WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am mulling a "G" and am wondering a bit about the longevity issue. Do these things last more than 10 years or so? Does anybody have a watch that still hums along after a long time in use?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I have several that are over 15 yrs old. One I'm particular I wore nearly every day for about 10 yrs. I had to replace the bezel on it and change a battery, but other than that, it's still a daily beater for me.

Sent from the Office of the Reincarnated President of the Republic of Texas

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not a 'G' but the Casio DW-200 Marlin I bought new in 198x (not sure of the year; online sources say intro was 1985 but I know I had it my last year in college, so I think it was '84) is still functional. I don't wear it right now because the o-ring seal is damaged and leaks (and I haven't found a replacement yet). I could wear it as long as I was very careful to keep it dry. 26 to 27 years, and worn constantly from 198x to late 2007-early 2008. Multiple band replacements and a few batteries.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
My 5600C dates from 1988 and it's still in great condition. On it's 2nd bezel and strap but the guts have held up well. Hardly a scratch on the back or front, and functioning as well as the day it was made! :)

Sent from Craggy Island parochial house using Father Dougal

·
Registered
935 Posts
With G-shocks, I've never known longetivity to be an issue.

You can buy a 'dead' G on ebay, and be almost certain that a battery change and good scrub up is all that will be required.

I bought the DW6900 shown below for a few Euros on ebay several months ago.....it is a 1995 model I believe.

One new battery, a little bit of dye, and sixty minutes of my time and a fully functioning 'beater' was ready for duty......

It is still water resistant enough for my needs, and has been proven to a depth of 50m by a diver friend of mine.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
i have a pre-g-shock watch the h-101, its from 1980 and i bought it from the original buyer. the battery has been changed, but the rest is original and working like on day 1 :)

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Aside from the resin, G-shocks seem to run for decades. Battery changes will be required, of course. There are a few lucky people on this forum with original 1983 5000's. I am not one of them---my oldest is a DW-5600C from the late 80's, but I need new resin for it.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I wonder if we can substitute the resin in our G-shocks with some other material. A metallic bezel would be a great option. I have a G7900 black that I plan to keep for a long time. The idea of a broken resin or bezel would not make me happy.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
my oldest is the first g-shock as dw-5000c-1a and it still running.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Up to last year when I sold it, I had a DW5200, bought in 1984 - it was absolutely mint having spent it's life in a drawer! I was always too afraid to wear it in case I scratched it (yes, I know, that not what G Shocks are for!!) So, it was 26 years old at time of sale...

Watch Digital clock Watch accessory Strap

·
Registered
182 Posts
Not a G but been going strong since 1984, wearing it as i type, BM-200, barometer the most accurate out of my whole collection, but new Mudman will be incoming soon, i hope.
Watch Wrist Watch accessory Technology Timer
Gadget Electronics Technology Electronic device Video game console

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
Not a G, but I bought this Casio some time in the early to mid-90's:

It's my yard work and "honey-do" watch, runs just fine after a few battery changes over the years.

I also have another analog Casio "Alarm Chronograph" I bought for <$10 around the same time, it now is with my younger son. Other than a new strap and half dozen or so batteries it's ticking away like new.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Oooooh, that is a very nice 5000!

I've been purchasing quite a few old G-Shocks off ebay going back into the 80s and so far I've experienced no electronic failure or even a light-bulb problem.
Most old G-Shocks have not died but disappeared to the back of dresser drawers, storage boxes or closets due to dead batteries, scratched crystals and broken bezels or straps which the owners felt unqualified to replace and didn't want to pay to have replaced. Often times, as well, watch owners simply grow tired of wearing "the same ole watch" and move on to something new just because.

Thankfully, a few old G-Shock owners eventually rediscover them when rummaging through their old stuff and put them up on eBay.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts