WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

121 - 140 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Who's got their new 38mms in the mail?
I ordered the ISL-05. Have a Strapcode bracelet ready to slap on it when it arrives. I contemplated the green model, but I already have a green diver (Certina DS Action Precidrive) and it ultimately sold out right away.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
glad to have another source for modding. Enjoying my loxa marmon? Lo Mo Maxine?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Finally joined the Islander club. I had broke down at the beginning of 2019 and bought myself an SKX013 a few months before the Islanders were announced and the SKX line was confirmed to be discontinued. Once I saw the Islander ISL-05 I knew it would be mine. For $300 USD a fully upgraded SKX013 with lumed ceramic insert, sapphire glass with inner AR coating, NH36 with hacking/hand winding movement, signed crown, drilled lugs, excellent lume and a screw pin solid end link jubilee style bracelet.

So my SKX013 was flipped on EBay a few months back. I kept the Strapcode oyster bracelet I had for my SKX013 to use on my Islander, and patiently awaited for the updated ISL-05 version with screw pins in the bracelet and the signed crown. I was intending to swap the bracelet out and throw the Strapcode oyster on the Islander. When I got it I couldn’t believe the taper on the bracelet. I didn’t measure it but I think it goes from 20 mm at the end links to about 16mm at the clasp. I thought it would make it look like a dress watch. The clasp was so narrow. So on went the Strapcode which I believe tapers from 20mm to about an 18mm clasp. After a day I tried the stock bracelet. It’s so comfortable and I actually really like the polished middle links on the jubilee bracelet (which I always hated in photos). The taper is really nice too. I think my example has been running great out of the box, only a few seconds fast per day.

Marc, you have hit this one out of the park. Absolutely love it. It’s watches like this that reinforce my lack of desire to spend the funds on a luxury piece. What more could you ask for in a watch? Zero regrets flipping my SKX013 (except maybe not including the Strapcode oyster in the sale). 6.5” wrist for reference in the photos.

21DAE2D8-44DF-4EA6-90D9-B310F6771894.jpeg

7DB53380-F820-491D-8D5E-F6F64D41083E.jpeg

E7218EE4-8627-4DCE-8E3F-C134D7C701B2.jpeg

A8037B6A-2003-4D89-9D18-B6ABAF0DD52C.jpeg

·
Registered
105 Posts
Finally joined the Islander club. I had broke down at the beginning of 2019 and bought myself an SKX013 a few months before the Islanders were announced and the SKX line was confirmed to be discontinued. Once I saw the Islander ISL-05 I knew it would be mine. For $300 USD a fully upgraded SKX013 with lumed ceramic insert, sapphire glass with inner AR coating, NH36 with hacking/hand winding movement, signed crown, drilled lugs, excellent lume and a screw pin solid end link jubilee style bracelet.

So my SKX013 was flipped on EBay a few months back. I kept the Strapcode oyster bracelet I had for my SKX013 to use on my Islander, and patiently awaited for the updated ISL-05 version with screw pins in the bracelet and the signed crown. I was intending to swap the bracelet out and throw the Strapcode oyster on the Islander. When I got it I couldn’t believe the taper on the bracelet. I didn’t measure it but I think it goes from 20 mm at the end links to about 16mm at the clasp. I thought it would make it look like a dress watch. The clasp was so narrow. So on went the Strapcode which I believe tapers from 20mm to about an 18mm clasp. After a day I tried the stock bracelet. It’s so comfortable and I actually really like the polished middle links on the jubilee bracelet (which I always hated in photos). The taper is really nice too. I think my example has been running great out of the box, only a few seconds fast per day.

Marc, you have hit this one out of the park. Absolutely love it. It’s watches like this that reinforce my lack of desire to spend the funds on a luxury piece. What more could you ask for in a watch? Zero regrets flipping my SKX013 (except maybe not including the Strapcode oyster in the sale). 6.5” wrist for reference in the photos.

View attachment 15174593

View attachment 15174595

View attachment 15174599

View attachment 15174603
That does look sweet! That's good value for $300 when compared to the SKX.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
I received the 38mm Yellow dial yesterday & was completely DISAPPOINTED!
Looking at the pics on the website I expected a vivid Yellow dial & what arrived looks NOTHING like the pics,washed out & very Gold looking...The search for a yellow diver continues..1st.pic from Island Watch site,the other 2 are what I got...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Looks close enough to me. Just a lighting difference between the photos. Did you watch any of the YouTube videos showing the yellow 43mm and 38mm models prior to ordering?

I think you’re being a bit dramatic. “Looks NOTHING like the pics”??? REALLY??? They both have a yellow dial. Return it if you don’t like it. Better make sure to buy your yellow diver in person so you get the “correct shade” of yellow.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Looking at the pics on the website I expected a vivid Yellow dial & what arrived looks NOTHING like the pics,washed out & very Gold looking...The search for a yellow diver continues..1st.pic from Island Watch site,the other 2 are what I got...
The lighting is completely different and yet it looks exactly the same shade of yellow I would have expected based on the LIW photo.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Interesting. I'm sorry to hear that. I don't have any of the Islanders, but I had a very similar experience when I picked up a yellow Orient Mako years ago. I was really looking forward to it, but the dial was not the yellow I was expecting (and as shown in most photos), and instead had a very metallic, gold-like cast to it. I love yellow dials, but gold... no thanks. I wound up selling it and getting an SKXA35, which was exactly the (matte) yellow I was looking for.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Have you looked at the Scurfa Diver 1's? There's a very handsome yellow dial with stainless bezel or a black PVD cased model. Only downside is quartz...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

121 - 140 of 166 Posts