WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Limited Edition: What is the NEXT most collectible model No. ?

• Is it any of the First 10? 2,3,4...10?

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Is it the Last 10? x91...x97, x98, x99?

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Is it the Ton's? 100, 200, 300 etc?

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Is it the Triples? 111, 222, 333 etc?

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Is it the Clevers? Keypad code for GMT = 468 etc?

• Is it the Related? Model No = 033, movement No = 726 etc?

• It is something else? (please explain)

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to participate in a Limited Edition watch run and I'm hoping the illustrious members of this community could enlighten me please. Actually I'd simply be interested in anyone's reason for their choice/response so please feel free to post an explain of your decision in the thread after participating in the poll.

Scenario:
There is a Limited Edition (individually numbered) watch available however the very first and the very last watches are already taken so what then becomes the next most collectible/desirable edition number?

Is it any of the First 10? 2,3,4...10?
Is it the Last 10? x91...x97, x98, x99?
Is it the Ton's? 100, 200, 300 etc?
Is it the Triples? 111, 222, 333 etc?
Is it the Clevers? Keypad code for GMT = 468 etc?
Is it the Related? Model No = 033, movement No = 726 etc?
It is something else? (please explain)

Looking forward to swimming in your infinite wisdom.

B

·
0 Posts
IMHO, none.

Unless it is a watch made by a handful of the best houses in the world and/or it is a watch where less than 100 are made it wont matter.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Its been my experiance that the first and last of a production run are the only real significant numbers and as previously stated only with some of the finest producers in the market IE: Audemars,Vacheron,Patek etc.

Any other number would only hold significance to the buyer and not neccesarily the market in general.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I normally wouldn't care, but if I had to pick, I would choose no. 1 or 69.

·
Registered
521 Posts
88 might fetch a good resale in Hong Kong. Otherwise, I don't see who would care after the single digits.

·
Registered
326 Posts
When I got my Benarus Moray I didn't care at all what number I received. I didn't buy it to sell it so I'm just gonna enjoy the watch while knowing only 49 other poeple in the world have the same watch as me :)

·
Registered
676 Posts
No1 in my opinion because you should be the first on the list to get it ;-)
No1 will most likely be retained by the manufacturer.

For me? Frankly, my dear....

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Its been my experiance that the first and last of a production run are the only real significant numbers and as previously stated only with some of the finest producers in the market IE: Audemars,Vacheron,Patek etc.

Any other number would only hold significance to the buyer and not neccesarily the market in general.
Exactly.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
*Echo Alert*
It generally doesnt matter unless the watch has some significance and is from a very prestigious maker.

More importantly, would be which numbers you should avoid, i.e. 13. I would guess there are a lot more people who might avoid a certain sale because of a specific number than buyers who would only buy a particular number.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
69 for me please.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Althou I don't agree on this but there seems to be way too much 007s out there compared to other numbers in WISdom :)
If this was an Omega Limited Edition Bond watch release of 999 models then #007 may even rate higher than the #001 or #999.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,056 Posts
I have the opportunity to participate in a Limited Edition watch run and I'm hoping the illustrious members of this community could enlighten me please. Actually I'd simply be interested in anyone's reason for their choice/response so please feel free to post an explain of your decision in the thread after participating in the poll.

Scenario:
There is a Limited Edition (individually numbered) watch available however the very first and the very last watches are already taken so what then becomes the next most collectible/desirable edition number?

Is it any of the First 10? 2,3,4...10?
Is it the Last 10? x91...x97, x98, x99?
Is it the Ton's? 100, 200, 300 etc?
Is it the Triples? 111, 222, 333 etc?
Is it the Clevers? Keypad code for GMT = 468 etc?
Is it the Related? Model No = 033, movement No = 726 etc?
It is something else? (please explain)

Looking forward to swimming in your infinite wisdom.
I am at a complete loss as to why a watch should become valuable or collectible simply because the seller calls it a limited edition and possibly stamps some numbers on it or does something else to create the illusion of rarity. Regarding whether some number has special qualities over another you might want to consult a numerologist. It would only make sense that the first numbered watch in a series has equal value to the last one and every one in-between. How could it be anything else?

Watch value should be based on its features and design and not the sellers desire to inflate the price.

·
Registered
145 Posts
As mentioned, it ultimately doesn't matter unless you are talking a very limited run of high end watches. Even then it is more personal preference.

Some numbers may have more importance in certain cultures (like an '8') so those might be more valuable if you were trying to sell into those markets. Then there are numbers like 7 and 11 that might be more important to a gambler.

That all being said, if it truly is a limited run of a highly prized watch, any number will make a WIS happy! A number that actually means something? That is just a bonus!

Jeff

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am at a complete loss as to why a watch should become valuable or collectible simply because the seller calls it a limited edition and possibly stamps some numbers on it or does something else to create the illusion of rarity. Regarding whether some number has special qualities over another you might want to consult a numerologist. It would only make sense that the first numbered watch in a series has equal value to the last one and every one in-between. How could it be anything else?

Watch value should be based on its features and design and not the sellers desire to inflate the price.
Like all markets perceived value is dependant on supply and demand.
Short supply and high demand increases the value of an article irrespective of cost of production...you can look at any commodity for an example of this.
Based on this principle a Limited Edition watch (with a significant difference to its standard production model), given that there is a high demand for it (for whatever reasons, features, construction, design or otherwise) probably will increase in value because of short supply and high demand. Why else do you get vintage watches exceeding their original retail value? Supply and Demand surely.

That potentially some of a limited editions models are more collectible than others is the question this poll is asking...and if this is so...what are the key elements to identifying these rarer of the rare?

Your comment "Watch value should be based on its features and design and not the sellers desire to inflate the price" while I agree with you, does not exist or apply in the watch market.
Brand names are a reflection of this. Is a Cartier Santos Stainless Steel Quartz really worth the $$ based on your statement?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts