WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

141 - 160 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ve got an isl-05 in the mail, ordered with the intention of swapping in a dial from the original SKx013 as I’m not a fan of the islander logo on the dial. But if the lume on the islander dial is much better (longer duration) than the original SKx013, I could learn to like it more. Anybody have any comments on original dial lume vs the new 38mm islanders?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I’ve got an isl-05 in the mail, ordered with the intention of swapping in a dial from the original SKx013 as I’m not a fan of the islander logo on the dial. But if the lume on the islander dial is much better (longer duration) than the original SKx013, I could learn to like it more. Anybody have any comments on original dial lume vs the new 38mm islanders?
I own the ISL-05 and sold my SKX013 a few month back (before I got the Islander). So just comparing from memory. I’d give a slight edge to the dial markers on the SKX013 for being brighter and longer lasting. Hands are about equal. That said the Islander ISL-05 still has great responsive and long lasting lume. The difference between them would hardly be noticeable. Personally I’d take the Islander any day over the SKX. It’s a better watch and better value overall.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the response on the lume. Definitely agree about the value of the islander 38mm over the SKx013, that’s why I’ve got the isl-05 in the mail. You’d have to spend at least $150 usd plus shipping for the nh36, lumed bezel, and sapphire crystal on top of the original SKx013 purchase and still have a bit of work to do once all was delivered.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hmm.. I do really like the look of the original SKx013 dial. But now that I have the isl-05 on my wrist, the applied indices in daylight and the quality of the lume is starting to grow on me. Will probably only eventually swap out the crown for an S engraved one from Seiko parts.wordpress, too bad it’s not lumed too.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
New islanders dropped today:
Just watched this last night. Damn. Had previously sworn off lume dials. But that one is a stunner... or would be with a bezel insert swap. The blue one looks fantatic, too. Man, he keeps hitting them out of the park with his new brand.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Just watched this last night. Damn. Had previously sworn off lume dials. But that one is a stunner... or would be with a bezel insert swap. The blue one looks fantatic, too. Man, he keeps hitting them out of the park with his new brand.
I agree with you on the blue one. It looks fantastic but I don't care for the case. If he put some of these designs, this blue one and the blue yachtmaster style SKX, in a 40mm case he could take my money. I realize why he did this as the SKX mod parts are interchangeable but I can't comfortably wear something that big. I have an SKX009 and I can and do wear it. But, it's a chunky, top heavy watch when I compare it to my 39mm, 40mm and 41mm watches. It just doesn't wear as well for me personally. YMMV

He will still sell a ton of them and he has more planned so who knows. We might eventually see a 40mm "Goldilocks" case at some point. I'm not holding my breath though.

141 - 160 of 166 Posts