WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Long 8slan watches put up a YouTube video today announcing the islander line 9f watches which are essentially skx's with marine master dials, nh36 movement, sapphire and oyster bracelet, drilled lugs. This is great in theory until we talk about price. He mentions the watches will most likely be around $290 to $300. This sounds like a great deal until you come across the himdaller/Sharkey/San Martin skx homage. Which has sapphire, nh36, drilled lugs, oyster and a selection of dials, including one that looks like the marine master. The difference is that one can be had for $150. I wish Mark all the best, but I'm not sure the islander is worth twice the price. Interested in everyone's thoughts.

https://youtu.be/qsCpvbw9L4U

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
334 Posts
You might get more responses in the thread already made about it.

$300 seems like a good value for buying it from a US retailer... You’re getting real customer service with that extra cost. The watches you mention for $150 are buying direct from a China distributor.

A noticeable difference that I saw was the ceramic bezel and possibly a better bracelet. 42mm and 38mm size coming soon... option of a minute or 12 hour bezel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

$300 seems like a good value for buying it from a US retailer... You’re getting real customer service with that extra cost. The watches you mention for $150 are buying direct from a China distributor.

A noticeable difference that I saw was the ceramic bezel and possibly a better bracelet. 42mm and 38mm size coming soon... option of a minute or 12 hour bezel.

Good points. Everyone has different priorities I guess, but I'm still not sure those things justify twice the price. $50-$75 more I could totally understand. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that he's getting his parts from China or having the manufacturing and assembly done there. I will probably end up with both, but it's just interesting to think about the economics of it all.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yes, all that must be true or he would be losing money in each watch. All micro brands are generally doing the same. Again it just depends what you want for the money. it’s already a cheap watch, I’d also be inclined to just go with the $150 myself and save the money. But I’d do more comparisons with materials used. He guarantees his watch is also compatible with skx parts/mods. I myself like the old MM look and turtles.

Here’s my experience of buying a watch direct from a Chinese seller. I own a San Martin bronze field/aviator 38mm that I paid about $170 for on eBay. It’s a great basic watch and was exactly what I wanted. One problem is the dial is slightly off centered. I didn’t even want to go with the hassle of a return, the sellers english was so bad it was a chore to communicate. I knew with this specific dial.. it was hard to spot, but i could see it when it was on a certain strap with a center line. If it was from an US authorized seller, I could probably easily contact them and do a swap. That’s just an example. QC issues can happen with any brand.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Marc is bringing out the Islander when Seiko announced the SKX will be discontinued. Of course, Seiko is launching a new Seiko 5 with several iterations. However, I am not toally sold on the idea of not a screw down crown, WR is now 100m and not ISO certified. For my money, I would go with the Islander. I have dealt with Marc in the past on several in my collection, and he's a fantastic guy do deal with. Bottom line is, the Islander has all the features that the SKX should've had.

IMHO, Marc is bringing a model that will appeal to any WIS, and it will be a big hit for LIW. I wish him nothing but the best in this endeavor.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Marc is bringing out the Islander when Seiko announced the SKX will be discontinued. Of course, Seiko is launching a new Seiko 5 with several iterations. However, I am not toally sold on the idea of not a screw down crown, WR is now 100m and not ISO certified. For my money, I would go with the Islander. I have dealt with Marc in the past on several in my collection, and he's a fantastic guy do deal with. Bottom line is, the Islander has all the features that the SKX should've had.

IMHO, Marc is bringing a model that will appeal to any WIS, and it will be a big hit for LIW. I wish him nothing but the best in this endeavor.
I agree with this. Marc is a stand up guy, and he has made some videos that helped me out when I started modding. If you had any sort of problem with one of his islanders, I guarantee he would take care of it quickly and without question. The same can't be said for the other retailers.

Not saying I wouldn't buy a sharkey, just saying that I will bet the CS from Marc will be his usually top shelf. Great guy, and I still think the watch is a great value. I am also willing to bet his QC will be better.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
596 Posts
I received a Heimdallr sharky today from China. So far it seems like a pretty solid watch. From the video, the bracelet from LI looks to be better quality. Although the sharkys’ is light and comfortable.
All of that being said, I would pay more, not double mind you, to deal with Mark and the guys at LI.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
My experiences with LIW have been very good and I don't have a problem with paying a little more to be sure that if there is a problem it will be taken care of. The one issue I had with a purchase from them was resolved very quickly. As for the watch itself? I haven't been a real fan of the SKX overall (looks) but the quality seems good for the parts in use and I would bet that these will be good sellers and rarely will anyone be disappointed. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

Sorry, but do you mean 38mm case size coming soon??
As in replacment for the SKX013???

Watched the vid but didn't see that mentioned.
An updated SKX013 with sapphire, 4rXX movment would defenatly peak my interest....

·
Registered
334 Posts
Sorry, but do you mean 38mm case size coming soon??
As in replacment for the SKX013???

Watched the vid but didn't see that mentioned.
An updated SKX013 with sapphire, 4rXX movment would defenatly peak my interest....
Yes, he said this yesterday on a video. Here is the video for you - https://youtu.be/YbanZVxCvX8

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Will the Sharkey's accept all SKX mod parts? Marc says his Islander will. That opens quite a world of mod possibilities... or leaves it open, maybe.

·
Registered
940 Posts
If anyone is thinking about getting an SKX style timepiece, check out Deep Bue Nato Diver. This no replica, homage, or anything you want to call it. The Nato Diver has a bigger case diameter, no SKX parts will fit will fit as well. I bought two when Stan introduced it to F71. There is also a very lengthy thread regarding the Nato Diver here, but I am unable to do a search.

This is a picture of my Nato Diver in all black...

·
Registered
915 Posts
I already have a 007, a 009, and a 777 Turtle so I'm not inclined to get the LIW version simply because I don't have a need... but I bet Marc checks chapter ring alignment on his version.

Like others have said, when it comes to buying the seller, I think Marc is a solid bet. He wouldn't be releasing a product if there was any chance of it tarnishing his reputation. Already having a successful business with an established name, he has a lot more on the line than most Micros, especially the Chinese brands and Kickstarters who can fade into obscurity and resurface under a different name every couple of years.

When predicting the quality you expect something to be, I find that it helps to consider the negative impact of a bad release on a company. A company that can walk away unscathed will let their QC and after sales support drop as Seiko has over the years. A company that lives and dies on maintaining an impeccable standard cannot afford sloppy QC, and therefore probably won't ever tolerate sloppy QC.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
Looks good. Also, nice to see that WUS has become more open / welcoming towards homages. If Marc can do the skx at this price, for less, and with actual good QC (alignment etc.), then he deserves success.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts