WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of the classic dilemma regarding a new purchase, this one is about which watch to keep.

I've both watches. But I'm willing to sell one. Could you help me choose which one to keep?

They are both very versatile watches, both are sporty yet semi formal or dressy. They are robust and have decent water proofing mechanisms.

The Mido has, IMO, one of the best dials you can get at the price point. Even more, it is truly different to most of the things you will se in the 1500 range.

It has the movement displayed at the back, through a mineral crystal and the bracelet is solid enough as well.

However, the Longines Conquest has a very impressive bracelet and finishing quality in the case. The lack of applied lume in my model isn't an inconvenience, since the metallic markers really tend to pop out and work nicely with silver or white gold wristbands (I use that).

It doesn't display the movement, but it has a nicely engraved logo at the back.

In my eyes, the Mido offers great quality in the dial and the Longines offers a great quality in the case and bracelet (I believe I'm in love with that!).

Maybe the Mido wouldn't be so difficult to buy again, but in the white version. That way I could appreciate its dial even more (since the lack of AR coating is not that important if the dial is white).

The movements aren't so different, ETA 2824 in the Longines and ETA 2836 in the Mido, which means a day of the week function, no big deal.

Longines is, I believe, a more respected brand worldwide. Mido isn't that well known, but still it's important in my country. to be honest, Longines represents more when it comes to this pedigree issues (if I may call them that way!.)

So I'm not sure. The dial on the Mido is great, but the ' flashy effect' of the Longines is also nice (the exterior finishing and brand recognition).

What would you do?

Thanks!

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

·
Banned
5,307 Posts
Keep Mido. That Longines looks boring.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Well, I love both brands and agree that the Longines brand has the heritage but that Mido, especially with the grey dial and the bracelet is just killer. :)

I own a Mido OceanStar Captain and a Longines Hydroconquest and I have to say that the Mido really comes close to the Longines in fit and finish.
I think that Mido is positioned just under Longines in the Swatch brand hierarchy if that means anything to you.

In the end, this is a tough call and just go with your gut if you have to get rid of one of these. You really can't make the wrong decision in keeping either one.....or both. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm a Mido guy, so there is no doubt in my mind: keep the Mido. I have a bracelet Baroncelli, pretty much like the one you have, if not identical, and comparing it to my wife's Longines Master, it about the same quality, lacking only the design accents.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Agree with the previous posters.
The Mido looks far more interesting and I feel it is also more versatile than the comparatively crude-looking Longines.

The Longines isn't bad looking, just that when you put the Mido next to it there's no contest.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I had a Mido Multifort Power Reserve and loved that watch. It kept great time and was unique. I like both wtches, but I will be the devil's advocate and vote for the Longines.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I had that exact Mido and flipped it ... but nonetheless, between those two I would keep the Mido :) Or flip both and pick up a different Longines.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The Mido definitely. I dont even like day/dates but I will still vote for it. It has some real character to it and a fantastic dial. That particular Conquest is kind of bland to me.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
The Mido definitely. I dont even like day/dates but I will still vote for it. It has some real character to it and a fantastic dial. That particular Conquest is kind of bland to me.
my thoughts exactly. Mido looks way nicer than that Longines. Mido Multifort is a very unique design. Easy decision.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
24,498 Posts
You'll probably get more cash by selling the Longines. I like the looks of the Mido better, too.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Well, as you all said, it's clear the one who pops out.

However, I really like the Longines.
Maybe it is something about its crude, raw look, it's strong and primitive somehow.

I'll see how much a pawn shop can give me for the Longines and try to keep both (although the Conquest might be in standby for a while).

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
If you're going to a pawn shop... then just keep both.

Well, as you all said, it's clear the one who pops out.

However, I really like the Longines.
Maybe it is something about its crude, raw look, it's strong and primitive somehow.

I'll see how much a pawn shop can give me for the Longines and try to keep both (although the Conquest might be in standby for a while).

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
73,611 Posts
I'm going to swim against the tide as usual and suggest keeping the Longines. If you can find a way of keeping them both so much the better.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts