WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

101 - 120 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
I got mine today and before you mention the mismatch of the bezel and the dial I did not notice. Now I see it all the time. You ruin my joy...Before I loved this watch, now I just like them.
It's not supposed to match...in the video above he clearly states it's a dark blue dial with a Pepsi bezel. He also mentions the original Seiko Pepsi's dial being an almost black shade of blue...that didn't match either. Enjoy your watch, it looks the way it should.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Glad Marc is having success with these. Price is about right for me, but I can't stand mirror polish chapter rings that reflect the indicies. I also wish he would make one with tritium instead of Lume.

I am still waiting for the day a company can make a decent Bau-style watch with sapphire and tritium.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think his target market is one of the following:

1) People who would buy an SKX and mod it out.

2) People who wanted an SKX but buy an Islander watch now that the SKX is discontinued (harder to get, prices increased).

3) People who want an affordable watch with all the commonly desired upgrades.

Honestly I love my SKX013 and Seiko as a whole. But the lack of hand-winding and hacking bugs me. The Islander is a nice alternative, especially in the 38mm size, with all the upgrades you really could need or want. I buy watches to wear them and use them, not as an investment. Having a sapphire crystal and ceramic bezel is a nice added bonus for durability during everyday wear.
I think this is really where it is for me, I've taken plenty of SKX that I got for around $150 and dropped another $300 or so in mod parts into it (not counting shipping or tools, buying cheap ones at first, and then better ones later). Also this is for doing the work yourself; you can get pre-built from places like Artifice Horoworks or get guys like Duarte at NEWW to do the labor for you at a fair price. This seems to ship with most of those basic things that people want already done, at a fair price; especially for those that don't want to do the mods themselves.

As an aside: I've often thought, at this level of modding why am I even buying the base watch? The only thing that I've kept are the case and caseback. Were I to start modding again I'd probably start with a Crystal Times replacement case.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Sold my SKX013 and I’ve been patiently awaiting the updated IL05 to arrive with screwed links and signed crown. I spoke with Marc in January and he thought it would be in stock by March or April. Guess this virus thing has delayed that. Kept my Strapcode bracelet for use on the Islander. Haven’t bought a watch yet in 2020 and the wait is killing me.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Since I just bought the 04 (black dial with silverish grey embossed bezel), I'm not running out to buy the one you have.
But it MIGHT just hit my sweet spot too. I'd appreciate more pictures, if you'd oblige, so I can more clearly see the shade of blue.
I like a lighter/sunburst cobalt/royal blue. Sometimes a dark navy blue will look black. Navy with a sunburst I'm NOT familiar with.
Thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
Well, these aren't great pics by any means but you can see it in a variety of lighting. It doesn't really ever look purplish or black in person though, it's a very true blue even though it's dark.

View attachment 15097481
View attachment 15097483
Didn't think I was going to buy one until I saw this one released. As a man who loves the aesthetics of the Yachtmaster, but more than likely will never be able to own one. I have always preferred the rhodium dial, but this blue looks incredible.

101 - 120 of 166 Posts