WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ordinarily I would put a new arrival in the "Show us..." thread, but I'm not sure I trust Crusader any more :-d Seriously, I think this watch is significant enough that it warrants its own thread. Significant both in time spent looking (actually: waiting, like a circling shark b-)) for it, expense, rarity and the fact that another PilMil member also just got his fourth point of contact in gear and bought one. This in turn has spurred me on to make photos and get posting!

Surely one of the larger aviation watches of its day - lug width is 24mm! I wish I could link to the great info on the Watch Addicts page, but it is currently down whilst moving. I will edit my post when Billy's site is back up.

Love the high acrylic on this one - you could fall in if you're not careful!

I don't speak Czech, but I think the first word there is "magic" ;-), and yes it is :-!

Lume has aged nicely.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
WOW Colin...that is absolutely gorgeous...the watch is in great shape, the crystal is fabulous, the case shape, crown, those hands...everything about the watch is indeed classic...congrats on a great purchase :)

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
But in this case it translates to "Magic".
A wonderful piece, Nalu!

Anybody know when they were decomissioned?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Beautiful photos Colin!

And what timing! Only had my 1937 issued 15.94 since Friday and yes - very easy to fall in love:-d - the unique case, the bubble plexi crystal and that lovely porcelain dial with cathedral hands - a real and rare beauty and I waited drooling for mine for a long time, too!

I had to let go of the Heuer Bund for this one, but I'm happy with the 'trade' as I think vintage pieces are best kept for occasional wear and looked after a little:)

I haven't had chance to take any photos of my own, but might dig up the sellers pictures. The hands on mine were re-lumed at some point and have a distinctly different patina than the numerals - They're not in as good condition as the hands on your piece, but the rest of the watch is otherwise very closely matched to your own wonderful example in terms of condition and I'm very happy with it.

I will post some pics on this thread once I get home (two weeks, yet).

It's a real find and one to cherish - mine's running about + 1 min in 24 hours so may have it regulated if I can find a dealer that I can trust.

Do Longines still service these, do you know?

Great thread, Nalu and wonderful pictures of a real gem.|>

They stopped making them in 1947 and by then had metal dials ( which age a lot more ) and a different movement

Here's an old thread with info from Billy:https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=202704&highlight=longines+czech+pilot

·
4,393 Posts
So that was Billy's watch...

Looks great, Colin! Can I have her next? :-d

·
4,393 Posts
So you finally snagged one Ian?

Congratulations! :-!

It was quite a long time coming. And yes pictures are need!

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do Longines still service these, do you know?

Here's an old thread with info from Billy:https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=202704&highlight=longines+czech+pilot
I'm not sure, but suspect they do. However I would probably trust someone famous for vintage restorations more. My watch has most likely been restored along the way as the lume is in too good condition for it not to have been.

I do know that Longines can provide some historical information on the watch if you send them the SN, see Billy's comments in the referenced thread.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Re: So you finally snagged one Ian?

Congratulations! :-!

It was quite a long time coming. And yes pictures are need!
Yup! And it was!

Thanks Strela

I'll get some pictures up just as soon as I get home. Be a couple of weeks though.

Cheers

·
Registered
976 Posts
Great looking watch - and still practical with the clear dial. Is that an internal bezel marker at 12?

Congratulations to both of of you, Colin and Ian.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Great looking watch - and still practical with the clear dial. Is that an internal bezel marker at 12?

Congratulations to both of of you, Colin and Ian.
Cheers John and yes, a small metal arrow pointer that rotates with the crystal serves as a simple timing marker - quite a neat solution and very unobtrusive.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I'm not sure, but suspect they do. However I would probably trust someone famous for vintage restorations more. My watch has most likely been restored along the way as the lume is in too good condition for it not to have been.

I do know that Longines can provide some historical information on the watch if you send them the SN, see Billy's comments in the referenced thread.
Cheers Nalu

Can you recommend one in UK/Europe? pm me if you'd rather.:)

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm a blind ungulate. The only place I've used for restos outside the US is Swiss Time Services for a couple of Omegas. Not even sure if they handle other brands.

Several folks have mentioned "Bry1975", who can be found on TZ-UK and RLT. The photos I've seen of his work look very good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts