WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I am trying to take a difficult decision: Longines Hydroconquest L3.644.4.96.6 versus Omega Seamaster 300m Chrono Diver?
I like both of them and I am currently leaning towards Longines Hydroconquest L3.644.4.96.6, because it is half the price of Omega Seamaster 300m Chrono Diver; I want to buy a durable and quality diver's watch( with blue dial), that I could wear also everywhere - work, sport activities, parties...
I have three questions:
1.For me the only difference ( except the price) is that the Omega has Automatic-chronometer movement and the Longines has has only automatic movement( but not chronometer)- how important is this in terms of precision?
2.How about their DURABILITY?
3.And last, I live in US, how is the customer service of Longines versus Omega in US, in case there is a problem with these expensive watches?
Because I am completely new in the field of watches, I would appreciate your knowledgeable opinions.
Thank you very much for your time in helping me to buy a new watch .

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I don't like the crown guards on the Longines, looks a little too prominent. But if it looks good in real life and it's the one you like more then go for it.

I'll give you a little warning though, if you're settling for it due to price, you may end up regretting the purchase in the long run.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I tried on the Hydroconquest in person. IMO the big numerals were not my cup of tea.

But you may want to add bracelet comfort to your list of criteria.

Besides the chrono aspect (and the price) putting the watches in different leagues, I'd say the bracelets on those are in quite different.
The 20mm Bond bracelet on SMPC is renowned for it's supple comfort.
The HydroConquest is 21 (or 22?) non-tapering, with way bigger links. Won't be near as comfy especially on a smaller wrist.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I don't like the crown guards on the Longines. or the crown for that matter. The Longines is going to be quite a bit heavier and thicker due to it's movement. A chronometer grade watch is more accurate. The Longines could be every bit as accurate by chance or might be able to be regulated to be as accurate. If you are buying the Longines on price, you will always wonder what would have happened if you got the Omega. If you buy the Omega, you will not second guess yourself. Both watches should be equally as durable. IMHO I would get the black version because blue doesn't go with many shirts and black goes with everything. I do own a blue watch and an orange watch, so I know.

Really the Omega is more versatile because it isn't a chronograph. A complicated looking chronograph doesn't always go with every situation. The Omega Speedmaster is a chronograph that is frequently worn with suits, but the chronograph is understated in comparison to others.

I might trust a few different people to service the Longines, but I would only let Omega and a trusted few open one of my Omegas.

The Omega will have a noticeably superior fit and finish.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to take a difficult decision: Longines Hydroconquest L3.644.4.96.6 versus Omega Seamaster 300m Chrono Diver?
I like both of them and I am currently leaning towards Longines Hydroconquest L3.644.4.96.6, because it is half the price of Omega Seamaster 300m Chrono Diver; I want to buy a durable and quality diver's watch( with blue dial), that I could wear also everywhere - work, sport activities, parties...
I have three questions:
1.For me the only difference ( except the price) is that the Omega has Automatic-chronometer movement and the Longines has has only automatic movement( but not chronometer)- how important is this in terms of precision?
2.How about their DURABILITY?
3.And last, I live in US, how is the customer service of Longines versus Omega in US, in case there is a problem with these expensive watches?
Because I am completely new in the field of watches, I would appreciate your knowledgeable opinions.
Thank you very much for your time in helping me to buy a new watch .
1.- Both have the same movement, Omega has the better version on the movement. It will for sure get great accuracy -4/+6
The Longines may get good accuracy, but it's not guaranteed.
2.- Who's to know, both brands belong to the Swatch group so they have great build quality.
3.- I've heard good and bad experiences from both. Since both have the same movement, which is a very "common" Valjoux7750
my guess is that you could eventually "outsource" the maintenance and repair/servicing of the watch.

With all this said, if you really like the Omega, go for it. Now, if you really like the Longines and are curious about the extra value of the Omega,
and can't see where the money is going, go for the HC.
This is all of course, my humble opinion.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
Tough choice, both Swatch product arms, but I would take the Omega first. Better build, a solid reliable movement.

·
Registered
478 Posts
"Omega Seamaster 300m Chrono Diver"
He's talking about a chronograph, it just so happens that Omega's is a Chronometer rated Chronograph.
Otherwise the comparo would have next to zero meaning.

2225.80.00 Omega Seamaster Automatic Chronograph Mens Watch

vs

L3.644.4.96.6 Longines Sport Collection HydroConquest Blue Chronograph Watch
Thanks. It didn't make sense. The 300m Chronometer is just closer dollar wise and I didn't think they still made that particular Omega. Now that I know what piece we are talking about, I need to add that the Omega looks smaller than it says. The watch is listed as 41.5mm and it wears smaller than the 41mm SMP Chronometer. I've stared and tried it on and both me and a friend with 2254.50 agree it doesn't look that large.

While I dislike them both, I have to say the lugs on the Omega integrate with the bracelet way better and the big 12 looks goofy on the Longines. The Omega is classier looking by a long shot. I still say black for either watches unless you have others you can wear. A blue watch just doesn't go with a red/brown/yellow and many other coloured shirts and suits. Add Omega waves and I heard the lume is weak on the Longines.

It's a big difference in price and they do have the same movement, but the Omega will have better fit and finish. I don't think I could buy the Omega unless it had a different movement though. There are tons of 7750 watches in the $1200-$1500 range. I would however pay more for an 1120 powered Omega SMP...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
between he hydro conquest and seamaster, I've always felt that of the two cronographs the longines looked a bit better, but for the non-chronograph models the seamaster pro was much nicer.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I've tried the Hydroconquest when shopping for my PO, and honestly the Hydroconquest is not in the same league compared to the SMP (or close for that matter, not surprising since it's half the price).
When I wore the Hydroconquest it felt cheap: the 'clicks' of the bezel, the bracelet and clasp, the crown. When I played with it, it just felt like it would fall apart. Furthermore, the Hydroconquest's polish on the links isn't my cup of tea, but that's entirely personal ;).
All in all, I'd say that the SMP is probably more durable: it just feels sturdier compared to the Hydroconquest and definitely has a better finish and attention to detail.

Like someone else stated before me, if you're shopping in this price range and compared these 2 watches: just fork out the extra money and get the Omega, otherwise you'll always have that nagging feeling that says: 'should I have gotten the Omega instead?'.

Regarding your questions:
1. Chronometer means that the watch is certified by the COSC, which means that the accuracy will be between -4 and +6 seconds per day. If it isn't within those, you can get it adjusted under warranty. With the Longines, you don't have this guarantee.
2. I pretty much answered this already, but to conclude: the SMP definitely feels sturdier and more durable than the Longines.
3. I live in Europe, so unfortunately I can't really help you there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts