WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everbody, I just wanted some opinions on the Longines Conquest Heritage vs. the Nomos Glashütte Orion. I have put this post in the two corresponding forums to get both sides' views.

My considerations:

The Conquest Heritage:

mtr_longines_conquest-heritage_conquest-heritage_l1.611.4.75.4_a_1.jpg

- Hesalite/plexi crystal
- Vintage look
- Auto movement
- Might be a bit too much with the large golden indices (I'm looking at the stainless with silver dial)
- ETA-movement
- Reasonably priced
- Swiss Made

The Nomos Orion:

Nomos-Orion-38-1.jpg

- In-house movement
- Cordovan horsehide strap
- Wears larger due to the lack of a bezel/dial all the way to the edge
- Manual movement
- Lack of date (although the 38 mm version is available with a date display, I think that it will be too large, mainly due to the length of the lugs, making the watch 47 mm from top to bottom)
- Price OK
- Made in Germany

I purposely did not list the above as pros/cons, as one man's pro might be a con for someone else.

(Pictures are not mine, they're from google)

Edit: I realize that the Orion I put in the post is the 38 mm. I working on a new picture!

·
Premium Member
36,436 Posts
Agree, if you get the Longines, get the non-date model. The bad date wheel and it's position really ruin an otherwise attractive dial on the Longines, IMHO.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hi!

The Conquest would be my choice.

P.S.: Is the movement of the Nomos inhouse indeed? I thought it was ETA (Peseux) 7001, probably decorated additionally.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'd also be curious to know if Nomos offers an in-house movement? My understanding was that they modified ETA movements... I might be wrong though. As everyone already mentioned, from the two options I would go with the non-date longines with silver applied indices (if it is offered). However the power-reserve seems rather low for a 2824-2? Is this the standard power-reserve time for most ETA 2824-2?

·
Ball Watch, Bremont and Longines moderator
11,594 Posts
Nomos is 100% inhouse now with the most recent hand wind movement in the Metro. The other movements still use an outside manufactured balance (to Nomos Specs), but will be moved to the inhouse over time. Otherwise they build everything for the rest of the movement and cases. I own a Metro and it is a excellent watch with a very different flavor versus the Longines. For it's price the Nomos is a better value (Even if it costs more) unless the Longines is less than $2K, but again buy what appeals to you more since it's not a value if you don't wear it. Note that the date on any Nomos is a big date, but the setting process is a little tedious.

Here are shots of my Metro which is the 100% inhouse movement:

Here is the Nomos Automatic movement. Not based on a ETA, but is a extension of the handwind with a rotor winding system and clutch added.

These are adjusted in 6 positions. Note that this movement in both handwind and auto has been around for a while. Pretty much the Nomos is superior to most ETA in nearly every way except Power reserve which is 42 verse the common 48 for ETA (2824 is 38hrs.), and date setting (You have to go back and forth with the hand to advance it. Granted the Nomos total production has not been produced at a volume remotely approaching even one movement line at ETA, but they have a great reliability reputation. In-house at a price point for the most part between $1.5K and $5K is pretty neat option if you like the looks.

Reactions: cjperry

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think the Nomos is a great watch, and out of the two I would probably pick that. If you are worried about the size being too big, also take a look at their other models like the Tangente, which is really similar in design, but a bit smaller.

·
11,594 Posts
I'll see if I can get pricing on the Conquest Heritage to help with your decision.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I know that there is plenty of love for Nomos on this forum....but I really can't help to show my love for Longines. I own two & this Conquest Heritage is on my short list of next watch to purchase.....I'd go for the Longines, but maybe just because I've been lusting after one for a while now.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'd say pass on the Longines. I had a flagship heritage, hated the cheap strap, grinding rotar and it gave me a poorer impression of the watch overall.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, although it has been a while, I just ordered a Nomos Orion 35 mm with steel caseback and blued hands. The Nomos dealer, which funny enough is out of town, although I live in the capital, had 20% off today, so I decided to do it. Now I just have to wait for them to get it from Nomos.
Oh, and I specified it with a size S strap. The standard size M is ridiculously long and with my 7 inch wrist, I had to use the second tightest hole, and that was a brand new watch and strap, so I suspected that when the strap would give, I would have to use the innermost hole.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Go for a pre-1969 Longines. It'll have an extremely high quality in-house movement and it'll be far cheaper than a Nomos. Or, just to add another option, a modern Rotary Super 25. Same look as the Longines Heritage, same movement even.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I would go with NOMOS, it's exclusive almost, smaller and more unique than Longines and it looks gorgeous. You're from Copenhagen! You should love the simplicity :)

·
11,594 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts