WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

This introduction is long overdue. I haven't belonged to a forum since the days of AOL, so forgive my poor manners. I love this place because it's free of politics and snark, and I'm amazed at the breadth of knowledge here. I inherited a 1957 Rolex Oyster Perpetual 6532 from my father many years ago, and the sentimental value satisfied my horological interest -- until now. Unfortunately, I tend to be OCD and what started as research for my wife's birthday gift has become too obsessive too quickly. It started with Swiss, then micro brands, and then ... thank the lord ... Vostok.

In an attempt to keep this from spiraling out of control, I have decided to focus on Vostok and vintage Timex for now, and spend time learning about watch making. I am getting rid of most of my watches, which will help justify the purchase of my grail (Zenith El Primero) for my next birthday. Well, that's the plan, anyway ... I find having watches makes you lust for more, and I need to nip this in the bud, so away they go... probably...

Btw, I'm a media executive in Los Angeles for a giant corporate entertainment company, and it's dull, and I pretty much work all the time. Otherwise, I'm with my kids doing terrifying and exhausting outdoor activities. Thank you all for being so welcoming and gracious, especially the folks in the WRUW thread who have to look at my Vostoks three times a week.

All best,
David a/k/a Vioviv

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ah, I'm first somewhere: Welcome! I am not sure if you posted a picture of your fathers OP allready but don't you think it deserves a place in this thread? Enjoy your stay!

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Enjoy the forums.

Reactions: Vioviv

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Welcome David.
Nothing beats dullness and monotony of a work day, like a nice watch with some color in it.
My workday often involves 288,000 ticks of a second hand, beating at 36,000 beats per hour
IMG_5422.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Welcome. I like your plan to focus on a couple of makers and vintage pieces and avoid the craziness. I suspect it will really make you appreciate the El Primero when your birthday rolls around.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EnderW -- that's the one! The grail! Someday I look forward to posting mine in WRUW.
Thanks for the response and great pic!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Welcome! I admire your strategy of approach on this, well done, I should have been so wise.

And, your grail desire is nothing short of spectacular. |>|>|>

I LOVE that watch! To me it's a great example of something more than worth paying more for. Simply gorgeous. I'd be so privileged to be in the club of ownership on that beauty one day.

Enjoy being here, and enjoy your watches!

Reactions: Vioviv

·
Registered
Watch Dial Printing
1,353 Posts
Hi Vioviv

Welcome and with 128 posts I'd say you are making up for lost time.

El Primiero Nice watch
Fathers OP Also very classic.

I just chimed in to suggest you be careful with Vostoks.

If you go over to f10 you will find they have the breeding capacity of rabbits so I would encourage you not to store them together for fear of creating more.

Good luck on your quest.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Vioviv

Welcome and with 128 posts I'd say you are making up for lost time.

El Primiero Nice watch
Fathers OP Also very classic.

I just chimed in to suggest you be careful with Vostoks.

If you go over to f10 you will find they have the breeding capacity of rabbits so I would encourage you not to store them together for fear of creating more.

Good luck on your quest.
Ha, so true! It's an addiction! I'm fascinated by watch making, and although modding is relatively easy, I followed a tutorial on fixing stuck reverse wheels and a disengaged stem on a Vostok 2416b automatic movement. I mean, I wouldn't try to take links off an Omega bracelet w/out professional help, but operating on a Vostok is like playing Operation. Thanks for the reply!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts