WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to take a difficult decision: Longines Hydroconquest L3.644.4.96.6 versus Omega Seamaster 300m Chrono Diver?
I like both of them and I am currently leaning towards Longines Hydroconquest L3.644.4.96.6, because it is half the price of Omega Seamaster 300m Chrono Diver; I want to buy a durable and quality diver's watch( with blue dial), that I could wear also everywhere - work, sport activities, parties...
I have three questions:
1.For me the only difference ( except the price) is that the Omega has Automatic-chronometer movement and the Longines has has only automatic movement( but not chronometer)- how important is this in terms of precision?
2.How about their DURABILITY?
3.And last, I live in US, how is the customer service of Longines versus Omega in US, in case there is a problem with these expensive watches?
Because I am completely new in the field of watches, I would appreciate your knowledgeable opinions.
Thank you very much for your time in helping me to buy a new watch .

·
Registered
14 Posts
They both have ETA manufactured movements inside of them. The Omega might be slightly more accurate over its lifetime, as it uses chronometer grade parts. My W3 uses a stock ETA 2824 (three hand watch) and was losing 3 seconds a day when I first got it. I would have a hard time justifying the price increase for the Omega when the Longines can be had for much less money.

Another thing to consider is if you want a chronograph. Chronograph movements provide more functionality than a traditional three hand watch, but they are more costly to service. A watch smith might charge double the price to clean a chronograph movement. Do you really need a chrono? Whenever you buy a costly investment you should consider the cost of maintenance.

I don't think you could go wrong with either watch.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I own a seamaster diver chrono mate and i can tell you its a great watch. It has copped some nasty treatment and its stood up to the task easily. I have it since late 2007, i had it serviced this year for the first time because it was losing about 15-20 sec a day. It now keeps near perfect time post servicing through my AD. The one thing that i dont like about it (im not sure if mine is just a bit dodgey), but the clasp isnt the greatest. It can come undone on its own accord quite easily..which pisses me off. But it is a great watch, heavy and thick, but the best looking chrono on the market by far! ;) any other questions just ask

·
Registered
14,392 Posts
I like the Omega chrono worlds more than the Longines. The Omega has a classic timeless style. I really don't like the hour markers on the Longines. Why do they use both a bar and a ball instead of one or the other? Then they have a third shape on the bezel. It's too much for me.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I can speak for the Omega, but I do have a non-chrono blue Hydroconquest & I have to say that it may be my favorite watch that I own. I think that by far it gets the most wrist time. (wearing it right now!)

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
The hydroconquest is a nice watch but it is not on the same level as the Omega IMO, if the only difference you see is the price and cosc movt on the omega, save yourself some $ and get the longines.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
Both are good watches, but the Omega, in my experience, is a great value. You will not regret having an Omega.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts