors to consider when new Presage pieces or slightly used can be had for $300US. One really needs to consider overall price.

When you factor in the Omega charges, if you don't have a resourceful and highly competent watch maker/smith your are looking at doubling your investment at minimum.

So flippers, be forewarned as you you may be investing in a money pit if you don't intend to service these or give them proper wrist time. Unless you are using an AD Swatch group smith or an older smith with resources, it can be a long haul, filled with peril.

Still if you understand this and are willing to double your investment to wear the watch, it may be worth your while.

I know Long termes understand the double edged sword. Flippers are better off with pre-ordered micro-brands as parts can be hard to come by.

I happen to have an 80 year old smith, whom I'm like a son to. I've sold him and his son Genuine post 1995 Omegas. I'm 2nd family. I speak. A touch of Italian, watch the fútbol matches with them and it's not pressing of time to have them scour for parts, if they don't have them available.

It is quite wonderful to grab hold of an under appreciated beauty and see it through the process. It's definitely not for beginners, DIYers or those intent on making a few bucks short term.

I'm thrilled to get this into the vintage collection, but it going to cost me as much as any homage or newer Seiko/Citizen or European equivalent.

It's much more about my age and the time tested style.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts