WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have strayed here from f10 as I would like to find out all I can about a friends Lonex heirloom.
I have searched older threads here for information and generally on google. All I can find out about Lonex is that they were a brand name registered by Rolex along with many others.
Here is the watch in question...
lonex.jpg
As I understand Rolex started no earlier than 1920, I'm surprised this style of pocket watch does not pre-date that.
The only movement marks I can see are on the Crown Wheel and Ratchet Wheel. "Swiss Made" "Lonex 15 Jewels"
The case is gold filled - the watch all looks in good shape and well made.
Any help would be appreciated, especially about the movement as the main spring is broken and will need replacing.
Cordially,
Worzel

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Thanks Pithy - a great start.
If you can obtain the internal dimension of the mainspring barrel and the diameter of the mainspring arbor I can calculate an optimal size for the spring.

Catalog recommendations in millimeters below. Note: 476/477 are a little larger movements.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Hi Worzel,

it is near impossible to distinguish between the 18''' and 19''' variant after a photo. So you should take the casing diameter to identify your movement. The smaller variant (Dm= 40.2mm) has a smaller barrel and needs the spring Zf3495, 2.00 x 16.0 x 0.20 x 460mm

Regards, Roland Ranfft

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Worzel,

it is near impossible to distinguish between the 18''' and 19''' variant after a photo. So you should take the casing diameter to identify your movement. The smaller variant (Dm= 40.2mm) has a smaller barrel and needs the spring Zf3495, 2.00 x 16.0 x 0.20 x 460mm

Regards, Roland Ranfft
Roland,
Thank you for taking the time to answer - it is 40.2mm and I will pass this information on to the watchmaker.
On your excellent web site you mention 1915 in relation to this movement, but of course it could have been made for many years. I am trying to tie the watch to the Rolex "family" or discount that theory. 1915 is before the Rolex formation, but I read that they did use Cotebert movements early on. I can find no other references to the Lomex name.
Do you have an opinion?
Alan

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
Roland,
Thank you for taking the time to answer - it is 40.2mm and I will pass this information on to the watchmaker.
On your excellent web site you mention 1915 in relation to this movement, but of course it could have been made for many years. I am trying to tie the watch to the Rolex "family" or discount that theory. 1915 is before the Rolex formation, but I read that they did use Cotebert movements early on. I can find no other references to the Lomex name.
Do you have an opinion?
Alan
From mikrolisk.de . There does appear to be a Rolex connection.

Word trade mark
Manufacturer
Location and details
Lonex
Hans Wilsdorf / Rolex WatchCo.
Uhren, Uhrenteile; Biel, Schweiz; registriert am 24.9.1920

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From mikrolisk.de . There does appear to be a Rolex connection.

Word trade markManufacturerLocation and details
LonexHans Wilsdorf / Rolex WatchCo.Uhren, Uhrenteile; Biel, Schweiz; registriert am 24.9.1920
Thank's Dan, I just wonder if Rolex picked up an abandond name and this Lonex was pre-1920.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
18,012 Posts
Roland,
Be very careful! Old pocket watch movements had a hidden "lip" that could only be seen from the dial side so if you measure the back and find it to be 40.2mm, once you take out the entire movement, it might actually be 43mm! The same with my Zenith Cal. 19''' N.V.S.I - 40.5mm from the back, 43.15mmm when you take it out.....

The bottom line: have the watchmaker measure the movement first, then order the parts.

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Be very careful! Old pocket watch movements had a hidden "lip" that could only be seen from the dial side so if you measure the back and find it to be 40.2mm, once you take out the entire movement, it might actually be 43mm! The same with my Zenith Cal. 19''' N.V.S.I - 40.5mm from the back, 43.15mmm when you take it out.....

The bottom line: have the watchmaker measure the movement first, then order the parts.

Hartmut Richter
Noted, thank you Hartmut.
I have unearthed at lot more about my friends watch than I expected and I thank all who have helped.
I shall retreat to f10 and my simple Soviet Type-1 watches, which I'm sure you will all think of as crude and agricultural.

Cordially,
Alan (Worzel)

abb.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts