WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What a way to start winter: Just bought a used bi-colour Longines Conquest VHP, the original one with the dual-oscillator! That is the one before the perpetual calendar era. The watch case is in good shape, the sapphire crystal looks perfect, the bracelet shows its age at certain links. Age of the watch? The original VHP was manufactured between 1984-1995. My watch must be from the last production series because it looks very similar to my other bi-colour Longines Conquest VHP (with the perpetual calendar) that was made around 1996. Tomorrow, I will open the case back and have a close look of the movement. Good thing is that this one is fairly easy to calibrate even by the owner if there is a need for it (in theory the accuracy can be fine-tuned to within 2 seconds per year!). The watch has no box or papers and the bracelet is very short but I have spare links (from my other Conquest) so I can size it for my wrist.
(photo is taken from the net)

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
What a way to start winter: Just bought a used bi-colour Longines Conquest VHP, the original one with the dual-oscillator! That is the one before the perpetual calendar era. The watch case is in good shape, the sapphire crystal looks perfect, the bracelet shows its age at certain links. Age of the watch? The original VHP was manufactured between 1984-1995. My watch must be from the last production series because it looks very similar to my other bi-colour Longines Conquest VHP (with the perpetual calendar) that was made around 1996. Tomorrow, I will open the case back and have a close look of the movement. Good thing is that this one is fairly easy to calibrate even by the owner if there is a need for it (in theory the accuracy can be fine-tuned to within 2 seconds per year!). The watch has no box or papers and the bracelet is very short but I have spare links (from my other Conquest) so I can size it for my wrist.
(photo is taken from the net)
Geoge
Very nice watch., congratulation:-!.Please tell me how accurate is.

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Gents!:)
This is my first dual-oscillator model. At one stage I (wrongly) thought that every VHP were dual-oscillator so I believed that my very first VHP - the Longines Flagship VHP Perpetual Calendar - was dual-oscillator. Now, thanks to the common wisdom of this great forum I know better.
I set my new watch against an atomic time reference so it will be interesting to see how accurately it can run. I'm sure sooner or later I will have to calibrate it for best performance. I'll keep the forum posted about the results.

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
I like mine but I can't wear it yet since the bracelet is sized for a much smaller wrist... Longines can't supply the bracelet or links anymore so I might get desperate buy another Conquest just for the links :-d :-s :-d (I found a replica Conquest cheap enough... but I'm not sure how accurate the bracelet replication is so haven't jumped...)

Since it isn't a perpetual, setting the date is a pain with the very small crown. I bought a crown winder from Ofrei.com just to handle this watch! ;-)

Since I can't wear it, I haven't bothered doing a good time on it yet. But it is more accurate than most of my quartz from all apparences.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
It's a beaut, George! :-! They made it clear how to adjust the rate on that one.

I note that it is six jewels, but four are showing. That means that two arbors have jeweling on one side only. I wonder why they did that? (The cynical side of me is whispering that they wanted the visible arbors to be jeweled, even if that isn't necessary.)

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a beaut, George! :-! They made it clear how to adjust the rate on that one.

I note that it is six jewels, but four are showing. That means that two arbors have jeweling on one side only. I wonder why they did that? (The cynical side of me is whispering that they wanted the visible arbors to be jeweled, even if that isn't necessary.)
Thanks, Bruce!:)
The rate adjustment on this one should be piece of cake.|>
So far (it's only 50 hours passed since I set it against the atomic reference) it is on the beat so the movement has no major problem as far as I can tell.
I think, your cynical side is right about the jeweling of the movement.;-)
The only thing that somewhat changed my plan is the fact that the bracelet of this watch though looks very similar to the bracelet of my other Conquest is not compatible with that other one so I can't use the spare links from the other bracelet. I learnt this last night.<|
Well, I might get a new set of bracelet from Longines if one is still available. Alternatively, I might look around for a cheaper but good looking Conquest or Omega Seamaster on the second-hand watch market as both these could house my VHP movement or could provide me the missing links for my bracelet. It might take some time but I will find a satisfactory solution sooner or later.

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
The only thing that somewhat changed my plan is the fact that the bracelet of this watch though looks very similar to the bracelet of my other Conquest is not compatible with that other one so I can't use the spare links from the other bracelet. I learnt this last night.<|
Well, I might get a new set of bracelet from Longines if one is still available. Alternatively, I might look around for a cheaper but good looking Conquest or Omega Seamaster on the second-hand watch market as both these could house my VHP movement or could provide me the missing links for my bracelet. It might take some time but I will find a satisfactory solution sooner or later.
I noticed the difference in bracelets too.

My watchmaker says Longines is no longer a source of links or bracelets... so I've been searching for a comparable Conquest to use as a source of links... so far they have all cost too much.

I'm trying a replica Conquest (only $100 for the whole watch w/bracelet) ... I'll let you know if the replication of the bracelet is good enough to use as a link source.

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...I'm trying a replica Conquest (only $100 for the whole watch w/bracelet) ... I'll let you know if the replication of the bracelet is good enough to use as a link source.
Thanks, that would be great!

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
... I might look around for a cheaper but good looking Conquest or Omega Seamaster on the second-hand watch market as both these could house my VHP movement or could provide me the missing links for my bracelet. It might take some time but I will find a satisfactory solution sooner or later.
I found the solution though I went "further" than I thought I would...
Read the details here: https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=623421#post623421

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Cool watch so how does one calibrate this movement? Just curious.
Peace,
Preston

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
Check the stickies!

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
I'm trying a replica Conquest (only $100 for the whole watch w/bracelet) ... I'll let you know if the replication of the bracelet is good enough to use as a link source.
In the way of follow up... Well, the bracelets LOOK the same but are a smidgen off size... but some judicious grinding should let me add enough links to the bracelet to wear the watch... I just don't have sufficient spare cycles right now to devote to this. (My watchmaker said he would do it for me... but he has 6 watches right now --- including two Ti and Gold Conquests that he is building one good bracelet out of --- so I'll see if I can get to it first.)

BTW, the replica reminds me of the bad Rolex fakes... dial and back are wrong and it uses a quartz instead of an automatic mechanical. Only a tourist would be fooled... but there are lots of tourists...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts