WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently received a Seiko Samurai (great value) and the lume is bright if charged. But an hour after it's barely noticeable and at 2 hours it's completely dark. I still love my samurai -- so much that I bought it in blue too :-!

Other than tritium (TSAR is at the top of my list right now), are there any watches with lume that will last the night?

I've come across the Ocean 7 LM-4 Shadow and it's lume seems to be a bit less bright overall but much longer lasting. Is this the ticket?

Thanks!

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
Ocean 7 offers one of the best lume out there, but it really depends on what you're willing to pay. UTS has awesome lume. Omega provides some great lume in their Seamaster line. Seiko is considered to be among the top, but I, like you, have found that the lower-end lines fade quickly. On the other side of that, I've read that the MarineMaster and Tuna divers have long lasting quality lume. Go to the dive watch forum here and do a search for lume... there'll be so many options you won't know what to do with them!

·
Registered
81 Posts
If a long lasting lume is what's important to you then have you considered a tritium "lume" watch? Lasts 10-20 years from what I hear. I have two and they are fantastic during the night. Need no charging and are very easy to read. I would recommend a Traser. :-!

Cheers!

·
Registered
349 Posts
If a long lasting lume is what's important to you then have you considered a tritium "lume" watch? Lasts 10-20 years from what I hear. I have two and they are fantastic during the night. Need no charging and are very easy to read. I would recommend a Traser. :-!

Cheers!
traser is a pretty good option, i have been impressed with mine... but if you're really looking for brightness and a very high quality timepiece i suggest you go look at some ball watches ;-)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Seiko Monster is lasting all night. I mean if you wake up and there is dark in the room you can read the time without a problem. Sure thing it won't glow for long time like after you expose it to lamp but it keeps decent glow.

·
G-Shock Mod
14,271 Posts
beware of your expectation of how long should lume stay bright.

lume like SL needs charging and the lume will glow for up to 7 (or even 8) hours

but the "tail curve of brightness" of the lume is dim and you will need your eyes to be dark adjusted to be able to see them.

our eyes are amazing optical instrument that it can pick up dim light in the dark.

one experiment to try is to wear the watch to sleep, and wake up in early am to see if you can still read the time. i have tried to do this with numerous watches that they pass with flying colors. To name a few (in no particular order):
  • Omega SMP GMT
  • Omega PO
  • Seiko Monster
  • Seiko Marinemaster auto SBX001
  • Seiko 300m Tuna
  • Seiko Landmaster auto
  • Seiko Landmaster Kinetic
  • Marathon SAR
  • Sinn U1
  • etc ...

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
from my personal experience, all the watches below ( in no particular order of brightness) have lume that lasts throughout the night if you charge for a couple minutes:

seiko marinemaster 300M
omega seamaster bond coaxial
omega PO
stowa airman

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Good lume isn't limited to any one brand. The brightest lume is Seiko Lumibrite and Superluminova C3. They are approximately the same brightness, and how bright the actual watch dial and hands are depends on how thick the paint is applied. Among watches I've owned, here are some with the best lume:

Orient Star 300M saturation diver
DOXA 5000T
Kenz0 Nautilus

Keep in mind just because a watch claims C3 SL does not mean it will glow brightly.

The Samurai has very good lume. I think if you give it a good charge with a UV flashlight, you will find it is readable all night. This assumes that after two hours, you will have dark adjusted eyes (like in the middle of the night).

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
The only watches I have that are still glowing after 6 to 8 hours are the Seiko monsters and a few others that I lumed with noctilumina.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Look at some of the Lum-Tec watches from Chris. He knows his Lume!

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Any of the Seikos really with the yellowish lume (monster, sawtooth, sumo, etc). They have the best lume for the least price I think.

I'm not surprised the Samurai doesn't have great lume, it has a very small area on each marker for lume to cover. I dont like it for that reason.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Tritium will last longer than SuperLuminova, but Tritium has a half life of only 12.3 yrs, so in 12 yrs time, expect it to be rubbish. I only have one Tritium lumed watch and its almost 12 yrs old (1997). As such the lume is next to useless on it. In the case of SL, it also depends on how much is actually used. For example the hands on a Omega SeaMaster 2254 have much more SL applied due to their wider size than a Speedmaster 3570 say. As such, they'll appear to be much brighter when in fact they are glowing at the same instensity and for the same duration, because its the same material. Have a look over on the Breitling forum where there is a good article about SuperLuminova.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Tritium will last longer than SuperLuminova, but Tritium has a half life of only 12.3 yrs, so in 12 yrs time, expect it to be rubbish.
Interesting you should say this. I have a triple-date chronograph I purchased in 1974. All these years I thought the lume wasn't all that great considering it was never that bright when it was new. When I was younger I thought charging it under the light would help but it never did. I found that the dial was marked T Swiss T. Well, to make a long story short, part of the lume broke off a hand and it was sitting in my watch box. In the dark I noticed some green light from the triple-date watch. I looked close and sure enough the lume is still working after 34 years. This is without any sealed tubes.

·
G-Shock Mod
14,271 Posts
ok, tritium's half life is about 12yr and some change. that means the "brightness" (i.e. radioactivity) is half of the original. and it will reduct to half of that in another 12 yr and change.

so the tritum won't just "shut off" in 12 yr or so

and if is tritium gas tube, then the tritium won't go anywhere or won't be affacted by what's happening outside of the tube

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
ok, tritium's half life is about 12yr and some change. that means the "brightness" (i.e. radioactivity) is half of the original. and it will reduct to half of that in another 12 yr and change.

so the tritum won't just "shut off" in 12 yr or so
True, but a 50% reduction is pretty significant.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts